Forum Member

Default Help with backrounds???

Good day everyone,

well Lately I have been getting to backrounds with my testing and seem to be the back breaker for me. I will give quick backround
    I tried marijuana and cocaine 1x each in high school which i have to disclose cause i failed a damn drug test. Anyways i also got a reckless driving in 2003. Now i am 27 and have gone to military for 4 years where I was honorably discharged. While i was in though got in trouble for being drunk at barracks(nothing illegal or violent) just typical to drunk for someone at barracks. So i still had a stellar military term and was a top grad at college fire academy and have worked as 911 EMT for 3 years and just graduated paramedic school. well i am obviously disclosing this in backrounds cause i would rather be eliminated for truth instead on lying since i feel lying once and getting caught, then your pretty much screwed for good. My question is realistically can i still get this job? its been 9 years and have not gotten in any trouble, will this always keep me away from dream? any help from knowlegable people would be a great help and really appreciated.

Thank You
    Navy medic

Forum Member

What happened at the barracks and what year was that?
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Navymedic73 View Post
    Good day everyone,

well Lately I have been getting to backrounds with my testing and seem to be the back breaker for me. I will give quick backround
    I tried marijuana and cocaine 1x each in high school which i have to disclose cause i failed a damn drug test. Anyways i also got a reckless driving in 2003. Now i am 27 and have gone to military for 4 years where I was honorably discharged. While i was in though got in trouble for being drunk at barracks(nothing illegal or violent) just typical to drunk for someone at barracks. So i still had a stellar military term and was a top grad at college fire academy and have worked as 911 EMT for 3 years and just graduated paramedic school. well i am obviously disclosing this in backrounds cause i would rather be eliminated for truth instead on lying since i feel lying once and getting caught, then your pretty much screwed for good. My question is realistically can i still get this job? its been 9 years and have not gotten in any trouble, will this always keep me away from dream? any help from knowlegable people would be a great help and really appreciated.

Thank You
    Navy medic
    When did you fail the drug test? And what kind of test was it, and for who?

Forum Member

i failed test in 2003 and it was for entry into marine corps when i was 17, thats why i figued to disclose it. Also the incidents at the barracks were in 2006. Nothing big just military thinking i was to drunk.

Forum Member

So any convictions?

Any court martial or art 15??

Any arrest?

How did you fell a drug test ??? Drug use a week month?? Before??

Forum Member

yes 2003 had DUI dropped to reckless driving and 1 of the military incidents was article 15(underage drinking) in 2005. Since then i Have no arrests, covictions, tickets.

I failed the entry dru+g test to Msarines in 2003. I was drinking night before at party and didnt believe someone when they said something was cocaine and i tasted it thinking it was BS and bam it wasnt and 2 days later i failed for weed and cocaine. Its documented 1x each for both and still was accepted into NAVY and later honorbly discharged.
    Just curious how long this will haunr me. i mean 8-9 years later and bam still not making past a backround (for smaller Departments)

Thanks for everyones help and would love more input

Forum Member

Default Background

You main obstacle is there are plenty with a cleaner record than yours. I was in the Navy and had my run at the bars and Shore Police. I had over thirty years as a Fire Fighter and you can to. Time is your friend and keep your nose clean and be truthful when you go through your Backgrounds and you will do fine. Good Luck!!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Thank you yeah I have been truthful for everything and its gotten me but i agree i feel when i hot the 10 year gap hopefully things will get better. Sucks stuff from 17-18 years old are haunting me even after military/academy/Paramedic/Honorble Discharge/silver star recipiant. Just annoying. But of course I will keep plugging away this is the job for me

Forum Member

Not Telling you to lie or not tell all, since I have done backgrounds before

But read what the application is asking and answer the specifics. You do not have to add to it

Not sure why you would add you failed a drug test

Yes the DUI and 15 will hurt you

Check each cities announcement and web sight, sometimes they put the disqualifiers on them, such as how many years before a DUI does not matter, or if they will let you even apply

Keep applying

What state are you in

Forum Member

Default Backgrounds

The usual question they ask is...."Have you ever" and if you have you must add it. If you do not and we find out your not truthful then your G.O.N.E. simple as that. Now if your doing an Oral exam and they ask you a question.......answer the question and do not elaborate.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Also, some departments can be more lenient than others, especially if there is some time since the offense(s). Keep testing and do some research on department MQs, etc...

Thread Information