Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By snowball

Thread: How hard would it be to get a career job with a dui/dwi on driving record?

Default How hard would it be to get a career job with a dui/dwi on driving record?

I know of someone that recently got a citation for a dui/dwi in NC. They have a 2 year Associates Degree in Fire Protection Technology and have completed a very good Fire Academy in the state. What would their chances be if this goes on their record?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TJH1137 View Post
    I know of someone that recently got a citation for a dui/dwi in NC. They have a 2 year Associates Degree in Fire Protection Technology and have completed a very good Fire Academy in the state. What would their chances be if this goes on their record?
    In this economy, damn near zero. They need to be prepared to wait 4-6 years before it becomes less of a detriment to being hired. They'd better lawyer up. If they can get on a VFD for a few years and prove themselves that might help.

Forum Member

Sounds to recent

Check different city web sites sometimes they post the disqualifiers

Some cities are after so many years

Forum Member

There are thousands of candidates with clean records.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Its going to be an impedment to getting on a career department.

Advise him to quit drinking. If he gets a second DUI...forget it pal.

Forum Member

I know of someone that recently got a citation for a dui/dwi
    I like this part...hahaha!!
    FWDbuff, ATFDFF and BurninLuv like this.
    IAFF

hahaha!!!!

Forum Member

Hard.

We will barely even consider someone with a DUI for a seasonal firefighter position these days.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I like this part...hahaha!!
    well, its true...he DOES know the guy

Forum Member

Why did you get the dui's?

Have the degree doesn't mean squart in most places. What and how you score the best means something.

It cuts your chances to be hired over someone who doesn't have this baggage handing on them.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I wonder how many times we are going to have this discussion. Advise your friend to seek another career. He is wasting his time with a career department in NC. He might be able to get a job with a combination department that utilizes part-time help with no benifits, but no career deparment is going to hire hime for a long time.

Forum Member

I had quite a few speeding tickets on my record and I still got hired @21. But then again I wasn't drunk when I was speeding. Give it about 5 years and you'll be ok.
    Professional Firefighter/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Speeding is different than DUI. Most of us do that on a regular basis. Speeding rarely kills people and the lack of judgement associated with speeding is not as significant as that associated with DUI.

On another note, you may want to consider spelling "Professional" correctly in your signature. It makes people question that designation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    There are thousands of candidates with clean records.
    That is precisely what will stack the deck against you. There a far more applicants than there are jobs during a recruitment process so every step is designed to eliminate candidates. There will be many applicants with, among other things, spotless records.

I don't necessarily think it is impossible to get a fire department job. It will, however, lean more to the "unlikely" side of the scale.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Another thing to consider is the fact that if you are going for any job with a city, town, county, state or federal government, there is no such thing as a "sealed record". Any stupid stuff one did as a juvenile will be out in the open.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Another thing to consider is the fact that if you are going for any job with a city, town, county, state or federal government, there is no such thing as a "sealed record". Any stupid stuff one did as a juvenile will be out in the open.
    It depends on the state. In our state, the only thing you can find from someone's juvenile past are felonies. Everything else used to be completely erased. Now they just suppress it and the only way to find it is through a court order. It can't/won't show up on a background check. I've hired people with DUIs before, but it was from years previous. Anything that's within the last three or four years and I'm not even going to waste my time.

Forum Member

Its not good to start with and in todays economy,less hiring, more folks taking the test etc.its a big road block,BUT... I know guys who got on my dept. (paid about 500 guys NYS) with dwi's they got after they got on the list. Score on the top of the list and have a great background otherwise and it can happen.

We got FF's who get them and stay on the job,kinda hard to keep others off. See a lawyer .

Thread Information