Forum Member

Default Hiring around fdny

I live in NYC and want to join the fdny but dont only want to test in the city. Are there any other depts. around NYC the don't require Residency?

Forum Member

so you want to work somewhere, but don't want to test for that city?

Forum Member

I believe many of the North Jersey departments don't require residency...but they're not FDNY, if that's what you're asking?

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you need to clarify exactly what you're asking here. Perhaps what your definition of "FDNY" is?
    The way it's coming across is this:
    I want to work for FDNY, but I don't want to test for FDNY.
    (Yeah, doesn't make sense.)

Are you asking about fire departments in general?
    If so, there are many outside of the city, although a majority of them are either all volunteer (non-paid) or combination paid/volunteer.
    Part of what you're looking for may depend on where you are in the city (Manhattan/Bronx: Look upstate or Jersey. Queens: LI. SI: Jersey.)
    It really just depends on what you're really asking here.

Good luck!

Forum Member

If you re-read the thread starters question, it makes perfect sense.

He wants to work for FDNY and lives in the city, but also wants to apply elsewhere to increase his chances of getting hired on any department. Sounds like FDNY is his first choice, but as tough it is, best to not ignore other options.

"I live in NYC and want to join the fdny but dont ONLY want to test in the city. Are there any other depts. around NYC the don't require Residency?"

See the "Only" part?

Forum Member

Wd6956 is right fdny is my first choice. I I want to stay in the city to increase my chance on getting on the fdny but I want to apply to other depts incase the fdny doesnt work out. Most depts in ny look like they require residency and the ones in jersey require a jersey drivers license. Does anybody know of any NY departments around the city that dont require residency?

Forum Member

Wd6956 is right fdny is my first choice. I I want to stay in the city to increase my chance on getting on the fdny but I want to apply to other depts incase the fdny doesnt work out. Most depts in ny look like they require residency and the ones in jersey require a jersey drivers license. Does anybody know of any NY departments around the city that dont require residency?

Forum Member

There are plenty if places around NYC, most require residency, even many Jersey cities. One major thing to think about is job security, many of the Jersey Fds have taken major staffing cuts by the way of layoffs, as have the ones in the NY Metro area...Newburgh, Mt Vernon, White Plains, Yonkers, Garden City, have al been hit by the budget hammer. To get a job as a fireman is tough, I just had 4 friends hired by Newark, but if layoffs continue, they are the first to go. Getting on with the FDNY is your best bet, but unless you took the test this year, then youll have to wait a minumum of 3 years to take the next, then another 2-3 to get hired....and that is on the whim of a rouge federal judge....who even knows if there will be anyone hired from this last test.....and as far as im concerned....they can take their time.....Im available....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Last edited by len1582; 07-14-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rescue_1 View Post
    I believe many of the North Jersey departments don't require residency...but they're not FDNY, if that's what you're asking?
    They do require residency. And not just your name slapped on a sticker on a friends mailbox.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    ...and that is on the whim of a rouge federal judge.
    They appointed a Native American judge to oversee the hiring process? I guess a blanc one would have been like throwing oil on the fire.

Thread Information