Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Herniated Discs

Forum Member

Exclamation Herniated Discs

Hey guys,

Anyone have em and get on the job? I have 2 that bother from time to time, but had no true physical deficits. Ps; EMS sucks all I have to say about that...

Forum Member

Default Ems?

EMS sucks?? Everyone knows that 80% of all fire dept calls are ems related plus the majority of departments require all personel to be cross trained (FF/PM). Take your herniated discs and look for a different type job.

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

I have had two herniated discs since 1995, was young and dumb then. In 2005 I was a Federal Firefighter and I really started to have problems with them popping out of alignment, especially after wearing SCBA at a fire. You cannot appreciate the pain unless if you have herniated discs yourself- the pain is just absolutely unimaginable- to the point where you might be laying on the floor of your bedroom for hours out of fear of moving and having that gunshot/lightning like suddeness of pain shooting down your abdomen and legs. Of course my obesity didnt help either. Started seeing Doctors including a Neurosurgeon- said he didnt want to touch me because he couldnt guarantee a fix and also couldnt guarantee damage would not be done.

In any case, it got to the point where I started to barter with the guys to trade positions so that I would drive all the time. But then that didnt work anymore- what happened if the assigned driver didnt want to trade? Or what if I had to throw a ground ladder, or open a roof? My back, combined with some other (unrelated) matters of Federal employment finally got to me, and I started looking for other avenues of employment- but mostly fear of risking my brothers lives because of my back, or not being able to be there for them, because of my back. I found another opportunity within public safety and also underwent gastric bypass. I have not had any major problems with my back, just some minor aches and pains after mowing the lawn and things like that.

Moral of the story: They can and will get worse if you allow them to. When that happens, if you have HALF of the pain that I had, you will be screaming. Make sure you take care of yourself, dont get fat, and try not to do anything to aggrivate the condition. Get it treated if possible.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I am a medic first of all buddy, on one of the busiest units in the country. Thanks for those that have helped!

Thread Information