Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Portable Radio Price Cap

Writing a regional grant for communications that will vastly increase interoperability between all of the departments in the area, though only three are part of this grant. The largest of the three is requesting a high number (more than 50, less than a hundred ) portables and the spec they want lists at about $3500 per radio. I don't want their request to kill our chances. Does anyone know if there's a max on the per unit portable radio cost?

Thanks very much. MG

Forum Member

$3,500 is reasonable for a p25 compliant digital radio.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Davepa. I always try and appear needy, not greedy, and I was worried about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by davepa View Post
    $3,500 is reasonable for a p25 compliant digital radio.
    Depends on how you interpret that statement...lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Depends on how you interpret that statement...lol
    just seeing this now....very funny

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone care to let me in on the joke?

Forum Member

We paid only $600 for P25 digital compliant radios - but we haven't been snookered by Motorola into believing that the only way we are complaint is to buy 800mhz equipment. It's hard for me to understand paying $3500 for a radio.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've always tried to avoid requesting the Cadillac of equipment on an AFG grant requests, and it gets tough when you start dealing with a regional grant where the departments not putting in the work just go for pie in the sky. The more effort you put into writing a grant the more desperately you want to succeed. When you just forward a wish list it's no skin off your nose if you're turned down.

The radio they're requesting is Motorola's firefighter proof, P25, submersible handheld, and it sure looks cool, but I'm not sure it's what we should be asking for through AFG.

I just did our second go around for a afg grant for P25 radios. The State of Michigan has a contract with Motorola so you are supposed to use them and they are not cheap. We went with the XTL/XLS 2500 series and they are not cheap with the template and yearly tower fee. I have seen some departments buck the trend ant use EF Johnson's.

Forum Member

So I can buy approximately 6 radios for the price you guys pay for 1 radio? That just doesn't seem right? I just can't believe the price difference - seems likes price fixing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    We paid only $600 for P25 digital compliant radios - but we haven't been snookered by Motorola into believing that the only way we are complaint is to buy 800mhz equipment. It's hard for me to understand paying $3500 for a radio.

I have to ask, what did you get for $600.00? The only way I have seen a price like that is it is a totally analog radio UNLESS you add the digital component, usually a board and firmware after the fact.

In fact, the cheapest I have gotten P25 radios as a dealer has been VHF for just under 1k, sell for $1250.00 - for digital READY, out of the box, all you have to do is program it.

Forum Member

Kenwood 5320

Kenwood's new VHF and UHF P25 Portable Radios feature a compact, rugged design rich with capability and performance. The new TK-5220/5320 portables join Kenwood's higher tier P25 radio models to offer an expanded group of P25 solutions for all levels of public safety and service agencies. These new mid-tier P25 models operate in FM Analog and P25 Digital modes and combine AMBE + 2 Enhanced Full Rate Vocoder tehcnology along with Kenwood's decades of audio heritage to deliver unmatched audio performance in a two-way radio.

It is a racket, but the State gave the contract to Motorola who does all towers, switcing, radios, etc.. All a dispatch center has to do it purchase the correct equipment and plug into the state 800 Mhz system.

Our department didn't want to swtich to 800, but go narrow band VHF, but our dispatch provider didnt want to continue to use the analog system, yet they still have to do to page everyone out.

So I can buy approximately 6 radios for the price you guys pay for 1 radio? That just doesn't seem right? I just can't believe the price difference - seems likes price fixing to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    I just did our second go around for a afg grant for P25 radios. The State of Michigan has a contract with Motorola so you are supposed to use them and they are not cheap. We went with the XTL/XLS 2500 series and they are not cheap with the template and yearly tower fee. I have seen some departments buck the trend ant use EF Johnson's.
    So are you telling us that you listed Motorola XTL 2500 radios in your application and narrative ?

Kenwood 5320

Kenwood's new VHF and UHF P25 Portable Radios feature a compact, rugged design rich with capability and performance. The new TK-5220/5320 portables join Kenwood's higher tier P25 radio models to offer an expanded group of P25 solutions for all levels of public safety and service agencies. These new mid-tier P25 models operate in FM Analog and P25 Digital modes and combine AMBE + 2 Enhanced Full Rate Vocoder tehcnology along with Kenwood's decades of audio heritage to deliver unmatched audio performance in a two-way radio.

You got a heck of a deal. That radio has a dealer cost of 710 or so. With quantity it would go down, but that is a heck of a deal.

I didn't list the radio models, but we did state that Michigan has a contract with Motorola and the radios requested are the costs per our local vendor.

Thread Information