Thread: Study Guides

Forum Member

Default Study Guides

Hey Everyone,

Did a quick search and couldn't really find any threads on study guides for written exams. So my question to you guy's is, what books are the best to prepare me for the written exam. Are these test just general civil service test or are they custom designed civil service firefighters test? I have heard of Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam, and the reviews seem mixed. Any others out there work picking up ?

Also, has anyone ever used websites like fireprep.com that claim to have custom designed exam prep for the fire department your testing with ?

For any previous testers, I'm applying for charlotte, NC as soon as they open up. Can any one chime in on how the test is for a first timer.

Thanks for any help,

Austin
    Last edited by acperkins92; 07-03-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Forum Member

can anyone help me out ?

Thanks,

Austin

Forum Member

Highly recommend Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam by Chief Paul Lepore. This is an awesome book and helped me score well into the top category with San Diego City Fire this year (which was my first fire exam!). Very easy to read, great variety of content, and has practice questions which reflect common test questions. I promise I am not getting paid for this opinion, honestly this book is awesome.

ljm
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdcrimsonjd View Post
    Highly recommend Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam by Chief Paul Lepore. This is an awesome book and helped me score well into the top category with San Diego City Fire this year (which was my first fire exam!). Very easy to read, great variety of content, and has practice questions which reflect common test questions. I promise I am not getting paid for this opinion, honestly this book is awesome.
    I second the 'Smoke your FF Written' prep book. Everything stated above is spot on. Once you get it, study it nightly...even if there is nothing on the horizon for testing, it's good to keep sharp and out in front of any upcoming tests that you might not be aware of. 30 minutes a night is all I did over the summer and it has kept my scores in the low/mid 90s on all my written exams.

Forum Member

Thanks for your honest opinions guys, greatly appreciated !!

I know some study guides tend to favor more of the west coast fire departments, vs the east coast departments. Do you guys feel this book would suit east coast departments as well ?

Thanks,

Austin
    Last edited by acperkins92; 07-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Thread Information