In the 3-part University of Extrication series that ran on the VOLT 'thermal events', there was an SOG template provided for developing your own SOG for electric plug-in vehicle incidents. It is based on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's recommended 'interim guidelines'.

One knowledgeable fire officer from Wisconsin wrote to take issue with some of the SOG template. Here are portions of his comments;

"I have read all three of your parts on the Chevy Volt published in the Firehouse Magazine. After seeing a couple of these that had burnt, it was nice to find out finally what the problem was so I and other department members could watch for this on call if we happen to come upon one of these vehicles.

The only thing that I question is labeling the vehicle as a high voltage shock hazard. Yes I do understand that the vehicle does have a large high voltage battery built into the structure of the vehicle and yes that the battery itís self does have a lot of stored electrical energy but the hazard to fire dept and ems personnel is no greater than working on a regular gasoline operated vehicle.

All of these vehicles as you must know have their connections that are potentially high voltage covered in orange and are not easily accessed. There are also many safetyís that are triggered in the event of a collision that stop all current flow from the high voltage and 12 volt systems, whether it be the fuel pump shut off, High voltage, Thermal sensors in the pack, Ground Fault monitor or the SRS system all of which will stop the current from the High voltage system.

I know that much of what was put in the SOG is a guideline for departments to use and adapt to what they feel they need but I think at times it can also scare many people who donít have much experience with these types of cars and could hinder them providing pt. care thinking they could be electrocuted if they touch the vehicle after it has been in an accident."

Do You Have an Electric Vehicle SOG? or one for Hybrids?

Can You Use the One Provided in the University of Extrication VOLT article?

Let me know...