Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2012 AFG Watering Hole

Forum Member

Well just heard on news federal government closed today due to storm. So another round is needed as this is further delaying awards. What a slow snails year. Hope all are safe during this latest storm.

MembersZone Subscriber

New list is up and there is 1 vehicle award this week. East TN was dominate for TN this time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    New list is up and there is 1 vehicle award this week. East TN was dominate for TN this time.
    2 vehicles this week....IL was the other lucky state.

Forum Member

Default Are you writing the grants for Hendersonville??

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Are you writing the grants for Hendersonville, TN? I need to hire their grant writer. I know of a few departments to pull of repeat vehicle awards, but never in consecutive years.

It looks like these guys have done it 3 years in a row:

2010 - $750,000 for an AP
    2011 - $350,000 for an engine
    2012 - $350,000 ????

Jealous!

Forum Member

Wasn't me, but wonder if they reported the new trucks in their vehicle fleet each year. Even if not delivered the instant an award is official for the next grant round those vehicles must be reported, so 2011 would have had a 1 year old aerial, and 2012 would show a 2 year old aerial and a 1 year old pumper. 6 stations, doesn't look like a new fleet overall and there's no newer aerial listed on their site, just a 1994 4dr commercial chassis stick. Maybe it got turned back in?

They probably don't want to be advertising that they're leaving the 1988 in service that they "replaced" with the 2011 award since that's not allowed....it's on their link for the delivery of the new pumper.

Forum Member

Don't want to undercut them without having the whole story, but their 2011 award looks as if it replaced a 1988 engine, which would be marginal for successful computer scoring in many cases. Biggest problem is that they are now using the 1988 for a reserve piece.

http://www.hendersonville-fd.org/Eng...20Delivery.htm

Forum Member

Quick-draw Vickers beating me to the punch

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    Are you writing the grants for Hendersonville, TN? I need to hire their grant writer. I know of a few departments to pull of repeat vehicle awards, but never in consecutive years.

It looks like these guys have done it 3 years in a row:

2010 - $750,000 for an AP
    2011 - $350,000 for an engine
    2012 - $350,000 ????

Jealous!
    Nope not me. They have the knack it seems

Forum Member

That is why i feel the program needs a serious revamping. I know of two companies within 25 miles of ours that have received vehicles in 2 consecutive years, different categories though. These guys are replacing vehicles that are newer than anything we own. Our newest piece is a 1988. It is a case of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. If you receive a vehicle grant you should not be able to apply again for a vehicle for 5 years or so. If would make it fairer to everyone else. Just my two cents.........

Forum Member

Default Have to go through their pirctures

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Wasn't me, but wonder if they reported the new trucks in their vehicle fleet each year. Even if not delivered the instant an award is official for the next grant round those vehicles must be reported, so 2011 would have had a 1 year old aerial, and 2012 would show a 2 year old aerial and a 1 year old pumper. 6 stations, doesn't look like a new fleet overall and there's no newer aerial listed on their site, just a 1994 4dr commercial chassis stick. Maybe it got turned back in?

They probably don't want to be advertising that they're leaving the 1988 in service that they "replaced" with the 2011 award since that's not allowed....it's on their link for the delivery of the new pumper.
    If you click on the link to go through their pictures, they have pics of the AP being built and after they recieved it.

I have a neighbor that got 2 (an engine and a "tactical" tanker (6x6, 1500 gallons) but they were both needed and happened several years appart.

I was surprised to see they kept their old engine (canopy cab) as a reserve.

Forum Member

Forum Member

If companies are being allowed to keep the vehicles that are supposed to be being replaced with the AFG apparatus, then why not allow companies that do get a AFG grant for a vehicle to donate their old apparatus to other departments? I know that there are lots of companies that would love to have someone else's "unsafe, obsolete" apparatus because it is better that what they have. Might actually save more ff lives/reduce injuries that way.

P.S. I know the apparatus are supposed to be "disposed of", even though i have a hard time believing this happens all the time.

MembersZone Subscriber

To take credit for an "unsafe" vehicle the department must remove it from service.

Per the PG: "Applicants must certify that unsafe vehicles will be permanently removed from service if awarded a grant. Acceptable uses of unsafe vehicles include farm, nursery, scrap metal, salvage, construction, etc."

If they haven't, eventually they will be caught whether someone drops a dime on them or the FPS finds this during a site visit. If they are in fact violating their grant they have alot to loose not only having the vehicle taken, but criminal charges filed as well.

Pleading ignorance won't cut it.......you are responsible to understand the PG and the requirements of your grant award.
    islandfire03 and EMT6126 like this.

Forum Member

In fact I'm sure by now someone from DHS is already putting the wheels in motion, after all they patrol these forums too. Same as ISO ever since someone posted that they had an audit in progress and were running equipment from one station to the other during the lunch break. Ooopppsss, maybe that wasn't a good idea with their name and department listed.

Well looks like I'll be having fun while y'all are hanging out in the 2013 Watering Hole. Re-enlisted and took the oath on Friday for the Guard again, had to take an enlisted slot and go to school before I can head back to OCS. Only one available other than truck driver (88M) was a 13M HIMARS Crew Member working one of these bad boys:

Name:  300px-HIMARS_-_missile_launched.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  9.6 KB

HOOOAAAAHHH!!
    WJVaughn likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

And since everyone else has chimed in I will add that it was not my client either! BTW, and not saying this is the case here being discussed, but that part of the program is called "vehicle acquisition". Now "replacement"t of an unsafe vehicle is of course a priority but, you can make an argument sometimes for removing a vehicle from front line service and put it into reserve status and win a piece of apparatus. The safety issue is not the sole issue for replacement they will consider albeit it is the most prevalent.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

One of my local departments got an early Easter egg this morning. first one in the County this year so far. Good job Brian

Forum Member

I seen that, what did they get?
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EMT6126 View Post
    I seen that, what did they get?
    New heavy hydraulics is the big part of it

MembersZone Subscriber

Guess it is time to settle the tab and give up the chair. We got announced Friday for 8 new Bi-phasic monitors for 3rd service EMS. Time to sit back and think about next year.

Forum Member

Still waiting, but at least I have the SAFER keeping me busy.

Forum Member

Default funded

well, it was a long wait but got funded on Friday for scba's with no reductions. I kept the seat warm for the next guy. Also for the non believers, I am one from a very very small department and have been awarded 3 ops grants in 5 years. No grant experience at all with no classes just some advise here on the forum. Just be smart and true and follow the guidelines and you can be successful in the AFG

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice long list today. I guess folks have finally gotten the SAM stuff figured and they are moving some money out.

Forum Member

Bartender - tab please! No calls, no email but I see my name on the lucky list! Hit up all my venders lat week for updated prices on their rfp's - time to accept the orders!

MembersZone Subscriber

YAHOOOOO! Just got the Congressional call. Regional com grant for three departments in Santa Barbara County. Was getting really nervous there. Thank you AFG and thanks to all of you on this forum for your help.

Forum Member

Congrats to all of you. Jeff
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Thread Information