Forum Member

Default Morning Pride Ben 2 plus with EZ-flips Question

Hey everyone, I was doing some looking and saw that the B2+ had a new Bourkes style eyeshield they call Ez-flips and that they are NFPA and Osha approved.
    But what I cant seem to find is whether or not I would be able to replace my safety glasses with them.
    I currently have a Cairns 1010 with the defender shield which is NFPA, OSHA, and ANSI approved for eye protection and I like them, but they are somewhat awkward with my prescription glasses that I have to wear in order to see.

If the EZ-Flips are approved for use as primary eye protection I would love that because I would be able to wear them with my glasses and they wouldnt interfere much at all.

Any information I could get would be greatly appreciated. we have some saftey guys at my station that absolutely flipped on me when I got my Defender shield till I proved that it was approved for eye protection and I dont want to invest in a ben 2 plus if Im not going to be able to where it, ya know?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ktstull View Post
    Hey everyone, I was doing some looking and saw that the B2+ had a new Bourkes style eyeshield they call Ez-flips and that they are NFPA and Osha approved.
    But what I cant seem to find is whether or not I would be able to replace my safety glasses with them.
    You can, but your helmet won't meet NFPA standards anymore. A Ben 2+with EZ-Flips is only NFPA approved if you buy it that way from the factory. You can't retrofit it.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

If the EZ-Flips are approved for use as primary eye protection I would love that because I would be able to wear them with my glasses and they wouldnt interfere much at all.

Any information I could get would be greatly appreciated. we have some saftey guys at my station that absolutely flipped on me when I got my Defender shield till I proved that it was approved for eye protection and I dont want to invest in a ben 2 plus if Im not going to be able to where it, ya know?
    The Ben 2 Plus is a great helmet, but in all honesty, the EZ-flips (bourkes and flip down shields too) are not adequate primary eye protection.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    You can, but your helmet won't meet NFPA standards anymore. A Ben 2+with EZ-Flips is only NFPA approved if you buy it that way from the factory. You can't retrofit it.
    I was thinking about buying a Ben 2+ right from the factory with the EZ-Flips. When I said "replace my safety glasses with them", I wanted to know if they would be sufficient enough for Primary eye protection in for example, OSHA and ANSIs eyes.

Forum Member

.They do make OSHA approved Bourkes (It's what I use.) You can find them all day long online for sale. Although I'm not sure if the ones that come on the lids from the factory are or not? You may have to consult MP about that..

Forum Member

I was thinking about buying a Ben 2+ right from the factory with the EZ-Flips. When I said "replace my safety glasses with them", I wanted to know if they would be sufficient enough for Primary eye protection in for example, OSHA and ANSIs eyes.
    Yes. The factory installed EZ-Flips are both OSHA and NFPA compliant, although I'd recommend safety glasses/goggles over EZ-Flips or a visor for higher risk operations.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Yes. The factory installed EZ-Flips are both OSHA and NFPA compliant, although I'd recommend safety glasses/goggles over EZ-Flips or a visor for higher risk operations.
    Ok, with that being said, I have prescription glasses to see normally, which is why I have the defender shield in my current 1010, due to the fact that it is too awkward to try to wear regular safety glasses over or under my prescription glasses, if I got a Ben 2+ with the ez-flips, would I be able to wear those on working rescues when operating a rescue tool?without having wear essentially 3 layers (my regular glasses, safety glasses, ez-flips)

Forum Member

would I be able to wear those on working rescues when operating a rescue tool?without having wear essentially 3 layers (my regular glasses, safety glasses, ez-flips)
    If they're safety glasses and provide sufficient coverage, I don't know why not.

Forum Member

Ok, cool thanks everybody. I am going to talk to some people at the Baltimore Fire Expo tomorrow about it but hopefully I hear what I wanna hear and That is that my regular prescription non-safety glasses and these new ez-flip will provide enough coverage for working rescues and such. lol

Forum Member

The Ben 2 Plus with EZFlips is essentially the only way to get an NFPA approved helmet without buying goggles or a shield. That being said, I would NOT use them as your only eye protection. With as cheap as ESS safety glasses can be had through Standard Issue, there is literally no reason every firefighter should not own a pair. Pretty sure you can get them in PX too.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information