Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2012 AFG Watering Hole

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Mitchkrat - if it is in the same county, I would include something along this line.... "in the past we even had a major HAZMAT issue at one of our local nuclear missile silos" No need to mention it was in 78.......
    I like that thought process
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Yeah but you can't put enough hose on 6 pumpers to be able to lay a line to that one with me on the pumper. Glowing in the dark isn't on my bucket list...well maybe not permanently, could be fun on Halloween for a bit to scare some kids or wander around in some woods. "Look everyone, a glow in the dark Sasquatch...."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Yeah but you can't put enough hose on 6 pumpers to be able to lay a line to that one with me on the pumper. Glowing in the dark isn't on my bucket list...well maybe not permanently, could be fun on Halloween for a bit to scare some kids or wander around in some woods. "Look everyone, a glow in the dark Sasquatch...."

Interesting timing Bryan- just had a call with a company that is going to be offering PPE suits for EMS/FFs that shields/protects against gamma radiation for those very circumstances.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Hope they don't test those the same way as shark bite suits....

"Billy Bob, we need you to step into this chamber and get exposed to gamma radiation."
    "well alright, just hold my sign so nothing happens to it"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Hope they don't test those the same way as shark bite suits....

"Billy Bob, we need you to step into this chamber and get exposed to gamma radiation."
    "well alright, just hold my sign so nothing happens to it"
    My exact thoughts as well.LOL
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Cool That was are little mess

http://www.techbastard.com/missile/t...533-7_1978.php

I didn't live in the area at that time but it's in our first due district (someone has a good memory).

Our claim to fame is the 1955 torndao:
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ict/udall/udall.php

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    http://www.techbastard.com/missile/t...533-7_1978.php

I didn't live in the area at that time but it's in our first due district (someone has a good memory).

Our claim to fame is the 1955 torndao:
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ict/udall/udall.php
    Someone may have been there soon after the fact......

I would love to by that old place.

BTW, can you drop me an email to bbowers301@gmail.com - I want to quiz you a bit on Kansas credentializing.
    They are offering the same software to us in MO

Forum Member

Default How I almost ended up divorced....

Name:  WP_000217a.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  45.8 KB

Went to a silent and live auction last night as a fundraiser for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. This is a guitar signed by Toby Keith with his autograph and "I love this bar". Included with this guitar was a signed Red Solo Cup, both items authenticated.

Went for $1100. I would have bid $1200, but I couldn't have afforded the lawyers after she got done with me for doing it.....so I'll just proceed to party in other ways....
    McMechen VFD likes this.

Forum Member

Pour me a Turkey & Dew... still no movement for a would be first time recipient afg grant. We have applied every year since AFG came about...maybe this year could be it!! If we dont get new PPE soon we may as well go in our carharts....

MembersZone Subscriber

A little frustrated with this whole process, this is not my first rodeo with fema. I put in for a regional comms proposal. sitting here with no communications other than truck radios because the company that handles our radios has threatened to turn us into the FCC becaue our portables wont narrowband, there sitting in a box in my office. At this point i would be happy with anything even a turndown so i can order radios, dont want to spent 7 to 10 thousand dollars on new radios and then a month later get the grant and have to shell out another 5000 for the match,im on a severely limited budget, then the new ones will be obsolete and we would only have them a month. Barteneder Irish carbombs and keep them comming till I fall off the barstool.
    Last edited by dist8229; 01-25-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Forum Member

Default Coincidence? I think not....

Finishing off the NJ corporate taxes I never knew we'd owe since we don't hvae a presence in NJ, as I've ranted about before...but anyway getting ready to mail and like comedian Carl Hurley, I find humor every day.

Like in the fact that the Division of Taxation address is PO Box 666. I find that funny, after all we joke about the IRS and friends being the Devil, here we're mailing our payment there...
    olneyfd likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know what the weekly announcement schedule is? Looks like Friday's for announcements, but are 1199s coming out the prior Tuesday or is it more random?

Dist 8229, I feel your pain. Our regional com grant has gotten crickets so far, and all the players are asking when we're gonna know. Have never waited this long for word, either way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nicoyaspa View Post
    Anyone know what the weekly announcement schedule is? Looks like Friday's for announcements, but are 1199s coming out the prior Tuesday or is it more random?

Dist 8229, I feel your pain. Our regional com grant has gotten crickets so far, and all the players are asking when we're gonna know. Have never waited this long for word, either way.
    The 1199A's are coming out at random times and days; no set schedule for them.

Forum Member

Another slow award day. 99% of vehicles and 78% of ops still remaining. Looks like we'll need to order a few more drinks.

Forum Member

At this rate, seems like FEMA is like your friend who slowly sits there and sips his drink as everyone else is ready to move on down the road.

Forum Member

If they are sticking by the getting back on schedule statement, that means we have roughly a month to figure out what to apply for. It would be a lot easier if we knew if we got anything from this go round to make that decision.

I'll have a root beer float because that sounds really good right now.

Forum Member

It won't be back on the previous schedule this time around, that whistling sound isn't a teapot, it's another proposed deadline flying past us....

2013 app periods will be in the summer again. Even heard a rumor that SAFER might actually be before AFG, but was just water cooler talk based on allocations and other red tape....

Forum Member

Summer AFG. That brings back memories of the 4th of July sitting on the boat emailing CN Railroad for info on frequency of hazmat shipments. Ah good time.

Ill take a Corona with lime

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dist8229 View Post
    A little frustrated with this whole process, this is not my first rodeo with fema. I put in for a regional comms proposal. sitting here with no communications other than truck radios because the company that handles our radios has threatened to turn us into the FCC becaue our portables wont narrowband, there sitting in a box in my office. At this point i would be happy with anything even a turndown so i can order radios, dont want to spent 7 to 10 thousand dollars on new radios and then a month later get the grant and have to shell out another 5000 for the match,im on a severely limited budget, then the new ones will be obsolete and we would only have them a month. Barteneder Irish carbombs and keep them comming till I fall off the barstool.
    No offense, but there was way over 10 years since everyone started talking about narrowbanding, over 15 years since it was passed.

Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE should have been working on this for quite a while.

But, I know first hand that not everyone has been able to get the "powers that be" to get it moving. How many portables do you NEED? What kind? VHF? UHF? Analog? Digital?

The money saved by waiting unfortunately has turned in to more expense, as you have to buy P25 radios now, but they are even available for less than 1300 now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cali skunked again

Sure it was 75 degrees on the beach here today, but California got skunked by AFG statewide for the second week in a row.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like another week of taking up space at the bar. At least the list was longer this week.

Forum Member

Long Island tea please whilst we continue to wait for turnout gear

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    Long Island tea please whilst we continue to wait for turnout gear
    Northern Minnesota eh? Just flew into this icebox up here in New Ulm to teach my grant class. Nothing like a 60 degree shift in temperature in one day! At least there is a beer festival going on here. LOL
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Northern Minnesota eh? Just flew into this icebox up here in New Ulm to teach my grant class. Nothing like a 60 degree shift in temperature in one day! At least there is a beer festival going on here. LOL

We are along the canadian border. its a heatwave today 25 degrees above the donut

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    We are along the canadian border. its a heatwave today 25 degrees above the donut
    Only 28 here!
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information