Forum Member

Default Advancing while Flowing Water

I've seen a number of videos on proper technique for advancing hose while flowing, as well as seen this referenced in the forums here, but I have never seen a good explanation of when or why to do this. In one video, it mentioned that this was a good way to keep crews from crawling over discarded needles but that really isn't a problem where I am in rural Ohio.

I was trained to move to the fire, open up, and then shut down and move again if need be. This has served me well enough so far on the handful of real fires I've been on. I am missing something here?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FHGhee View Post
    I've seen a number of videos on proper technique for advancing hose while flowing, as well as seen this referenced in the forums here, but I have never seen a good explanation of when or why to do this. In one video, it mentioned that this was a good way to keep crews from crawling over discarded needles but that really isn't a problem where I am in rural Ohio.

I was trained to move to the fire, open up, and then shut down and move again if need be. This has served me well enough so far on the handful of real fires I've been on. I am missing something here?
    It really depends on what the fire is doing. If you can hit it knock it down enough to allow you to shut off the nozzle and move up, that is a viable tactic. If the fire demands water flowing all the time you may be able to gate the nozzle part way to allow easier movement forward. Remember that is a reduced flow that is being used to attack the fire. Sometimes you will find that you have to fight your way to the base of the fire. This means flowing water all the way there. If those are the conditions it is highy unlikely that you will be able to either gate back the flow, or shut the line down, to advance towards the base of the fire.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Had a few like that, Had to stay full bore all the way in. Needless to say it's a butt whooper on those days
    Bring enough hose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FHGhee View Post
    I've seen a number of videos on proper technique for advancing hose while flowing, as well as seen this referenced in the forums here, but I have never seen a good explanation of when or why to do this....

A "common" scenario would be a room or more well off with fire pushing into the hallway. As you make your advance you want to keep the hall from becoming further involved and contain the fire to the room but you can't bend the water into the room, thus you keep flowing while moving until you can make the turn into the seat.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 11-20-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words

Forum Member

I honestly Think everyone over complicates fighting fire (when it comes to the nozzleman, not the whole operation.) Get in there and put the wet stuff on the red stuff.. If you need to flow water while advancing, do it. Just get it there and get some. Yes, there are situtation where you might need to consider different variables but 90% of the time your going to advance your hose to (fill in the blank) and let er' rip. I've tried all the different "Techinques" of putting water on fire and they are all ridiculous... Just put the water on the fire. from the ceiling to the base of the fire... done
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Thread Information