Forum Member

Default Question About Certifications

Alright so I have been scouring the boards looking for the answer to my question, and I haven't been able to find it, and my recruiter can't help me either (i know what you're thinking, and i think the same everyday)
    I am a prior service E-5 in the Army, I have joined the guard as a 12m and am looking to know what certifications you get when you attend the Goodfellow Firefighting Academy?

I didn't join for the certifications, I joined because I truly love my country, and love to defend and protect the people of the United States, but I also want to work as a civilian fire fighter, and after having the heart break of not being selected by a city a couple weeks ago, i realize that i need to make myself more appealing to departments. I am enrolled in college working towards my BS in Fire Safety Administration, but any other certifications would be great to have.

If you could help me out an let me know what certifications if any I will receive that would be great. Thank you all

Forum Member

Last edited by fire49; 06-29-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Forum Member

Don't quote me, but I think you get:

FF I
    FF II
    ARFF FF
    HazMat Ops
    HazMat Aw

Our dept just had a guy return from there. I'll ask and re-post.

Forum Member

devildog is right on all of those but you also get First Responder.
    Firefighter/Engineer
    Volunteer FF 2006-2010
    Air Force FF 2010-Present

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4 View Post
    Don't quote me, but I think you get:

FF I
    FF II
    ARFF FF
    HazMat Ops
    HazMat Aw

Our dept just had a guy return from there. I'll ask and re-post.

And they get pro board certs also???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdulski View Post
    Alright so I have been scouring the boards looking for the answer to my question, and I haven't been able to find it, and my recruiter can't help me either (i know what you're thinking, and i think the same everyday)
    I am a prior service E-5 in the Army, I have joined the guard as a 12m and am looking to know what certifications you get when you attend the Goodfellow Firefighting Academy?

I didn't join for the certifications, I joined because I truly love my country, and love to defend and protect the people of the United States, but I also want to work as a civilian fire fighter, and after having the heart break of not being selected by a city a couple weeks ago, i realize that i need to make myself more appealing to departments. I am enrolled in college working towards my BS in Fire Safety Administration, but any other certifications would be great to have.

If you could help me out an let me know what certifications if any I will receive that would be great. Thank you all

You might just want to get use to coming in second place, till you hit the grand prize!!!!

Also hear great things about capt bob's program, might look into investing in that

What state are you in????

Forum Member

You get IFSAC certs but you can transfer your IFSAC certs to proboards for a small fee.
    Firefighter/Engineer
    Volunteer FF 2006-2010
    Air Force FF 2010-Present

Forum Member

Thank you everyone for the clarifications everyone. I am in Lexington, Ky right now, but looking to move out of Kentucky as I am originally from Massachusetts, and Kentucky just doesn't suit me.

Fire49 im not sure if i understand any of your post.... what do you mean coming in second place? And what about Capt. Bobs program? Im new to the site, i have seen Capt. Bob as one of the go to for answers on the board, but im not sure i fully understand. Thank you

Forum Member

There is a reason you did not get the job

Testing, interview, application, resume ????

I do not know capt bob, have not read his material but it seems to work, just a suggestion

http://www.eatstress.com/

Forum Member

IFSAC Firefighter I & II, ARFF, Hazmat Awareness & Ops & First Responder

Forum Member

Shredddin is right, but i am truly sorry you joined the 12m mos. You wont even save a cat from a tree
    Last edited by Gasgage; 08-06-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Forum Member

For the military and Feds:
    Just saw a draft memo going around that DoD will no longer require you to submit your IFSAC/NPQ certs for reciprocity. They will still need a copy of your cert to maintain the database for what you have, but no more sending in state certs to get one back with a DoD seal.

I think this is to alleviate an issue that came up a couple months ago, when someone at DoD interpreted the IFSAC rules to require that someone from the reciprocating agency had to witness the training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    For the military and Feds:
    Just saw a draft memo going around that DoD will no longer require you to submit your IFSAC/NPQ certs for reciprocity. They will still need a copy of your cert to maintain the database for what you have, but no more sending in state certs to get one back with a DoD seal.

I think this is to alleviate an issue that came up a couple months ago, when someone at DoD interpreted the IFSAC rules to require that someone from the reciprocating agency had to witness the training.
    Does this mean applicants with certs from non IFSAC / Pro board states will be able to have their certs considered again when they apply?

I left DoD several years ago, and at that time applicants with California certs were having a hard time making the eligability lists since California is not an IFSAC / Proboard recognized state.

I get a lot of seasonal firefighters that are interested in DOD fire, but don't really have a practical way to get IFSAC / Proboard recognized training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    Does this mean applicants with certs from non IFSAC / Pro board states will be able to have their certs considered again when they apply?
    No. All training must still be accredited via IFSAC or NPQ. The only difference is DoD will no longer give you a separate DoD IFSAC certificate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    No. All training must still be accredited via IFSAC or NPQ. The only difference is DoD will no longer give you a separate DoD IFSAC certificate.
    That makes sense, I never really understood the double cert thing since they are all essentially IFSAC/Proboard whether is says Bucks County, Alabama Fire College or DoD on the paper.

Thanks

Thread Information