Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Our new Engine/Tanker

Forum Member

Default Our new Engine/Tanker

This week we brought our new Engine/Tanker home. It's been a great time planning and researching a truck that will greatly upgrade our capabilities. We're lucky that we recieve great support from the citizens of our township. We also got a great crew that looks to improving service and training.
    We just got the truck home Thursday night so we haven't started mounting anything yet. We're going to require 6 hours of individual training before firefighters are allowed to drive it on an emergency call, and they will have to be signed off on all the other apparatus first as well. Here's some pics and spec's on the truck.
    On a side note, I didn't get a close up, but there's a plaque on the right side pump panel dedicating the truck to a local citizen. He was the first Asst. Chief of the dept. and a WWII vet. He was a paratrooper with the 101st ABN Div., participated in D-Day, Bastogne, and was a Prisoner of War. He was also the local Postmaster as well. I'll have to post a pic later, he deserves it.

Some of the spec's:

Pierce Impel Chassis
    Cummins 450 HP ISL9 engine
    Allison Gen IV, 3000 EVS P transmission
    Waterous 1500gpm CSU single stage pump
    2500 gal. poly tank
    2-3" tank to pump lines
    Front mounted front suction
    10" Newton dump valves, rear and both sides
    5" discharge, R side
    320 amp Leece-Neville alternator
    6 man cab, with EMS compartment
    2500 througth the tank dump tank compartment
    2-1 3/4" crosslays
    2 1/2" crosslay
    Husky-12 foam pump with 25 gal Class A tank
    10KW hyd. generator
    Federal Q2B siren
    Powercall Adam6 200w electronic siren
    2 1/2" rear discharge
    4" rear direct tank fill
    Jake Brake
    Extend-a-gun and moniter nozzle

And a bunch of other stuff

We have sections in the hose bed for 2 1/2, 3, and 5" hose. Currently we have 1100' of 5", but we are going to try and fit another 3 or 400' on the truck. We also have a BlitzFire nozzle and TurboDraft appliance that will go on the truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by johnsb; 08-06-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    Weruj1 likes this.

Forum Member

Some more pics

Forum Member

Where's the Folda tank?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Where's the Folda tank?
    The Folda-Tank is in a through the tank compartment, the door is the white "E372" on the back of the truck. (the dump tank hasn't arrived yet)

Forum Member

Great looking piece! It's clear a lot of thought went into it. I assume on the rear of both sides are dump chutes (behind the metal plates)?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Great looking piece! It's clear a lot of thought went into it. I assume on the rear of both sides are dump chutes (behind the metal plates)?
    Yep, that's what those are. They just open automatically when the chute is employed. Now we have to figure out where we want to put all the tools and equiment, and how to mount it. That will probably take a couple of weeks.

Forum Member

gonna need a hard suction to draft out of that water jug
    MemphisE34a likes this.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    gonna need a hard suction to draft out of that water jug
    That's an ajustable, inflatable, non-stick dump tank.

Actually...

That was for training on how to fill the on board foam tank using the eductor. It was just a section of cut off hose to keep filling the jug for the training.

Forum Member

Here's a pic of the plaque on the truck honoring a local WWII Vet. It's on the officer's side pump panel.
    WBFD25 and FIREMECH1 like this.

Forum Member

Looks like a pretty nice Engine. We just got recently got one similar, except it's a 1000gal and it has a top-mount pump panel. So far the Impel is a pretty nice rig. Nice tribute plaque also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rico3101 View Post
    Looks like a pretty nice Engine. We just got recently got one similar, except it's a 1000gal and it has a top-mount pump panel. So far the Impel is a pretty nice rig. Nice tribute plaque also.
    Our other front line engine is like yours, only on a contender chassis.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

What is the price difference between a Pierce Arrow XT chassis & the Impel chassis ,that your department selected ?Very nice pumper/tanker, good luck with your new rig and stay safe! Wow it's huge.
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 08-06-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Forum Member

Congrats on the new rig. That is one beautiful truck, and very large as well! I know that it wouldn't fit in our station! What is the overall height and length, if you don't mind me asking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    Congrats on the new rig. That is one beautiful truck, and very large as well! I know that it wouldn't fit in our station! What is the overall height and length, if you don't mind me asking.
    Thanks to everyone for the compliments, we did a lot of work to get this spec'd. The height on this is around 10' 7'-9 depending on wether the tank is empty or full. Length is around 37'. The cramp angle is 45 degrees, so it turns pretty good for it's size. GVW is right around 69,000
    In answer to Woodbridges' question, we went with the Impel because of more cab room and a couple of other features. I don't think we ever considerer price since the Impel was within our price limit. It was right around 506K for the truck with another 60K for hose and equipment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the compliments, we did a lot of work to get this spec'd. The height on this is around 10' 7'-9 depending on wether the tank is empty or full. Length is around 37'. The cramp angle is 45 degrees, so it turns pretty good for it's size. GVW is right around 69,000.
    Wouldn't even come close to fitting in our House. 10' height limit and 30' length limit for us. I would love for my department to be able to send 1/2 that much on a new rig. We finally, after 12 years of begging, have a new engine coming this fall. We got it done for just under 200k, but our Board of Directors still wouldn't purchase it until we (the firemen) raised 1/2 of the money.

Anyway, that's an awesome rig and should serve you very well for a long time.

Forum Member

Name:  Engine 377 L side.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  29.7 KB
    Wouldn't even come close to fitting in our House. 10' height limit and 30' length limit for us. I would love for my department to be able to send 1/2 that much on a new rig. We finally, after 12 years of begging, have a new engine coming this fall. We got it done for just under 200k, but our Board of Directors still wouldn't purchase it until we (the firemen) raised 1/2 of the money.

Anyway, that's an awesome rig and should serve you very well for a long time.
    Luckily, we are supported by taxes and don't have to raise money for equipment. We do have fundraisers, but that goes to fund community relations events, charitable donations, and things like furniture for the day room. This is the last apparatus we will likely buy in the next 10 years or so, we've replaced all the old stuff that we had when I came on 10 years ago. A bond issue payed for a new station. The old one wouldn't hold the "newer" trucks, they were in an old repair shop across the street from the station and barely fit there. Here's a pic of what it replaced. Despite it's outward appearance, it was rusting out from the inside. And the power steering pump just blew a couple of months ago as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Attachment 22274

Luckily, we are supported by taxes and don't have to raise money for equipment. We do have fundraisers, but that goes to fund community relations events, charitable donations, and things like furniture for the day room. This is the last apparatus we will likely buy in the next 10 years or so, we've replaced all the old stuff that we had when I came on 10 years ago. A bond issue payed for a new station. The old one wouldn't hold the "newer" trucks, they were in an old repair shop across the street from the station and barely fit there. Here's a pic of what it replaced. Despite it's outward appearance, it was rusting out from the inside. And the power steering pump just blew a couple of months ago as well.
    We are supported by taxes, just not very well and our BOD wouldn't bond for it. Most of them are old enough that they still see the 1981 engine we're replacing as "not too old" and the 1991 engine that's our first out as "the new truck". Our '81 has the same problems the one you replaced did, she's just rotting away from the inside out.

Forum Member

We are supported by taxes, just not very well and our BOD wouldn't bond for it. Most of them are old enough that they still see the 1981 engine we're replacing as "not too old" and the 1991 engine that's our first out as "the new truck". Our '81 has the same problems the one you replaced did, she's just rotting away from the inside out.
    You need to explain to them what ISO can do for insurance rates with better equipment, and NFPA standards for apparatus. While they aren't the only reason for getting new trucks, they can help show justification for them. Our "reserve" engine is a '91, but it only has 30,000 miles on it. Everything else is '03 or newer. But we won't be buying anything for a while either.
    If your old truck is unsafe, just refuse to use it.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Very nice. I hope it exceeds your expectations.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    Very nice. I hope it exceeds your expectations.
    The key is going to be getting the firefighters to respect the size when driving, and to know all the capabilities of the truck, and not limit themselves to basic operations.

Forum Member

You'll LIKE that frt suction. Keeps the tanks out of the road and one FF can set it up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    You'll LIKE that frt suction. Keeps the tanks out of the road and one FF can set it up.
    We spec'd it because we have it on our other front line engine. And we do love it, makes dump tank ops really easy on narrow roads. One of our tactics on house fires is to back into the driveway enough so that we can put the tank in front of the engine. If it's a longer driveway the first engine can lay a line and the second one can back in and set up.
    jmurphy139 likes this.

Forum Member

Default Rear suction

We have a rear suction on a pumper tanker. Works great to start off as a nurse tanker then switch over to a draft engine. Ditto on keeping the dump tanks in line with the truck.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Rear suction with front preconnects allows us to pull in the driveway and drop the tank behind us.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Rear suction with front preconnects allows us to pull in the driveway and drop the tank behind us.
    So how is that set up? Do you have hard suction preconnected on the rear, or just the intake? Are the front preconnects for discharge and what size? What kind of truck is this on? We honestly never considered a rear suction, just the rear direct tank fill.

Thread Information