Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Ex-Pat Income Tax Questions

The last time I worked at an ex-pat job ( Kwajalein) was 1986-87 so I don't recall the income tax part. From what I understand you have be out of the U.S. at least 330 days for you income to be tax free. So in other words, if you wanted to come home for R & R/VAC to see your family you cant set foot into the U.S. for 330 days, right?

Correct.

However, the 330 day clause covers a 12 month period, NOT calendar year. For instance my first year overseas was from March 2005-March 2006. For tax return purposes, March 2005 until December 31st 2005 was prorated from the 330 day. Then for my 2006 return it did not matter because I was out of the USA the whole year so my year started Jan 1-Jan 1.

Trust me, just stay out over 330 days and let a good foreign income accountant do the rest!
    Thank you to the brave men and women of our great military, past, present and future for allowing my right to express my opinion and my opinion only, not representation of any company I may work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good advise

I also agree, best to let an expert on expat taxes do the math for you tax time. There are more things then just taking the expat out of country maximum deduction, there rent and clothes and other things that can be claimed as well, if you maintain a residence abroad.

I have been out of the US for the last 5 years, I only return for 2 weeks a year,mthat way I have an extra 2 weeks available just in case of an emergency. Always play it safe, just in case.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gentlemen, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!! Yea, the tax stuff is coming back to me now. About the only job I can hope for now is the position with Cugach since Dyn blew me off for AFG (???!!). If I'm lucky enough to get hired with Cugach I'll get with a tax person PRIOR to leaving and run the scenario by them so I know what I can do. Worst case scenario I'll fly the family to a nearby tourist friendly location OUT of the U.S. and VAC/R & R there. If I get Kwajalein I'll fly them to Pohnpei most likely.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eab943 View Post
    The last time I worked at an ex-pat job ( Kwajalein) was 1986-87 so I don't recall the income tax part. From what I understand you have be out of the U.S. at least 330 days for you income to be tax free. So in other words, if you wanted to come home for R & R/VAC to see your family you cant set foot into the U.S. for 330 days, right?
    Who do you remember from back then? I was on Roi 93-98...

Thread Information