Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Optic Migraines and being a Firefighter

My name is Wes and I am a POC firefighter from Wisconsin and I am just looking for some feedback of any kind. I suffer from optic migraines. My condition is not nearly as bad as many individuals which I am thankful for, but I am concerned about trying to become full time. If anyone else gets these optic migraines and knows what I am talking about please your input would be greatly appreciated. In my case they seem to be caused by lack of water, which I try to never let occur, but we all know once in a while we do too much. Also lack of food or calories may be an issue. What happens is I get a little flashy bulb in my left eye and then it gets bigger until it is really hard to see, however I do lose my vision completely, such as blindness. I manage them very well and I have only gotten one on the fireground when we were all sitting in the truck waiting to be released. I workout regularly and again gone to many fire calls and busted my tail and never got one, but once in a while they do happen. These migraines occur after physical activity. I can say with confidence I am not concerned about being in a structure and all of a sudden I get a migraine because mine are not like that. I love being a firefighter more than anything and am scheduling an appointment with a neurologist to see if I can help my situation anymore than just taking a pill when they occur. Any feedback would be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

The condition is more common than you'd think. Many factors play into them but hydration is usually a key factor. Your body can absorb around 20oz of water per hour... any sodas alcohol or other beverages act a a diuretic (dry you out). They key to hydration is drinking continuously throughout the day, 1 oz for every 10 lbs of body weight. The easiest way to pay attention to your hydration are 3 factors I've learned 1. Is your pee clear?. 2. Are you lips chapped or mouth dry? 3. Do you have water sitting next to you.

With optic migraines another factor is blood vessel dilation and constriction. You need to be able to warm up and cool down properly - in our line of work that doesn't happen. The meds your' taking are probably helps with vaso-dialation. Caffein surprisingly is a vasodilator but if you drink soda it acts as a diuretic.

Hydration , heat and physical stress play key roles in migraines. If you are dehydrated you should drink 20oz of water for every Lb of body weight and pay close attention to urine color.
    Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Thanks I appreciate it! I am actually not on any preventative meds right now, but I am hoping my doc can figure something out for me. Do you know if there has been good results with some preventative medicine?

Thread Information