View Poll Results: VOLUNTEER FFs - What NFPA certifications do you have?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Firefighter I

36 83.72%
  • Firefighter II

34 79.07%
  • Instructor I

13 30.23%
  • Instructor II

4 9.30%
  • Instructor III

2 4.65%
  • Fire Officer I

18 41.86%
  • Other (feel free to list them below)

18 41.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Forum Member

Default Volunteer FFs - What certifications do you have?

This poll is for volunteer firefighters only. If you are a career firefighter, please answer the poll for career members.

Please check all that apply on the poll at the top of this thread.
    Last edited by dfwfirefighter; 07-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am both...so I will answer this side with the certs I earned while a volly.

FF1, Driver Operator, Officer, Instructor, Haz-Mat Technician, Hurst Jaws of Life Instructor

I could add dozens of other classes, including NFA Field Courses to this list.

I need to add my EMT, Wildland firefighter, and my Associate Degree in Fire Science.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 07-28-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: additioal info
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Haz mat awareness nat. cert.
    Haz mat Operations 472 core, ppe,pc
    Emt
    AHA certified BLS instructor
    NFPA 1006 General requirements for tech. rescue
    Pa. DOH vehicle rescue technician

A slew of other typical 4-24 hour classes offered by the community college we train through.

Forum Member

FFI and II (Both IFSAC certified, and HazMat Ops along with FFII). AEMT. I've got a bunch of other non-NFPA certificates as well as a few NFA classes. I've also got the Certified Wildland Firefighter class. Working on Instructor and Officer, Just waiting for them to come up in my area.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

FF1, EMT-B, Emergency Vehicle Ops, HazMat, a bunch of NIMS/ICS courses and a bunch of in-house training, the most important being vehicle rescue.

Forum Member

I didn't respond to the poll but, just as a data point, I completed FF III and EMT as a volunteer before considering applying as a career firefighter.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Most of my certifications were earned while as a volunteer.......

FFI/II; Fire & Life Safety Educator I/II; Instructor I/II; Officer I; Ice Rescue Technician; Haz-Mat Operations; NIMS 100-300; EMT-B and all my other EMS certs.

Inspector I/II and Driver/Operator - Pumper as well as NIMS 400 were earned while on the job.

Probably going to test for Haz-Mat Incident Commander through my VFD before the end of the year.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-28-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

FFI, FFII, Haz Ops, Driver/Operator, Officer 1 and 2, ISO, HSO, Leadership 1,2,3. Trench Ops, Ropes 1 and 2. Extrication Tech. Many others I have forgotten.

Forum Member

FFI, FFII, FF survival, Evoc, Accident Extrication, Building construction, ISO 100, 200, and 700, EMT-B, AHA CPR & first aid instructor, and a couple more that aren't coming to my me at this moment.

Also have my Associates in Fire Science

Forum Member

Essentials of FF, Intermediate FF, Advanced FF(Combined these three make FF1 and FF2), Hazmat Technician, NYS level 1 Fire investigator, Rope Rescue Technician, Auto Extrication, Fire Officer 1, ICS 100, 200, 700, 800, 300, EVOC, Pump Operator, Truck Company operations, Ice rescue awareness, Confined space Tech, Water rescue awareness, and a slew of other courses I cant think of right now.
    Last edited by Lewiston2FF; 07-30-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added classes
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

My first volly put me through ff 1&2 along with instructor and officer (requirement for all line personnel). I had to go through an academy for career and recertified later on.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

Certifications? Advanced EMT - Critical Care.

Formal training? Lots. But while I have certificates, I don't consider them certifications.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

FF1's my only big cert currently, going after FF2 at the end of this year.

I have countless amounts of certifications in small stuff, like rope rescue and stuff.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

FF1, FF2, Officer 1, Instructor 1, D/O Pumper, D/O Aerial, Haz-Ops, NIMS (100, 200, 300, 400, 700, 800), NFA Safety Officer and Emergency Tech - Basic. I'm also certified as a Federal Air Management Administrator - fancy way of saying I teach people how to administer fit-testing.

We're currently working on Haz-Tech for all our command officers. I'm also working on my Officer 2 and Instructor 2.

Then countless additional certifications - rope, ice, Evoc... to many to list.

My full-time job as a police sergeant and police instructor keeps my list pretty loaded.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Certifications? Advanced EMT - Critical Care.
    What does "Advanced EMT - Critical Care" entail? Just curious as I've never heard of anything "critical care" below the Paramedic level.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    What does "Advanced EMT - Critical Care" entail? Just curious as I've never heard of anything "critical care" below the Paramedic level.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEMT-CC
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Picc got it - it's a NY thing. In general, the only difference (in field practice) is that some meds and procedures require permission from med control, while paramedics generally have standing orders for the entire protocol book.

Becoming a critical care EMT (long known as a "Level Three") requires only two semesters worth of study - and that's strictly the EMS stuff. Nobody offers a degree in AEMT-CC. Most folks who are stepping up from basic do the AEMT-I (essentially a trauma tech, and not analagous to the national Intermediate) in the fall and the AEMT-CC in the spring. Classes have always been taught locally.

Before paramedic training became more widely available (some early paramedics in this area routinely commuted 2-3 hours several nights a week to attend classes), the CC provided a way to deliver ALS to the masses. While paramedic numbers in the area have grown, it's still not unusual to hear a squad report enroute "Level 3."

Re: Levels. In the early days, Level 1 was EMT Basic, Level 2 was Intermediate, Level 3 was Critical Care, and Level 4 was Paramedic. The terms still see use today.

Forum Member

Picc got it - it's a NY thing. In general, the only difference (in field practice) is that some meds and procedures require permission from med control, while paramedics generally have standing orders for the entire protocol book.

Becoming a critical care EMT (long known as a "Level Three") requires only two semesters worth of study - and that's strictly the EMS stuff. Nobody offers a degree in AEMT-CC. Most folks who are stepping up from basic do the AEMT-I (essentially a trauma tech, and not analagous to the national Intermediate) in the fall and the AEMT-CC in the spring. Classes have always been taught locally.

Before paramedic training became more widely available (some early paramedics in this area routinely commuted 2-3 hours several nights a week to attend classes), the CC provided a way to deliver ALS to the masses. While paramedic numbers in the area have grown, it's still not unusual to hear a squad report enroute "Level 3."

Re: Levels. In the early days, Level 1 was EMT Basic, Level 2 was Intermediate, Level 3 was Critical Care, and Level 4 was Paramedic. The terms still see use today.
    I'm familiar with this type of thing, but not the terminology used in NY. When I lived in NC a number of years ago, they had an "Advanced Intermediate" level that sounds to be very similar to this.

In PA a "critical care" Paramedic is typically part of a flight crew or some other high acuity care team and authorized to do things beyond what a Paramedic on a "common" ambulance or response unit can do.
    I'd never heard of the "critical care" label being used for an overall provider level whose skill set doesn't actually include "critical care" treatment beyond what would be the normal scope of practice for others at that level.

Forum Member

FF1, HAZMAT Awareness and Ops (Proboard), all the NIMS courses and like everyone else said, other certs from the community college that hosts the classes. Going for FF2 and Fire Officer 1 as soon as possible.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

NY is finally working toward national standards vs their own. The current Intermediate is a dying breed, and with the availability of a paramedic program at the local community college, most folks who want to advance beyond Basic are taking the time to go paramedic.

Those of us who have been around for a while aren't usually interested in devoting 18 months to two years to upgrading to paramedic, repeating much of the material we've already had. If a bridge program was offered, maybe.

I suspect that as us old-timer I's and CC's get out of the business, things may well go the way of Delaware, which, as I understand it has only EMT-B and Paramedic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Besides the listed in the poll...I got inspector, investigator, aircraft firefighter, evoc, haz-mat tech, extrication, trench rescue, ice rescue, confined space rescue, officer I & II, driver operator both engine and ladder, all the ICS crap, incident safety officer and health and safety officer.

I suspect that as us old-timer I's and CC's get out of the business, things may well go the way of Delaware, which, as I understand it has only EMT-B and Paramedic.
    This is what Wisconsin is leaning to. Some of the EMT-I skills will got to the basic level and all the drugs will go to the paramedic level. It is still being debated in Madison but that seems to be the trend.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well............

Maryland EMT-B, National Pro Board Fire Officer I, II, III, IV, Fire Instructor I, II, III, Firefighter I, II, III, Fire Apparatus Driver Operator, Haz Mat Tech, Wildland Firefighter. and probably a few more.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

NREMT-B Kentucky EMT-B
    PALS
    Firefighter I . Hazmat Technician (HAZWOPPER)
    High Angle Rope Rescue Operations
    I am also a Kentucky Certified Law Enforcement, Fire, and Emergency Medical Telecommunicator DOCJT Class 61 Trained in Tactical communications, FBI Hostage and Crisis Negotiation, NCIC, and Flight controller.
    United States Department of Defense Anti Terrorisim Level I
    EVOIII

And a partridge in a pear tree
    Last edited by IronValor; 08-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Forum Member

FF1/2, EMT-I, HAZMAT Tech, Rope Rescue Tech, Vehicle/Machinery Extrication Tech, Water Rescue Tech, Structural Collapse Tech, Trench Rescue Tech, Confined Space Tech, Driver/Operator, Instructor

CE's are a BIATCH!
    Last edited by backsteprescue123; 08-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I have none of the courses listed. When I got into the fire service none of those courses were being taught. EMS back then was scrape them off the road. throw them on a stretcher, and drive like hell to the hospital. I guess things have changed a bit. Here are the ones I can remember. It has been 43 years for some of them. Most of them exist under some other name now.

Essentials of Firemanship
    Initial Fire Attack
    Pump Operator
    Ladder Company Operation
    Heavy Rescue
    Training Officers Workshop I/II
    Educational Methodology
    NFA Leadership I/II/II
    Pump Testing Train the Trainer
    Basic Firefighter
    EVOC
    Fire Investigation
    Confined Space Awareness
    Hazmat Awareness/Operations/Technician

Oh yes, the 1st 2 levels of NIMS. They were the biggest waste of time. A tanker may have wings on it in Calif. but it is something that FD's the rural areas have here.

Going to take a FF1 course next month to see what they are now teaching.
    Last edited by Fitguy51; 08-04-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Thread Information