Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2012 AFG Watering Hole

Forum Member

It keeps this up they are going to have to restock before they planned I think.

Forum Member

Angry Please back away from the cliff!

I feel a cliff coming up on us... This is going to be a looooong wait! Not to mention FEMA is on a full time rush from the hurricane.
    Last edited by Culpster; 11-15-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Member

Heard through the grapevine that Sandy is partly to blame because a lot of folks have moved over to call center duty, so not as many working AFG to keep the ball rolling forward. Supposedly will see movement before the holiday, but in the meantime, think I'll switch over to Crown & Ginger Ale for a bit and mellow out in between all these other apps and research jobs on my desk...

Forum Member

Received this letter this AM

AFG Support for Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts
    As you are aware, FEMA is working closely with its state and local partners in supporting disaster response and recovery operations throughout the areas impacted by Hurricane Sandy. More than 5,000 FEMA employees have been deployed, including many members of the Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) staff, both regional staff members and headquarters (HQ) staff members in Washington, DC.

However, the AFG Program continues to maintain operations. If you have current awards, your grant functions (payments, amendments, etc.) will be processed as quickly as possible. In addition, we anticipate resuming FY 2012 AFG and Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grant award announcements within the next 2 weeks.

If you are unable to reach specific AFG regional or HQ staff members during this period, please contact the AFG Help Desk for assistance. The Help Desk can be reached toll free at 1-866-274-0960 or by e-mail at firegrants@fema.dhs.gov.

To follow FEMA’s Hurricane Sandy Relief efforts, please visit the FEMA website at FEMA.gov | Federal Emergency Management Agency
    ColoradoDave likes this.

Forum Member

Bingo! Thanks DT.

Forum Member

Default Another round please - after Thanksgiving drink

Still no news for my grant so another round please, make it a double.

Forum Member

Grain Belt Nordeast please

MembersZone Subscriber

Still trying to weed out the CCR/SAM conversion here. Hopefully we got it straightened out yesterday.

Forum Member

They published an update for SAM yesterday. In case no one else saw it:

Step 1: Locate desk.
    Step 2: Apply forehead to desk at a high velocity.
    Step 3: Repeat as necessary to alleviate frustration or achieve unconsiousness.

Funny since the same steps came out in the Obamacare handbook as the treatment for nearly every malady....

Forum Member

Had ours migrated and in Dec got word that need to make the update prior to 6 Jan. Done that in Dec and got a e-mail Sunday saying it expired on the 6th of Jan. Went to check it out and password had to be reset. Tried to reset password and it would not take. Monday called customer service and waited 22min for someone. They sent me a reset password and it would say invalid or or expired. Tried about a dozen times and finally she told me they would have to send it higher. Not heard from them since and number stays busy. Anyone else got any word of advice?

Forum Member

Sounds like the same headaches I had. I got something to go though yesterday, I hope it's good enough....
    Will they hold off the annoucement until this gets straighten out?

Forum Member

My SAM registration was rejected because our FD already has a CAGE code under a different DUNS number (one I didn't know existed). Yay.

Forum Member

Today a get a notice that it didn't like my number I put in the Duns+4 box, but I couldn't move on without putting something in the box I called the helps desk and a after 57 minutes of being on hold, all they could tell me that they need to send my request for assitance to Tier2

I hate to see what happens if I go to triple mad!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chief1120 View Post
    Today a get a notice that it didn't like my number I put in the Duns+4 box, but I couldn't move on without putting something in the box I called the helps desk and a after 57 minutes of being on hold, all they could tell me that they need to send my request for assitance to Tier2

I hate to see what happens if I go to triple mad!
    Patience Grasshopper!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Patience Grasshopper!
    Kurt, I have listened to your advice again and I'm drinking up my last drink for this year. It official now, were getting new rescue tools The next round is on me!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chief1120 View Post
    Kurt, I have listened to your advice again and I'm drinking up my last drink for this year. It official now, were getting new rescue tools The next round is on me!
    Glad to hear it Chief.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to joke, back when I was good at this grant writing, that if we didn't get awarded first or second round, I'd just politely refuse it. Seven rounds in and no word on our regional communications grant and I'm feeling like a washed up, punch drunk fighter, desperate for a win. Going over it in my head--where did I go wrong? Greedy not needy? Laundry list? Not enough calls? Asking for the Cadillac of equipment? Or God forbid, poor writing by a once proud grant warrior? Should have retired gracefully while I was on top....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nicoyaspa View Post
    I used to joke, back when I was good at this grant writing, that if we didn't get awarded first or second round, I'd just politely refuse it. Seven rounds in and no word on our regional communications grant and I'm feeling like a washed up, punch drunk fighter, desperate for a win. Going over it in my head--where did I go wrong? Greedy not needy? Laundry list? Not enough calls? Asking for the Cadillac of equipment? Or God forbid, poor writing by a once proud grant warrior? Should have retired gracefully while I was on top....
    Hey, Hey , Hey get out of my head! You can't steal my thoughts like that! LOL
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

I felt the same way Nico, 6 AFG Grants then boom...none for 3 years. Had a refresher with Kurt at our station....and boom, a Safers 1199a.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Attack6 View Post
    I felt the same way Nico, 6 AFG Grants then boom...none for 3 years. Had a refresher with Kurt at our station....and boom, a Safers 1199a.
    Well, I guess its that infectious enthusiasm and never say die attitude!LOL!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Regional commo apps are even slower this year than last, other than an all-portable one I heard wind of there hasn't been any movement involving major radio apps. Since they have to go to the states for approval on top of being recommended for award there's an additional delay in 1199A progress. Last year's that we worked didn't show until January with February awards so should see some progress on these soon.

Forum Member

Time for another round.

Forum Member

Should be any week now for our SCBAs. Got my 1199 back in November; got that finished right away and FINALLY got my SAM fiasco straightened out yesterday. Fingers crossed!

Forum Member

Default Same thought nicoyaspa

Started at 5 for 5 after I took over the grant writing, then 3 goose eggs before landing a communication grant last year.

The three goose eggs were for various forms of water supply grants that I just haven't been able to get funded. Serious thinking about next year doing a regional grant for the same to get all the departments in our county using the same appliances in water shuttles.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mitchkrat - if it is in the same county, I would include something along this line.... "in the past we even had a major HAZMAT issue at one of our local nuclear missile silos" No need to mention it was in 78.......

Thread Information