Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Customizing Helmets/Gear

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    I have to agree with you CommanderSims. After Re-reading my statement, I suppose that was abit asslike.

CommanderSims brought up a good point as well. I don't know about your companies, but I know my company has a moral problem sometimes, and honestly letting people do small modifications to their helmet that endangers them in no way can make them feel better about it. Thus helping us. I think as long as you can control it, and know when to say stop, There's no problem with it.

How can moral be a problem? Granted, I'm not in your dept, but from the outside looking in, you guys have nice gear, nice apparatus, a decent call volume, in a decent looking town, and great pizza.

Maybe chain of command? I dunno..but that is getting off topic.

We have a few guys who adorn their helmet with stickers, those eye stickers on the back of the helmet like " I have eyes in the back of my head" look, Honestly, I don't have anything other then the yellow/green tetrahedrons. I have a streamlite on my jacket, and rope in my pocket. I can see putting designator type decals..i.e. red for interior, blue for ems this color for hazmat etc. but once you get away from the basics it kind of makes people look like the "I fight what you fear Tshirt wearers"
    or the Find em hot leave em wet decal guys..whackers..not that you or anyone in your dept is, just saying what it might appear to other FF's and the general public.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    How can moral be a problem? Granted, I'm not in your dept, but from the outside looking in, you guys have nice gear, nice apparatus, a decent call volume, in a decent looking town, and great pizza.
    Great pizza? Must have been talking to Picc.93, but I can answer this question as your generalization of the department fits well.

I just got done writing an article for the newsletter that my IT Committee is in charge of publishing each month. It is an article that falls under a section we call "Chip off the old block" that is written by a firefighter with 10+ years experience. This firefighter, who is a Capt, specifically has over 30 years with the department. In the article he writes about the equipment that he had to work with while the department was still in it's infancy. Now we have great equipment and good back ups. Things we would have dreamed about 10+ years ago, and yet morale is in the tanks, mainly due to a lack of raises and loss of holidays. People easily forget how good they have it. But, still the same morale is low.

Forum Member

I was speaking with our Fire Marshal today and he pulled up the NFPA standard for fire helmets, which is NFPA 1971 I believe, section 6? Anyways, there it clearly states that the helmet is to have roughly 4 square inches of reflective, fluorescent markings visible from all directions. He stated that for a material to be technically fluorescent, it would either be orange or yellow/green, whatever color you call it.

SO, looks like I will be getting a new helmet soon. I will still be working to have customization approved. The main issue that the Fire Marshal stated was the issue of liability. That if the department did not enforce the standards it is required to follow then it could be held liable. With that in mind. My main theory and argument was to allow firefighters to customize their helmets to their liking as long as it met NFPA standards and the color-coding that the department has put in place. I love the look of my helmet blacked out, but I now understand that it does not meet NFPA standards and therefore it will be retired and used only for training purposes if even allowed in those situations.

I appreciate every ones input thus far.

While the NFPA does some great things as far as codes and standards for fire alarm, sprinklers, clean agent systems, kitchen supression systems and other things; there are times where I read some of the stuff they come up with and think that NFPA stands for Not For Practical Application....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSims View Post
    I was speaking with our Fire Marshal today and he pulled up the NFPA standard for fire helmets, which is NFPA 1971 I believe, section 6? Anyways, there it clearly states that the helmet is to have roughly 4 square inches of reflective, fluorescent markings visible from all directions. He stated that for a material to be technically fluorescent, it would either be orange or yellow/green, whatever color you call it.

SO, looks like I will be getting a new helmet soon. I will still be working to have customization approved. The main issue that the Fire Marshal stated was the issue of liability. That if the department did not enforce the standards it is required to follow then it could be held liable. With that in mind. My main theory and argument was to allow firefighters to customize their helmets to their liking as long as it met NFPA standards and the color-coding that the department has put in place. I love the look of my helmet blacked out, but I now understand that it does not meet NFPA standards and therefore it will be retired and used only for training purposes if even allowed in those situations.

I appreciate every ones input thus far.
    Seriously. Not that big of a deal. If you have the money sitting around to buy a new helmet simply because of the lack of stickers, you have too much spare money laying around. Got a bailout kit? Much better use of your money.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post

Maybe chain of command? I dunno..but that is getting off topic.
    [offtopic]
    Moral can be a problem in any department. It doesn't just effect my department. Yes my department has the problem sometimes. Check the news, Google my town and look what's your first result. Moral issues, After half your town's chain of command was arrested is going to happen. Now its just a matter of getting these guys into the mind set that it doesn't hurt us.
    PM me for more details as I don't want to spam such thread with offtopicness.
    [/offtopic]
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    I tend to agree with WD6956. I don't really see a need to allow a lot of customization of gear. All of our turnout gear is basically the same and we don't allow it to be customized. We use different color helmets and shields to distinguish officers from FFs and we use orange shields to identify probies.

We do allow members to purchase their own helmet shields and even helmets as long as they meet NFPA and conform to the color standards. I don't notice that those slight differences help me identify certain people on the fireground though.
    We have different color tets for rescue techs, that's a dept. thing, not an idividual thing. It also lets an IC or officer see what he has for resources, just as helmet color does. Or company number is color coded and removable so you can see what station and company you're with. (engine, ladder, rescue, medic) We can fill in at another station during a shift, so you can change your shield number to match what truck you are on right now. We can also add a personalized sticker or two if we want.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    [offtopic]
    Moral can be a problem in any department. It doesn't just effect my department. Yes my department has the problem sometimes. Check the news, Google my town and look what's your first result. Moral issues, After half your town's chain of command was arrested is going to happen. Now its just a matter of getting these guys into the mind set that it doesn't hurt us.
    PM me for more details as I don't want to spam such thread with offtopicness.
    [/offtopic]
    I know where your coming from. I used to be in a department that had the best of the best, had a pretty decent call load and still had major morale issues. Most of it stemmed from the leadership up above which were the guys that controlled the money but had very little to do with daily operations and usually over stepped their boundaries. This also led to a lot of in fighting which really drove morale down. Having a great station and the best rigs and equipment is not always a guarantee that morale will be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

My Dept. is lenient when it comes to helmets. They have issued Ben 2's, 1010's and 1044's so there's quite a mix anyway. I'd say 10% of the job have leathers, including several chiefs. They don't care what you stick on your helmet though there is an SOG regarding shield colors but they don't care if you get a FDNY, Boston, Detriot or whatever style shield so long as you generally follow the color SOG. Now, as for customization and markings so as to distinguish who is who, we have nothing standardized aside from the aforementioned shield SOGs. As someone said, I don't know who has a Shamrock or skull etc so you hear a lot of "hey, hey you..." when everyone is Scott'ed up. For that reason I have my last name across the back of my helmet with 3Decals. I have a FDNY style black shield with black pinned insert and white letters and black tets on my N5A. I have a flashlight and a folding knife in a rubber band and no other decals or stickers.

I was wondering if I could put a small badge or something somewhere on my gear that honors the 343. They were the reason why I got into firefighting and I think having something that honors them on my gear would be a nice tribute to remind myself why I chose this profession.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I was wondering if I could put a small badge or something somewhere on my gear that honors the 343. They were the reason why I got into firefighting and I think having something that honors them on my gear would be a nice tribute to remind myself why I chose this profession.

Check with your department SOPs/SOGs. Each department is different, some allow it and others don't.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    you need to get through an academy before thinking about that.
    slackjawedyokel likes this.

Forum Member

Curious why it matters who is on the hose behind you or who is doing what? If they are on the fire ground then they have the training to be there and it shouldn't matter who the guy next to you is.

I can understand wanting to know who the officers, etc. are but as for the person beside you fighting the same fire, I see no reason to know their name other than brother or sister.

We have no real policy in place other then following the orders of color (white - chief officer, red - capt., yellow - firefighter) Hoping to change tho so black is firefighter and yellow is cadet/probie and blue is medical but we need the funds for new helmets first.

On another subject, I have only two stickers on my helmet which replaced two tets. One says Asst. Chief and the other says Paramedic. This is used to identify me from the rear as our coats don't have names and I'm the only white helmet that is a paramedic.

Just my 2 cents feel free to ignore.

Forum Member

Default Wow... that came from a Chief?

Quote Originally Posted by mach158 View Post
    Curious why it matters who is on the hose behind you or who is doing what? If they are on the fire ground then they have the training to be there and it shouldn't matter who the guy next to you is...

On another subject, I have only two stickers on my helmet which replaced two tets. One says Asst. Chief and the other says Paramedic. This is used to identify me from the rear as our coats don't have names and I'm the only white helmet that is a paramedic.

Just my 2 cents feel free to ignore.
    "One says Asst. Chief..."

The below is given with all due respect of the position you claim to hold.

You are an Asst Chief, and you don't understand the importance of knowing who is on the line behind you? The person you are trusting your life with? The person, that when things go south, you need to KNOW you can count on to not leave you and do everything in their power to get the both of you out?

You don't understand that there are "experienced" firefighters who do this job for other reasons not to include the fact that it is something they truly love, such as an easy paycheck, good schedule, etc? That will leave you stranded and not think twice about it when things may get a little hairy?

You have never been in a structure on a line, turn around because you need help with slack and find that the slack isn't being pulled because no one is there?

You think that a firefighter straight out of rookie school is the same as a firefighter with 20 years experience?

It is "Chiefs" like yourself that keeps putting rookie firefighters in positions that they should never be in. Putting rookie firefighters with 1, maybe 2 years experience into a position where they are in charge of a truck. Having two firefighters whose total years of combined experience don't equal more than 5 years in a structure together.

Let's make this clear. I am not saying that you have done any of these acts... and maybe you have, but the comment you made above is the kind of comment that would come from an officer of any rank who would.

In my opinion: There is a huge difference between one firefighter and another. It is VERY important to know who is on the line with me so I know what to expect out of them, and anyone who says that there is no difference from one firefighter to another has not been in the service long or has been off the truck too long and needs to get a reality check.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    While the NFPA does some great things as far as codes and standards for fire alarm, sprinklers, clean agent systems, kitchen supression systems and other things; there are times where I read some of the stuff they come up with and think that NFPA stands for Not For Practical Application....
    Yes!!!!I am not the only one. I never thought of the last part but everyone that quotes something as NFPA standard bugs me. Cause most have never read the standards.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSims View Post
    "One says Asst. Chief..."

The below is given with all due respect of the position you claim to hold.

You are an Asst Chief, and you don't understand the importance of knowing who is on the line behind you? The person you are trusting your life with?
    Ok am going to respond to this.

If there are people on that fire ground that you are worried are going to leave you in a fire. That person should not be on the dept. and I am not talking probies or rookies.

I will say a probie/rookie needs to be identifiable. But not so you don't go into a fire with them because you can't trust them but so you can keep a closer eye on them as a senior man. To help keeping them from making mistakes or making sure they get to do something to learn and make them a better firefighter.

Also as a senior member that probie should be on the nozzle and your the back up man. For this point I will quote one of my Capt. "I will go interior with ANYONE as long as there in front of me. So I make sure they wont leave me."

After that a firefighter is a firefighter. No matter there level from probie to chief anyone that leaves you in a fire needs to no longer be a member.

You seem like someone that has a chip on his shoulder.

And I am not saying there isn't a difference but it shouldn't matter as long as they are an experienced firefighter. Standard of training and standard of attack you should know what to expect. How do you think big city depts or mutual aid work where it doesn't matter how identifiable they are your still not going to know anything more then they are another firefighter.
    Last edited by Tipys; 12-06-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

thats some horse****

Forum Member

thats garbage

Thread Information