Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Questions about SCBAs and other items

I have a couple of questions for you guys. I applied last year for a couple of air packs and new hose but we were turned down. We made it to peer review for what it is worth. We are replacing 2 old Scott air packs that no longer meet standards. I know that when purchasing new air packs they must meet NFPA 1981, 2007 Edition and be CBRNE certified. Can you purchase packs from say Dalmation fire that meet these specs with funds provided through FEMA?

Another question I have. We provide BLS for our area, though we do not respond unless requested by an ambulance. I hope to change that soon. Anyway, we have 5 Basics and 1 Paramedic and the rest of the members do not have any medical training. I would like to get them up to at least Medical First Responder. Can we apply for 2 AEDs for both of our pumpers along with Pulse Ox and medical bag even though we have low run volumes for calls? It would be nice to have these items on every type of call that we respond to.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Forum Member

3 statements to answer fully...

1) If you're applying for only 2 SCBA that means you must have at least 10 that meet at least the 2002edition. NFPA requires 12 minimum per department for those that didn't know, otherwise can't meet 2in/2out with 6 person recommended initial attack...Anyway, if you do have 10 meeting at least the 2002ed and only need to replace the last 2, you're 83% compliant. No need for a grant to fix that situation.

2) AFG pays for new stuff with warranties, unless you apply for used trucks. If they're selling new with warranty then you can buy from them. Most have 10 year warranties from the manufacturer, wouldn't mess with anything less than that at 95% off since you get enough money from AFG to buy from anyone. Nothing against Dalmation, great deals if you are buying from budget, but grant money should be spent on all new with full warranties.

3) AEDs have nothing to do with responding, need them on apparatus per the new standards. Even if you don't take care of the public cardiacs still leaing cause of LODDs, have to take care of our own. Can get a pulse-ox too, but not seeing a grant needing to buy you a bag to put stuff in. Would be empty since AFG doesn't pay for disposable stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

So would they turn a grant down if a small department only asks for 8 SCBA not 12? My department is part of a regional grant. I only have 12 firefighters. I have 4 SCBA's that are 2007 compliant and as part of the grant im asking for 2 more. We rarely have more then 6 or 8 firefighters at any structure fire and that included tanker driver and pump operater. We felt it would be a waste to ask for 12 SCBA's and also it would put out cost benefits way high.

Forum Member

In the next 10 years you're never going to have more people join? After all this should be more of a long-term solution that we're looking at meaning that you are very unlikely to get an SCBA grant again from them, that's why they're checking prior awards.

It's technically dealer's choice, and if explained I'd doubt they'd turn you down if got that far, but that also locks you into no more SCBA by AFG for 10+ years. So if the department does grow, what then? Another 2? Showing 6 compliant packs asking for 2 more? That's starting to read like a nickel-dime scenario instead of a real solution.

We've gotten 12 radios for a 6 person department at the time of application. They were just starting out and in the app as part of a regional, and even pointed out that they only had 6 members. Not even a blink at that since the department has to be prepared no matter how many firefighters are there. Worked out well since within 3 months after submission they had 10 people. By the time the award was announced they picked up a FF that moved into the area for 11 and now have 16 members. They already have the radios so they're ahead of the game. Had we done 6 they would have been trying to find $18,000 to buy 6 more, and with cuts in awards and competition going AFG isn't going to reward hindsight with any likelihood.

Also just to throw it out there, the best cost-benefit arguments are not calculations. Like I said in another thread we got one funded at over $600/resident/year for a pumper which if I had tossed out there last July before the app period y'all would have said I was nuts. And I am, don't get me wrong, just not for that reason. Using the ratio means get enough to solve the issue but just don't be picking Cadillac knowing it's just a Chevy with shiny stuff glued on it....

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info on the airpacks. I learned a little bit there. I didn't know 12 were required per dept. Right now we have 8 compliant packs, with 13 seated positions. But NFPA 1901 requires a minimum of 4 packs per truck even though we have seating for 2 on one truck. Should I go after more packs? What do you recommend? As far as the AED and Pulse Ox I have that part of the app complete. I put in for a bag but I did read where they would not pay for disposable items. Guess I will give it a try and see.

EMS bag wouldn't be considered disposable, so it's eligible. But just like many other small ticket items, just because they are eligible doesn't mean go for it. Don't lose $3,000 for an AED and Pulseox because you want a $100 bag.

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you BC79er, your very correct. I guess I wasnt really thinking long term. Thanks for the imput.

Forum Member

Think positive man, if you have it they will come put it on. Glad to see I'm not the only one not sleeping around here. Nothing like a Monster at 10pm coupled with the metal MP3s to get the juices flowing and keep it going....

Thread Information