Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 2012 AFG submission number

Forum Member

EMW-2012-FO-02615 July 5th around 1100.

MembersZone Subscriber

County wide regional communications grant EMW-2012-FR-00044 Submitted 7/2/2012
    4 fire department regional PPE and SCBA grant EMW-FR-00192 Submitted 7/6/2012 at about 0025 hrs

Forum Member

Just under 12,000 apps total not including paper submissions, about 5,000 off from last year. Looks like either a lot of people didn't need anything or folks got caught with their pants down on the app period and length of opening...depending on the SAFER app count might have all in Peer Review because of the low total.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive talked to alot of people here in Louisiana and they did not apply. When I asked why they wouldnt apply it boiled down to they were fed up with the process and frustrated that departments with several million dollar budgets and large tax bases got funded last year and the small deparments that have budgets were passed over. Same thing for some of my friends in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Texas.

Forum Member

Ah yes, cover that in one of the first handful of slides in my workshops, Perception. Budget size has nothing to do with need. After all pretty sure those large tax base departments with million dollar budget might have something called a payroll that takes care of that money in a pretty quick fashion. Only reason my department has nice stuff is the fact that we have 500+ volunteers so we don't need to increase the paid side.

Certainly not every well-written, well-designed application gets funded, but I've heard a lot of folks we've worked with complaining until they see the difference in how we argued versus how they argued. Sometimes those that complained the most had 1-2 sentences per section. And those that complained they couldn't get bunker gear and had compressors, rescue tools, and all sorts of other stuff in the app too. Not saying everyone is always going to hit the money, but I'll stand by the fact that this program spreads money around otherwise we wouldn't have gotten a $290k pumper for a department with 400 residents in 200 square miles of first due area in 2011.

Can you ask for more if you cover more people? Sure, I can do certain things with the larger departments than I can with the smaller ones. But not wanting to take a few hours to put the application together over a little frustration? Sounds to me more like those that don't need the money right there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll stand by the fact that this program spreads money around otherwise we wouldn't have gotten a $290k pumper for a department with 400 residents in 200 square miles of first due area in 2011.

Sounds like West Texas

My philosiphy is if you dont apply you have no chance, so ive applied every year except for 2010 due to some health issues. Great program im just afraid its on its way out.

Forum Member

Was Kansas actually, but hit West & Central Texas for similar in past years. Heck one year we worked half the funding that NE got, and lots of the regionals were for smaller areas. Of course like you said, don't apply don't get. SAFER is the one that needs to go back to the drawing board, welfare never works out. In some spots FD has become a target for layoffs since the powers that be think they can just get a SAFER for FFs so why lay off anyone else that can't get replaced. IMHO if they want things to actually get better, cut SAFER in half, limit the layoff/rehiring to once per department and the amount per award, and then put the other half into the station program. That will do more for the economy than SAFER will.

Forum Member

Peer review still on for the 19th-24th of Aug?

Quote Originally Posted by dist8229 View Post
    Ive talked to alot of people here in Louisiana and they did not apply. When I asked why they wouldnt apply it boiled down to they were fed up with the process and frustrated that departments with several million dollar budgets and large tax bases got funded last year and the small deparments that have budgets were passed over. Same thing for some of my friends in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Texas.

Quite simply, if departments have not gotten AFG grants it is due to one of two things in 99% of the cases.

1. They are not applying

2. They are doing it wrong.

I still see departments arguing that everyone else gets the grants but them, and it is unfair, yet they have never been to a seminar (Either free or paid) and have a "different" outlook of what the grants can do

OH PPPUUULLLEEEZZZE! Really! You know that is getting to be a really tired old response that is just absolutely not based in fact at all. I've been helping those small departments for years and they get funded just as many times as the big boys do. Let's see go ask Iberia Parrish about their Regional Comm Grant, how about the ladder truck for Natchidoches, what about Morgan City, Atlanta, Caddo FD, Eunice FD,Galvez-Lake FD or St Tammany just to name a few that I known I have assisted? I am sure Brian can name many more.

But you know what? That's just fine by me. If they want to sit it out and pout about how unfair the system is to them then they are welcome to just pull up a chair and the group of them can have a great big ole pity party.

While they are doing that, I'll be working with those departments that are tired of losing and want to invest a little time and effort to find out how to do it right and reap the benefits.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

look at it as they just increase my chances...

MembersZone Subscriber

The unfortunate thing, there will always be naysayers about the AFG and how their department is not funded for their application while their neighbors are awarded on a consistent basis. It is the same sob story year in year out. In reality, it is easier and less time consuming to find a solution to the problem than just complaining about their plight.

How hard is it to seek out those departments and ask for some guidance? It isnít.

How hard is it to follow the PG and stick to priority items? It isnít.

How hard is it to submit a quality project? It isnít.

How hard is it to find someone to review your work before submitting the application? It isnít.

Every department in this country has the opportunity to be awarded an AFG grant. Those that do put in the time, effort and commitment to give their departmentís application the best possible chance. Stop griping and follow their lead.

Forum Member

FV-03793 4:20 Eastern
    FO-07174 approx 4:58 Eastern

MembersZone Subscriber

I think I struck one of Kurts nerves. LOL but seriously I dont like hearing that people arent applying, because that doesnt show a need. If we dont show the need then its going to be alot easier for Washington to take the pogram away from us.

I think I struck one of Kurts nerves. LOL but seriously I dont like hearing that people arent applying, because that doesnt show a need. If we dont show the need then its going to be alot easier for Washington to take the pogram away from us.
    Yep, like rubbing salt in an open wound. Nothing perosnal here, just a real pet peeve of mine. I just hate to listen to the whiners and those who feel as though they are entitled.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

3:46 pm on July 6th, FO 06528.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

I always enjoy the people who's grant writers tell them they dont qualifiy for anything even though they have outdated turnouts and SCBA and old apparatus. When you bring up getting another grant writer that opens up a whole other can of worms.

Forum Member

I've seen awards for AFG go to departments large and small, so I think the arguments that the small departments don't get anything ring very hollow. A local department with a budget of $50k a year won a new tanker truck two years ago thanks to AFG. I don't really have a gripe with the program, and I say that despite the fact that after four years of trying we have yet to be awarded.

SAFER however is an entirely different story.

I wrote one for a department here and they got to the late rounds before getting a DJ. I told the chief that we'd be wise to just make slight adjustments, update the numbers, and re-submit the same thing the next year. "I know why we didn't get funded," he said. "Why?" "Because I'm a Democrat."

Brilliant.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

I am pleased with the results of AFG. We are a small department and have been funded a few times. Our County has been funded twice under regional grants.

One last thing I would suggest is people stop asking for the wish list and stick with what is needed.

And Kurt and Brian are correct. Read and reread and reread the questions and your responses. Two sentences can't explain your need. This year I actually had to cut back on my responses because I gave too much explanation.

I don't post much anymore but I felt it important for smaller department people to hear from a smaller department guy who has written the grants for the department and have been awarded.

It can be done.

Thread Information