Forum Member

Default diet routine...maintaining...

I am new to this site but wanted to see if anyone could share some knowledge i am trying to find a good meal plan that would work well with the rotations at the station as well as the at home time i find myself eating to much while at the house and want to find a way to balance everything out. any information would be helpfull (thank you)

Forum Member

I have struggled with weight most of my life and think that eating in the fire house is difficult. However, to directly answer your question, I think that the Weight Watchers diet might be the easiest. All veggies and fruit are unlimited so you can snack all shift on these and feel satisfied. Also, they sell frozen dinners that are delicious and filling. The food plan is even easier at home. It is true that you would be eating differently than your shift but perhaps you could gain their approval of your different plan by offering on occasion to cook veggies for everybody. Good luck.

Forum Member

I find that the Weight Watchers food plan is excellent for maintaining weight loss. It includes a generous amount of fruit and vegetables. As far as the Fire House, I think that you can bring food that is on the WW food plan to the Fire House. They have very tasty frozen dinners that can be fulfilling. You can add a salad or cooked veggies and fruit. The trick for dealing with weight issues in the Fire House, I have found is to not feel that I have to eat what everyone else is eating. My life is at stake. I need to take care of myself.

Forum Member

A healthy eating plan gives your body the nutrients it needs every day while staying within your daily calorie goal for weight loss. A healthy eating plan also will lower your risk for heart disease and other health conditions.
    A healthy eating plan:
    - Emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
    - Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts
    - Is low in saturated fats, trans fat, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars
    Controls portion sizes
    There are many resources and website related to health and fitness is available online visit the website and learn more about the same.

Forum Member

I believe this is the single most critical issue facing us in the Fire Service. If we are over weight or obese our potential to fight fire is in great jeopardy. All of the good efforts nationally and regionally have not turned the tide but I believe that we can "fight this fire"!

Thread Information