Thread: Roll Up Doors

Forum Member

Default Roll Up Doors

Our engine is currently equipped with painted roll up doors. While in for service recently we were told that the doors are starting to corrode. They are however under warranty and the dealer will replace all of the doors. I was looking on thoughts regarding replacing them with painted doors again or going unpainted. The truck is currently about 5 years old.

Thank you

Reliance

Go unpainted. We had the same problem with our painted doors.

Forum Member

Curious as to the manufacturer of your doors.

Forum Member

Go unpainted and color the reflective stripe. It's good the dealer/manufacturer are stepping up to the plate for you guys.

Let's talk fire trucks!

We've been running roll-up doors since 1997 at work, and we started painting them (well, powder-coating them at that time) in 1998. Doing some quick math, that means we have about 38 rigs in service with painted roll-ups. They've been supplied by different manufacturers along the way, and for the most part, we've had exceptional luck with the paint holding up.

One of the concerns you'll find with the satin finish (unpainted) doors is that the aluminum used to make the doors might come from different lots, and the doors may have a slightly different finish in the sun, or different slats within the same door might look different. I have this issue on one of my volunteer rigs.

If you currently have painted doors, and the manufacturer is willing to replace them under warranty, I'd stick with them. Remember that the new doors will also come with their own warranty, although I do understand that getting new compartment doors every few months might be a PITA. ;-)
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

If it's just the doors that are corroded, and nothing else, I'd say it's a problem just with those doors. But there are other factors like the environment and usage. Are you near the ocean or an industrial area that could be affecting the paint? It's possible that they just weren't prepped good at the factory also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reliance View Post
    Go unpainted. We had the same problem with our painted doors.
    I think that the unpainted roll up doors have some type of clear coat finish on them to reduce pitting ?

Forum Member

We have an engine with unpainted roll up door. Also have an engine with painted roll up doors. Painted ones are fine, unpainted has some corrosion. Go figure.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information