Forum Member

Default Wanting to be a firefighter, how to get there from here.

Hey all! My name's Dave. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, if it is, feel free to move it. Long story short, I'm going to be a junior at my local university, and I have decided, after a lot of thought, (and ridealongs) that the fire service is definitely the path I want to take as far as a career goes. I have two years before I will seriously be looking at applying with my local salaried department. Right now, what I'm looking for is what I can do to make me hireable. Currently, I have my class B CDL, and about 6 months of experience driving 40 ft. buses. I also have my Red Cross CPR and Lifesaving qualifications, can speak fluent Spanish, and have spent the past three years working with disabled kids. I am in extremely good shape from a cardio standpoint, due to the fact that I have been taking Tae Kwon Do since I was 12. I have not done a whole lot of weight training, however. What should I be setting as priorities in the next two years so that I can get on my department? I have a volunteer department in my area which has openings in August. Would that be a good route to take, or unnecessary? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by darch; 06-20-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Forum Member

Anybody?

Forum Member

Yes join the volunteer it wiLl show you what the fd is like plus give you training

What state are you in???

Find out what the minimum requirements are to apply in cities/ state where you live,,, just to apply And get them

Suggest start applying and testing as soon as possible do not wait two years

Forum Member

Thanks! I'll certainly do the best I can to get on. I actually applied last time, but got beat out by two 25 yr. old paramedics (there were only two open spots), so this will be round two. And I live in Iowa, if that makes a difference.

Forum Member

As you see get the most certs you can get, because there is someone that has one more, and can make the difference

Also apply to any and every fire dept that is testing. Do not limit yourself to one, or you may never get hired

Forum Member

Forum Member

So, in your opinion, would the fact that I speak fluent Spanish be a positive hiring point?

Forum Member

Could help if the city you work in has need for translator

Our city pays extra because it is needed

Forum Member

My dept doesn't have a single Spanish speaker, period.

Forum Member

But the question is would the city you work for have a population that needs the service???

Forum Member

Absolutely. We have quite a few densely populated, low income neighborhoods where there are a lot of Spanish speakers.

Forum Member

I actually used before, but got defeat out by two 25 yr. old paramedics and there were only two start spots, so this will be circular two. And I reside in Wi.....

Forum Member

The flame support is a para-military company and in being so, terms like value, respect, dedication and reliability are as essential to the flame support as they are to the army. Pleases send your specs and prepare your self for this hard working profession.
    aged care Toowoomba
    Last edited by Gaven32; 11-07-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: correction

Forum Member

David,
    The BEST thing you can do is to finish your Bachelors degree. The reason for this is twofold; first and foremost a 4 year degree puts you well ahead of the average candidate. Those of us who make hiring decisions generally have Bachelors or Masters degrees. We appreciate the focus and dedication it takes to earn a degree. Additionally, our academy is very academically and physically challenging. A candidate with a degree lends to believing that he or she will have less challenges when it comes to academics. Once hired we will need to send firefighters to paramedic or haz mat school, again both are very academically challenging.

It's pretty rare to get hired before 22 or 23. I am not saying it doesn't happen, what I am saying is that it's pretty rare.

Lastly, having a 4 year degree will help you promote down the road. And lastly, you promised your parents you would finish :-).
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information