Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Charleston, SC 2012 Hiring

MembersZone Subscriber

I tested the first day (Sunday) and test officials told the group only 108 showed up to test. It was surprising the number of applicants that missed the opportunity.

PPH
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by senrab78 View Post
    I tested the first day (Sunday) and test officials told the group only 108 showed up to test. It was surprising the number of applicants that missed the opportunity.
    I was there Sunday too. From what they said there were 180 scheduled for Sunday and 200 for Monday.

PPH
    Forum Member

Does anyone have any info on CFDs pension? I've searched but havent found anything.

I think the total amount of test takers was around 230 for 30 positions. I'm use to testing against 800 people for 3 positions. Crazy...

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Looks like emails went out regarding test scores and interviews.

PPH
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    Look up South Carolina Police officer retirement system. We fall under the PORS program. It was 26 years at 52% of your 12 highest quarters earnings. No medical paid either, the program will be different for you compared to guys already on the job
    Thanks for the info, I found the most current info. Looks like the multiplier is still 2.14% per year, but its now for the 20 highest quarters earnings. What do you mean by "no medical paid either"?

Who else is coming back for an interview?

Forum Member

Mine is the 30th

Forum Member

Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

PPH
    Forum Member

No Sh*t 20 quarters now that sucks. What I mean by no medical is that the Department, City, and State upon retirement do not help with your medical insurance. Most retirees are spending like 2,000 dollars a year for medical insurance. I actually think that quote is low though, for the life of me I can't remember what one of our old Capts said he was paying for health insurance but it was astronomical and I can say that I am pretty sure it was higher than 2k.
    Sounds like its the same down here. My Lt is a few years from retirement and looked into medical insurance for him and is wife, he was quoted about $900 a month. As far as pay while your on and after retirement, do most find it a suffucient amount to live off of? I know most guys have 2nd jobs, but is it because they want to or because they have to? Will there much opportunity for OT once this class goes on shhift?

Just so you guys know they are releasing the numbers that are going to interview. I can say one thing and that is this is the easiest hiring portion you will ever see. They have 28 spots and not a lot of people going to interview. Next shift they are doing interview training for the guys doing the interviews.
    Sounds like they are interviewing 112 from the email they sent me. Seems like great odds! One thing I notice on the bottom of the email about the interview was the following: "You should plan on approximately 1 and 1/2 hours for the interview process." Do they really take that long? Is it more than just an interview? All the interviews I've had have been no longer than 20-30 minutes.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm going down to interview on Saturday, 29th.

Forum Member

Hey PPH,

I'm not a FF but I know a few here in the Carolina's and a few in FL. In my area (I'm in NC) many FF's work a 2nd job because A. they have the time to do so, and B. because they need the extra income. There's a pretty big difference (unfortuantely) in pay and retirement systems between FL and the Carolina's. I know a couple FF's in FL and they do not have to work a 2nd job because their pay is very good. One in Central FL has a base of $52k plus OT opportunities, and the other works for a large county in South FL so his pay is considerably higher.

As far as retirement, I can only go by what my friends tell me or from what I've researched on line. It's usually somewhere around 55% after 30 yrs around here (NC) and it looks like SC is around the same. Around here, only Charlotte has a retirement system that can compare to FL's. FL's retirement system is awesome. But the chances of getting a job in FL are tougher than up here, so I chose to pursue up here. Good luck to you.

Forum Member

(continued)...

I also enjoy the better quality of life that NC and SC can offer. In MY opinion.

PS- like I said, I am not a FF yet, but I've done quite a bit of research.

PPH
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    Hey PPH,

I'm not a FF but I know a few here in the Carolina's and a few in FL. In my area (I'm in NC) many FF's work a 2nd job because A. they have the time to do so, and B. because they need the extra income. There's a pretty big difference (unfortuantely) in pay and retirement systems between FL and the Carolina's. I know a couple FF's in FL and they do not have to work a 2nd job because their pay is very good. One in Central FL has a base of $52k plus OT opportunities, and the other works for a large county in South FL so his pay is considerably higher.

As far as retirement, I can only go by what my friends tell me or from what I've researched on line. It's usually somewhere around 55% after 30 yrs around here (NC) and it looks like SC is around the same. Around here, only Charlotte has a retirement system that can compare to FL's. FL's retirement system is awesome. But the chances of getting a job in FL are tougher than up here, so I chose to pursue up here. Good luck to you.
    Yeah, I'm with a county department in Central FL. The pay isn’t as good as what you mentioned, but the state retirement lets you retire with 75% of you highest five years after 25 years of service if you’re in the pension plan. They have an Investment plan as well which is what I'm in from previous employment and it doesn’t even come close to comparing to the pension plan. I'm basically stuck in the investment plan, and that’s part of the reason why I'm looking for employment elsewhere, preferably out of state.

Back on topic....did anyone receive a reply after emailing to confirm your interview appointment?

Forum Member

I didn't receive any kind of confirmation when I replied.

PPH
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by proofyeq View Post
    I didn't receive any kind of confirmation when I replied.
    OK, thanks!

Forum Member

A few questions on the academy:

Where is it?

Is it live in?

Is it the same academy the neighboring departments go through? Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Thread Information