Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By nameless
  • 2 Post By ATFDFF

Thread: I want to become a firefighter!

Forum Member

Default I want to become a firefighter!

Hello!

I'm 22 years old and I want to become a firefighter very much. I had tons of questions, I found almost all answers, but there is still some things I would be happy to know.

Here they are:

1. How do you work at hot summer days? It is already hot, when you are near fire, but what if weather is more than 35c? Doesn't conditions like that take away ability to move and think fast?

2. No doubt that all firefighters are brave man, but does this job is so dangerous as it looks like? For example, do you really go in burning houses, when you know it can collapse at any time? Or you somehow know when you can go in, and when you should work from outside?
    I have seen lot of videos where firefighters are on roof and cutting hole, but none of them use roof ladders. why? Is it something like sailboats when captain should wear life vest, but nobody actually wears them?

3. Do you learn in school everything and then just do whatever you need to, or you can choose your upcoming duties, when starting school?

4. I know that sometimes smoke can be so heavy, that you can't see your own hand. How it is possible to extinguish fire then (if you don't see it)?

5. I believe that every country have different rules, but these should be quite similar, so how much hours you have to work in week?

6. I see that all firefighter cars are clean and shiny, so who washes them? Also how often you clean your suits?

I would be very happy if somebody answers these questions (if you don't want to answer on all, then just pick one please )

Thank you very much!!
    Last edited by Oskar; 08-06-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    Hello!

I'm 22 years old and I want to become a firefighter very much. I had tons of questions, I found almost all answers, but there is still some things I would be happy to know.

Here they are:

What country/ city are you in???

1. How do you work at hot summer days? It is already hot, when you are near fire, but what if weather is more than 35c? Doesn't conditions like that take away ability to move and think fast?

Be in good shape, and pace yourself, plus they give you breaks.

2. No doubt that all firefighters are brave man, but does this job is so dangerous as it looks like? For example, do you really go in burning houses, when you know it can collapse at any time? Or you somehow know when you can go in, and when you should work from outside?
    I have seen lot of videos where firefighters are on roof and cutting hole, but none of them use roof ladders. why? Is it something like sailboats when captain should wear life vest, but nobody actually wears them?

3. Do you learn in school everything and then just do whatever you need to, or you can choose your upcoming duties, when starting school?

Not normaly.

4. I know that sometimes smoke can be so heavy, that you can't see your own hand. How it is possible to extinguish fire then (if you don't see it)?

Practice in the dark and ventilate..

5. I believe that every country have different rules, but these should be quite similar, so how much hours you have to work in week?

6. I see that all firefighter cars are clean and shiny, so who washes them? Also how often you clean your suits?

I would be very happy if somebody answers these questions (if you don't want to answer on all, then just pick one please )

Thank you very much!!

Forum Member

Oscar-

If you get serious about doing it, you can go to my site. There is a free step by step guide to getting hired as a firefighter faster. I've also got some good articles, and you can find volunteer firefighter jobs across the country if you'd like to get some great experience/free training. (The volunteer jobs are updated daily, and they're FREE as well...

Best,

Paul C
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

1.) When it's hot we don't fight fires. The sweat messes up my hair and makes me feel gross.
    2.) Fire is scary, I just want a T-shirt and to tell women that I'm a firemans and I walk were the devil dances. #1 fire slayer. I'm not sure what a roof ladder is, we don't use ladders where I am.
    3.) I didn't pay attention in firefighter school, I new a guy at city hall so i got in easy.
    4.) I just spray at the smoke. Usually the basement stops the fire.
    5.) I don't really work, I just sleep and eat.
    6.) I use the city's soap to wash my car. I dry clean my suit before dinner parties.
    VinnieB and mtvfr6 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    1.) When it's hot we don't fight fires. The sweat messes up my hair and makes me feel gross.
    2.) Fire is scary, I just want a T-shirt and to tell women that I'm a firemans and I walk were the devil dances. #1 fire slayer. I'm not sure what a roof ladder is, we don't use ladders where I am.
    3.) I didn't pay attention in firefighter school, I new a guy at city hall so i got in easy.
    4.) I just spray at the smoke. Usually the basement stops the fire.
    5.) I don't really work, I just sleep and eat.
    6.) I use the city's soap to wash my car. I dry clean my suit before dinner parties.
    Bossier Bobby....get off nameless's account!!
    nameless and RyanK63 like this.

Forum Member

There are only two guys on this whole forum that are "actual real firefighters". Keep checking back, they will pop up soon and tell you that they are.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Not me.

I find the "Fight What You Fear" t-shirt, which by the way, i change into in a nearby telephone booth, makes the fire no so big, bad and scary.

As far as school, i spent most of my time just slinging spitballs as the hot female recruit.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Not me.

I find the "Fight What You Fear" t-shirt, which by the way, i change into in a nearby telephone booth, makes the fire no so big, bad and scary.

As far as school, i spent most of my time just slinging spitballs as the hot female recruit.
    She's not into guys who have a love affair with a red Swingline stapler...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    She's not into guys who have a love affair with a red Swingline stapler...
    hahah chief..... priceless.....

Forum Member

Hello!

Here they are:

Conditioning and frequent breaks, when there is enough manpower available to do so. And yezs, yhour ability to think and react does slow down as your body heats up, and that can be a very real danger if there is not enough manpower on-scene to take adequate breaks.

That depends on the culture, training, experience and resources of the department. There are some departments that will enter a particuliar building under a specific condition, and other departments that will not given the same conditions. Most fire department runs have a minimum of danger, though every response could result in an MVA so that possibility ios a constant. Even medical calls can pose threats to health and firefighter safety including blood borne pathogens, volinence and liftin-related injuries.

There are roofs that may be quite stable and do not require a roof ladder, or roofs where the use of a roof ladder is not practical. That may be very much a judgement call by the officer or senior firefighter in charge of the operation.

A career department may send you to an academy to start your education, or in some cases, expect you to have obtained specified experience, training and/or certication prior to applying. In either case, a department will continue to train you further after you complete the academy or are ghired with previous training.

Most VFDs will train you once you are accepted on. The range of training varies greatly.

There are times when the smoke is heavy and it's prudent not to be in the structure.

You may also use a Thermal Imaging camera, which can pick up heat signitures through the smoke.

Ranges from 48-56. Some career departments that use 4-shift systems may work a little less. Combo departments that may only use day personnel may only work 45. Department of Defense and Federal Firefighters tend to work more.

We have hot women in bikinis come to the station and wash them for us, so we get to watch them get all wet and soapy.

Gear should be cleaned frequently. Many departments don't provide washing machines at the station due to the cost

Thank you very much!!
    Good thing I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Forum Member

Hello!

Here they are:

Thank you very much!!

Pay no attention to LaFireEducator or anything that he has posted, as he is only a yard man and will not risk his life even for his own family!

Forum Member

Test......

Forum Member

Test........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Pay no attention to LaFireEducator or anything that he has posted, as he is only a yard man and will not risk his life even for his own family!
    wat does this mean??

Let's talk fire trucks!

Stick around, you'll become familiar with the on-going controversy that follows LAFireEductor.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Stick around, you'll become familiar with the on-going controversy that follows LAFireEductor.
    Yup, that's exactly what I said.

Not.

Forum Member

Not.
    1988 called, they want their clever retort back!
    IAFF

Let's talk fire trucks!

Not.
    What are you talking about? I was pointing out the fact that many of your posts stir up controversy. Surely you've noticed that?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    1988 called, they want their clever retort back!
    Hey, if the 80's want thier retort back they are gonna have to come get it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Ah, yes, LA's Law.

And only five posts in!
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

48 hours a week ! Come to NY, its 42 adjusted through cycle time down to 40 with those 2 counted at a overtime rate of 1 1/2 .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Test........
    OK. Its a test. Now what are we to do if this was an actual emergency?

Thread Information