Thread: Grants question

Forum Member

Default Grants question

Hello there. As you can see i'm new here, and i'm new to the world of fighting fires. I joined a small rural volunteer department in Northern MN last january. My question is in regards to grants for Turnout gear and how they go about awarding them (if its even possible to narrow down the criteria.

Let me preface this by saying I have no involvement in us applying for a grant, its just more of a mere curiosity than anything.

I'll give you a little background, as much as I know at least.

We recently received a grant for a new tanker truck, which we have just placed an order for from Fouts Bro's, and should have it in our possession by mid september (so they say as of now). I'm not sure exactly when that grant was awarded, but i'm guessing sometime in 2011 as they were talking about it back in january when I started. We also submitted a grant for turnout gear last year, which we had just been rejected for as of about a month or so ago.

My main question is, does the more times you apply and get denied help your chances in the coming years? or does it more depend on the quantity/need of the department as a whole?

I fully understand that the new guy gets whatever is laying around that will somewhat fit, but i'm excited and hopeful we get this grant. my bunker pants don't close all the way, but luckily my coat covers it up for now. Being i'm a rookie i don't see myself going interior attack anytime soon, however if the situation arises i would be somewhat nervious going inside with some bunker pants that could flap open with a wrong twist or turn of my body.

but either way it is what it is and i'm just glad to have something. so far the first 6months have been quite a time. I thuroughly enjoy it.

thanks in advance for any advice that can be given to a rookie

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    My main question is, does the more times you apply and get denied help your chances in the coming years? or does it more depend on the quantity/need of the department as a whole?
    Each year, the slate is wiped clean so to speak. The reviewers/computer have no knowledge of your previous requests unless you tell them.

Every year, the program priorities and scores change depending on the amount and type of applicants. Likewise, each year your equipment/PPE gets older and older so an award that didn't work last year, may very well work next year since everything ages with time.

If you were denied in April, you made it to the peer review but did not receive a favorable enough score for funding. That's a good thing; it can be fixed with a solid narrative, for the most part. Last year, 89% of all applications were denied.

Polish up and try again this year. Good luck to your department.

Forum Member

cool, thank you! we were sitting around the fire hall after a call friday night, and it came up that we were putting in again for it, after getting home it made me start to think. and since i found this site a few weeks ago, and have been reading back pages in the 100's in some of the forums i figured it would be a respectable question to ask.
    Last edited by Daped01; 07-01-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Thread Information