MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2012 Safer / R & R

I've never applied for a SAFER grant previously. I'm looking for help with a solid plan for R & R for an all volunteer department classified as rural. Problems like many other FDs, looking for ways to keep and reward the people we have and recruit new people. Daytime is a big issue for drivers and firefighters to meet 1720 numbers. Would love to hear from anyone who would share successful ideas and/or narratives. I can use to help create a program for us. Any help appreciated. Fourbank@aol.com
    Last edited by BB3939; 07-10-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add email addy
    BB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    I've never applied for a SAFER grant previously. I'm looking for help with a solid plan for R & R for an all volunteer department classified as rural. Problems like many other FDs, looking for ways to keep and reward the people we have and recruit new people. Daytime is a big issue for drivers and firefighters to meet 1720 numbers. Would love to hear from anyone who would share successful ideas and/or narratives. I can use to help create a program for us. Any help appreciated. Fourbank@aol.com
    Part of a successful SAFER grant application is to outline the problem first, and HOW YOU FIGURED out that was the problem. There is not a one size fits all "plan".

We sat at our two convenience stores and polled people about the department and volunteering to come up with our plan. It was amazing to me how many people thought we were a full time paid department!

Forum Member

Default Dear John's

Does anyone know if they are going to do a mass dump of DJ's Friday the 13th so that we will know if we need to Apply / Re-apply for SAFER grants this year. Hate to waste grant writers time in doing it if we were getting funded this year?

Thanks
    Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2012 safer

I have scoured the PG for the answer to this, but have had no luck. We were awarded a 2011 regional recruitment grant, can we follow that up with a request for PPE to equip the new FFs we get through the doors in the 2012 app period? Or are we locked out for the 4 year performance period?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by asemedic View Post
    I have scoured the PG for the answer to this, but have had no luck. We were awarded a 2011 regional recruitment grant, can we follow that up with a request for PPE to equip the new FFs we get through the doors in the 2012 app period? Or are we locked out for the 4 year performance period?
    Don't know if this helps or not but here is what PG says:

B. Other Allowable Costs
    In order to help alleviate the financial burden of start-up costs, FEMA will allow Recruitment & Retention Grantees to charge the SAFER Grant for the costs for physicals and personal protective equipment for newly recruited members.

Funds are available to acquire primarily OSHA-required and NFPA-compliant PPE for firefighting personnel. Only actual costs are allowed and will be paid on a reimbursable basis. However, the allowable costs may be limited, as determined reasonable by FEMA.

Grantees are required to provide documentation to support the purchase of the turnout gear. Equipment requested must meet all current mandatory requirements, as well as any national and/or state standards. Equipment requested should have the goal of increasing firefighter safety.
    The following charts contain information on the eligibility of PPE. Copies of NFPA standards may be reviewed at (http://www.NFPA.org).
    Eligible PPE
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by asemedic View Post
    are you asking whether you can apply again in 2012 for your individual department?

out of curiosity, were you the host of the regional?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by davepa View Post
    are you asking whether you can apply again in 2012 for your individual department?

out of curiosity, were you the host of the regional?
    Yes we are the host, and more along the lines of can we make a request this year in support of the FFs added from the last application. It covered physicals and training of the added personnel.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Don't know if this helps or not but here is what PG says:

B. Other Allowable Costs
    In order to help alleviate the financial burden of start-up costs, FEMA will allow Recruitment & Retention Grantees to charge the SAFER Grant for the costs for physicals and personal protective equipment for newly recruited members.

Funds are available to acquire primarily OSHA-required and NFPA-compliant PPE for firefighting personnel. Only actual costs are allowed and will be paid on a reimbursable basis. However, the allowable costs may be limited, as determined reasonable by FEMA.

Grantees are required to provide documentation to support the purchase of the turnout gear. Equipment requested must meet all current mandatory requirements, as well as any national and/or state standards. Equipment requested should have the goal of increasing firefighter safety.
    The following charts contain information on the eligibility of PPE. Copies of NFPA standards may be reviewed at (http://www.NFPA.org).
    Eligible PPE
    Thanks Kurt, I had located that part, but am still unsure on whether we can submit again to cover the PPE costs.

Scott

Forum Member

I'd like to pose a question related to this thread. I am applying for a Regional (County wide, 26 towns, 24 depts.) Grant for our County FF's Association. We have had a successful basic fire school (50 hours of training). We would like to bridge this trainning to FFII. In this case would new PPE for trainees be an allowable request? Thanks for your input?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KLN201 View Post
    I'd like to pose a question related to this thread. I am applying for a Regional (County wide, 26 towns, 24 depts.) Grant for our County FF's Association. We have had a successful basic fire school (50 hours of training). We would like to bridge this trainning to FFII. In this case would new PPE for trainees be an allowable request? Thanks for your input?
    If you did a regional recruitment effort to get new FFs in the doors with this new training as the minimum standard, I would say yes, for those new members only. But not for existing members for PPE, but could for the training expenses related to bringing them up to a new higher standard as a requirement. But PPE for those existing, I would think no. It would fly in the an AFG regioal though, just not SAFER. My opinion only. (Disclaimer, the opinions in this response in no way reflect any blah blah blah, you know the drill).

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there not a limit of 4 sets of PPE anyways?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Is there not a limit of 4 sets of PPE anyways?
    I noticed that also in the guideline. I called the help desk and all he could tell me was it doesn't state a limit. So I guess you could put in for the number of new recruits for year for 4 years then? Right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CHChief View Post
    I noticed that also in the guideline. I called the help desk and all he could tell me was it doesn't state a limit. So I guess you could put in for the number of new recruits for year for 4 years then? Right?
    not sure where either of you are seeing a limit of 4 sets of PPE...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by davepa View Post
    not sure where either of you are seeing a limit of 4 sets of PPE...
    I know in previous years it did state 4 maximum, but I do not recall seeing it in this years' PG, and what Kurt posted above is the only thing I have found on it.

Forum Member

It used to be limited to 4 sets of PPE, not anymore. But it's only for newly recruited people brought in with this R&R that you're applying for, not retroactively. AFG is for the ones that are already members so a 2012 R&R won't buy gear for anyone from a 2011 award's positive results. Hence the reason it states "newly recruited".

Most don't go through because of asking for the PPE also, since the view from Review is if you're getting 4 years of free money, you ought to be able to pony up a couple grand for PPE. After all if someone just walked in without the R&R being funded, what then?

Physicals, usually not an issue oddly enough. Either way both are a reimbursement basis and the requests have to be approved before funds are distributed. So even if you get funded for having PPE in the award, if you can't justify the costs of the PPE at the time you request the funding, might not get it. Also physicals have to be done and person has to pass to be reimbursed for the costs.

Forum Member

Our Rural department is applying for 12 SAFER for recruitment retention--- does anyone have any narrative samples/ideas/plans--- we are looking at explorer post as well----email me at: capeterson@fs.fed.us

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    It used to be limited to 4 sets of PPE, not anymore. But it's only for newly recruited people brought in with this R&R that you're applying for, not retroactively. AFG is for the ones that are already members so a 2012 R&R won't buy gear for anyone from a 2011 award's positive results. Hence the reason it states "newly recruited".

Most don't go through because of asking for the PPE also, since the view from Review is if you're getting 4 years of free money, you ought to be able to pony up a couple grand for PPE. After all if someone just walked in without the R&R being funded, what then?

Physicals, usually not an issue oddly enough. Either way both are a reimbursement basis and the requests have to be approved before funds are distributed. So even if you get funded for having PPE in the award, if you can't justify the costs of the PPE at the time you request the funding, might not get it. Also physicals have to be done and person has to pass to be reimbursed for the costs.
    Just a question on how to work the PPE and physical into the grant request budget. Do I say we anticipate 8-10 new members each year for 4 years so include physical and PPE cost for that? And what if our campaign is a bigger success and we go over?

Forum Member

If you think you can't handle that many people coming in and equipping them then yes. And if you go over within a year's estimate then you're on the hook for the difference. If you save funds in other areas they have been pretty lenient in letting people move money over to cover, and close to the end of the 4 years if you have had savings in some areas or you get 4 the first year and 12 the next after estimating 8 they'll let you cover the difference. The yearly estimates are exactly that, estimates, but it is treated as a single block of money to spend over the 4 years so it's not like if a year passes and you don't spend it all it's gone. Recruitment might go slow with the marketing efforts the first 18 months but take off in years 3 and 4 so if you estimate evenly and end up not needing it early on then it's still there at the end you can still spend it. Might have to file some amendments for accuracy purposes but you'll still be able to get the funding.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    If you think you can't handle that many people coming in and equipping them then yes. And if you go over within a year's estimate then you're on the hook for the difference. If you save funds in other areas they have been pretty lenient in letting people move money over to cover, and close to the end of the 4 years if you have had savings in some areas or you get 4 the first year and 12 the next after estimating 8 they'll let you cover the difference. The yearly estimates are exactly that, estimates, but it is treated as a single block of money to spend over the 4 years so it's not like if a year passes and you don't spend it all it's gone. Recruitment might go slow with the marketing efforts the first 18 months but take off in years 3 and 4 so if you estimate evenly and end up not needing it early on then it's still there at the end you can still spend it. Might have to file some amendments for accuracy purposes but you'll still be able to get the funding.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure because we received a R&R grant in 2006 and it was written very generic with no real plan and I took over as the admin of the grant and since we didn't know what we were allowed to buy we ended up losing money. Our FEMA rep said if we didn't spend the money every quarter it was lost. So we ended up losing out by the end.

Forum Member

Well they don't want people sitting around wondering what to do with it, just like regular AFG apps as long as something is happening and the applicant is being progressive they'll work with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm just looking for a few ideas that have worked. For some reason I am stumped on this one. Would love to hire but the trick is how to comply with staffing. We are volunteer, so we obviously cant hire 12 people to be compliant with staffing. We can depend on the volunteer ratio to get there. Has anyone been able to make this happen on the volunteer level or are we restricted to R&R. I haven't seen many ideas on the R&R relm either. I am well versed with the AFG and FP&S. I have yet to try this one, I guess for lack of knowledge or ideas. Any help anyone?

Forum Member

Unless you can't turn out 10 people on a run between mutual aid and the volunteer contingent then that's the gap you need to fill with hiring. Both of those are super gray areas so it pretty much depends on how many you can afford to hire. Most of the time we run a hiring and an R&R to handle motivating both crowds, or do 1 one year and 1 the next. We've also done pay per shift for the vollies for those that are around on weekdays instead of hiring. Had one department where the retired but not too old crowd was available during weekdays but wasn't turning out and instead hanging over at the coffee shop, so the interior folks that were available ended up driving and not going in. Did the pay per shift so that they'd show up and let the interior do that job. All sorts of stuff is doable in SAFER, just depends on what the challenges are to staffing. SAFER is especially a different strokes for different folks program, even neighboring departments have different issues, challenges, and solutions that would work.

Forum Member

We have a program we are trying to implement giving individual so many points for training,so many for calls and so many for fund raising activities and etc.At the end of each quarter they would receive a voucher for gas for the points they have built up. Does anyone else do this? If so I would like to hear how you are doing yours and how it is working and if anyone has a narrative that I could look at I would appreciate it. I know it is getting late but still working with it to see if this is what we want to do.

dtaa665199@aol.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DTaa66 View Post
    We have a program we are trying to implement giving individual so many points for training,so many for calls and so many for fund raising activities and etc.At the end of each quarter they would receive a voucher for gas for the points they have built up. Does anyone else do this? If so I would like to hear how you are doing yours and how it is working and if anyone has a narrative that I could look at I would appreciate it. I know it is getting late but still working with it to see if this is what we want to do.

dtaa665199@aol.com
    We are looking to write something similiar. We were going to go by mileage per call for gas cards. And grocery gift cards for training hours and completing FF1 & II etc. Any narrative would be appreciated

dfd420@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Check with your local accountants about paying mileage, sometimes that comes into all taxable unlike the usual 1099 limit of $600.

Also can't pay perks for fundraising activities, only training and incidents.

Thread Information