Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AFG Extension?

MembersZone Subscriber

OK I have confirmed also that "paper applications only" ( all 106 pages of it) can be submitted up to July 16. WARNING: I would be cautious of this because in previous years if you submitted via paper, your whole grant from that point on, had to be managed via snail mail as you had no online application to log into for automated management for filing reports, requesting payments, filing amendments. Not sure if they can effect that problem but, the track record with FEMA ePortal applicationss programming woudl not seem to favor that they could make that available. I may be wrong but ... forewarnedi s forrewarned.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    When is/was peer to begin? Will this change it? How about the beginning of SAFER?
    I wouldn't count on it changing the opening of SAFER on July 16th. Don't expect PR until late August early September as AFG & SAFER will be done at the same time.

Forum Member

what i was referring to is that some people will complain that they did not get the same chance as others. The paper ones got longer. I agree with everyone. If you waited too late, you probably were not planning to meet the needs of your organization anyway. It was stated earlier here that you should plan year round. You should be prepared for anything, including situations that may arise regarding AFG application.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what happens when unforseen emergencies arise. Emergency services have to be prepared for this every day. I've always heard "if there is a will, there is a way"

I know departments that do not have a long-term objective/plan of how to get themselves from A to Z. They seem to just run by the seat of their pants and hope things will get better. I attribute this to the same as leaving New York going to California without a road map (or GPS nowdays). Probably wont get the most effective results, will probably cost you money for the turn arounds and misturns, and will certainly not save you time or make you effective.

What I'm saying does not apply to folks that have an emergency. It does apply to procrastination. We all see that every day. Thats why some departments thrive and make best use of opprotunities and others just grip about the ones around them getting all the stuff.

Whew......guess I been up too long and needed a soap box to get on.

Good luck everyone on their 2012 application! Hope to see each of you driving that new fire truck you are asking "Dear Santa...my fire truck is wore out and I need a new one"

Remember 23 hours left to get your order in! LOL

Forum Member

that was from the site!

This is what i got...

All:

Wanted to make sure you saw this announcement from Congressman McKinley. Please feel free to share this with all of your contacts within the local fire departments. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Richie Parsons
    District Director
    Rep. David B. McKinley, P.E.
    (304) 284-8506
    richie.parsons@mail.house.gov

Rep. McKinley Applauds FEMA for Extending Deadline on Grants for Firefighters
    Applicants will have 10 Additional Days to File Firefighter Grant Applications

Washington, D.C. — Today, Rep. David McKinley announced that fire departments all over West Virginia will have 10 extra days to submit their Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) applications due to the recent severe weather and power outages.

“I applaud FEMA for working with us to make sure West Virginia’s firefighters weren’t put at a disadvantage as a result of the recent storms,” said McKinley. “This extension will enable them to successfully complete their applications within a reasonable time frame.”

“My office heard from several fire departments that were without power and internet, and were concerned that they would not be able to submit their applications by tomorrow’s deadline,” added McKinley. “We raised the issue with FEMA and sent a letter to their leadership, and they responded quickly to extend the deadline. We are very appreciative of FEMA’s responsiveness in accommodating fire departments affected by the severe weather.”

The original deadline was close of business on Friday, July 6, but now applicants will have until Monday, July 16 to submit their applications via mail.

Applicants who are unable to submit their application online before close of business tomorrow, will need to download the application form from the FEMA website and have it postmarked by Monday, July 16.

Applicants may access the AFG applications by visiting http://www.fema.gov/firegrants/afggrants. If applicants need assistance, they should contact the FEMA Help Desk at (866) 274-0960.

Richie Parsons
    District Director
    Rep. David B. McKinley, P.E.
    (202) 480-0190
    richie.parsons@mail.house.gov
    www.mckinley.house.gov
    709 Beechurst Avenue, Suite 14B
    Morgantown, WV 26505
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Semper Paratus - Good luck wiuth the paper aps.
    Last edited by lemontfire1; 07-05-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: late on the trigger

Forum Member

I would like to thank Rep. David McKinley, and all the other whiners from West Virginia for once again throwing a monkey wrench into this Federal program.
    McMechen VFD likes this.

Thread Information