Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AFG Extension?

Forum Member

Default AFG Extension?

Any word on an AFG extension, due to all of the power outages?

Forum Member

From DHS:

"Due to the scheduled opening of the FY 2012 SAFER application period on July 16, it will not be possible to extend the AFG application period beyond the deadline of Friday, July 6, 5 p.m. EDT."

Here's to hoping they hold true to their word...

Forum Member

Many in WV are calling....

McKinley, David @ 202-225-4172
    Capito, Shelley Moore @ 202-225-2711
    Rahall, Nick @ 202-225-3452

Senate
    Senator Rockefeller (304) 347-5372
    Senator Manchin 202-224-3954

All have been calling FEMA but they say they can't, sad because 1 million are without power and more that that are without Internet.

If anyone in Northern WV needs Internet to submit email me my Internet is yours!!!

I was going to put WIFI but thought it looked too much like Wife and i didn't want to send the wrong impression...
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by McMechen VFD View Post
    All have been calling FEMA but they say they can't, sad because 1 million are without power and more that that are without Internet.
    They been without power for the past 23 days? Sorry, the extensions the last few times have been a sore subject for those who are in need of funding who have all preparation and entry work completed early on while giving people a reprieve to come along to toss an app in at the last minute.

I do hope those without power get a chance to submit, but 26 days is a long time if you're only working on 1 or 2 applications.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here! Here! Agree with Sly. Hope all get opportunity to apply, but everyone knew this opportunity was coming, why wait till last minute AGAIN. As the Boy Scouts say, "be prepared."
    BB

Forum Member

"Need doesn't have an application period. " - Me, 5 minutes ago when I thought it up. Same thing that I've been saying for years as have many others. My version is that 95% of what you need to know to write a grant has nothing to do with a grant application. With some minor sways here and there the program and its priorities have not changed since 2001. If you knew your bunker gear turned 10 this year and it's in bad shape, not that hard to know that's AFG's #1 priority. Know your SCBA are from the 90s? Of course it's a priority. Anything NFPA says you shouldn't be doing, and you are? Probably a priority. Situational awareness is key to a lot of things and that mentality goes to grants and organizational issues all the same just like being in the woods tracking. No reason not to have been prepared to enter on Day 1 and fire away.

MembersZone Subscriber

And while we are all at it let me chime in here and remind every student that has ever been in one of my classes has been told, again and agian; your failure to plan,is a plan to fail adn none of us in here can be held repsonsible for your procrastination. The blame here falls to the man inthe mirror!

Power outages, ice storms, fire storms, deaths in the family are all things that you should file under " Murphy's Law". You should know where the next availabe ISP provider and public library is, you should have your work stored on a portable format or better yet stored in the cloud so someone else, not affected, could maybe offer to help you and they can retreive it with your password.

Nope gotta agree with AFG here folks, a deadline is a deadline and I have to say that this has been my absolute worst year for people getting their applications even started at all. I have been deluged with apps to review most arriving just starting last week; are you kidding me folks? A shortended app period with a National Holiday thrown in for good measure! Come on!

As we have all been saying grant strategey for the 2013 app period starts at 5:01PM July 6th.

OK Rant Off, all of you have a great, safe 4th of July. I'll be thinking about you while I am chained to this computer trying to get your apps done and making up for your procrastination but then, what else is new?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

A deadline is a deadline is a deadline. There are no excuses for extending the deadline as there has been ample time to get things done.

Forum Member

Agree, I am ready to hit the submit button on mine after I read through it 10 or 15 more times. I even took a week and a half off from the grant during the application period to host our annual carnival and still had time to get 2 apps done. We pre-plan for fires, and this grant is just as important to pre-plan for the deadline. If I were out of power, I would be heading to an area that had power. Plenty of places supply free wi-fi.

Forum Member

Totally disagree with you all! The most they had was 16 days of power and internet will be down even longer. Many are 2 hours from internet that is up and running. One guy is doing his whole grant on his iPhone an hr from his house. Libraries are great but if they don’t have power or internet they are no good.
    Kurt even said "I am chained to this computer trying to get your apps done and making up for your procrastination but then, what else is new?" I am sorry to disagree but any other time they extend.
    Again we are done with our grant and right now we are reading over others before they submit. I guess all of you who posted have their applications submitted? If anyone needs internet to submit let me know.
    Good luck to eveyone!
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

16 days is a long time. I must have entered 35 applications in the first 16 days.

From the Program Guidance:

If you do not have access to the Internet, contact FEMA at 1-866-274-0960 to request a paper copy of the application via regular mail.

Again, I do wish everyone the best of luck in submitting, but as stated, you should not rely on a potential extension in order to prepare a grant.

Forum Member

I agree with you people should not hope for an extension just so they can do work that should have been done a month or eve 6 months ago but i do not think this to be the case in most. I feel they probably did have it done and probably uploaded it like everyone else on here but had not hit submit.
    I was told by a chief that they called FEMA and told them they were 90% was reviewing before checking assurances and BOOM No power.

I feel for where you are coming from and this is just an opinion (not a fight) but my bet is 80% of you have a grant at 90% you have not hit submit on. I just feel for the VFD's that are truly in need that can not apply.
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

In the age of smartphones, does anyone realize that you can pull up the application on those? Do it all the time when I'm out and about.

Either way, there's no reason not to be ready on Day 1, and the power may be out in some spots but if it means that much I'm pretty sure a short drive will get you to a spot with power and an internet connection. Starbucks are everywhere. People that are really in need have their apps in and submitted since they keep their eyes and ears open at all times for opportunities. They may have opened early but for those that want an extension get your stuff together for the Spring 2013 app period since that's where it's moving to. If they didn't get this one on time there was no 2013 program, it would have been held until March 2014. Yes, that almost happened. Hence the SAFER app period, and also the quick announcement of the June 11th opening and 2 days later Congress passes the 2013 funding. Hmmm.

MembersZone Subscriber

What do you do at a fire/emergency when overcome by an obstacle....FIND A WAY. If you have a problem, find a solution. Good luck problem solving. FF's are the best problem solvers in the world. But you do have to look for a solution.
    BB

MembersZone Subscriber

"Adapt, Adjust, Ovecome" ... Gunnie Highway- Heartbreak Ridge
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Just got word they are extending for paper only!
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

If you can get the paper app you can submit online, take half the time to get it done. It's just for receiving them anyway, still have to send before the deadline...

Forum Member

No they extended the stamp on date i am being told to the 16th or 19th
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Wouldn't believe that until they email it out to everyone.

Forum Member

Ok just in from Rep. Shelley Moore Capito they will extend the Deadline Paper only.All paper apps must be postmarked no later than July 16th. Again this is for paper only. I am told i will be receiving and email in the next hour or so and i will post it. I am told the FEMA site will update by tomorrow and there will be a link for anyone who needs it. I was also told if you are reading this (via Cell Phone) and do not have power or internet. contact me i will direct you to what Us Reps will print these apps so you do not miss an opportunity.
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

FY 2012 Application Assistance Tools
    BREAKING NEWS
    The Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) is extending the deadline for paper applications only until Monday, July 16, 2012. A downloadable copy of the application is available here.
    • All paper applications must be postmarked no later than, July 16, 2012.
    • Only one (1) application per category may be submitted (i.e. vehicle, operations & safety, regional). If your department has already submitted an electronic application within the same category, do not submit a paper application. Submitting two (2) applications in the same category may result in both applications being disqualified.
    • You may also request the application be emailed to you by calling the AFG help desk at 866-274-0960.
    • The AFG help desk will remain open M-F from 8 am – 5 pm EDT.
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

and now the mess for 2012 begins....

MembersZone Subscriber

John what is the email header?
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't see that extending the paper applications to July 16th being much of an issue. The AFG most likely recieves minimal paper applications per year. Unlike preparing a computer based application, preparing a paper application leaves it wide open to make mistakes as there are no checks and balances. Even though the AFG will have to maunually review these applications it will only take one mistake or ommission to end it. So those that are experiencing power outages have the opportunity to apply, but those that have just out and out procrastinated cannot fly under the radar to submit electronically as has happened in the past.
    Last edited by onebugle; 07-05-2012 at 06:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

When is/was peer to begin? Will this change it? How about the beginning of SAFER?
    BB

Thread Information