Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Charleston, SC 2012 Hiring

Forum Member

I got the email too. Looks like paramedic school for me.

Forum Member

Got the email too...Did anybody get recruited?

Forum Member

Did not receive an email, or phone call. So I assume they still have to email/call people? Talk about being in limbo.

Forum Member

Hi CFD11, I'm actually in the background investigation part of the process now, and wanted to know if there is alot of overtime while in the academy? I am from PA. and have a family to support, so I want to make sure if I can do that on $9hr salary during the academy. I've been looking around for rooms to rent too. I have alot on my plate to move my family including selling our house up here in Pa. Thanks so much for your help.

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Rec215,
    When ever you get your places you are looking at narrowed down shot me a pm and I will let you know how the areas are around them. Your best bet is to stay away from Charleston County due to the costs, if you get a little further out into summerville, goose creek, Ladson (some areas a little iffy....) Moncks Corner you will get better prices on houses. Also, Dorchester county which is where summerville is by far has the best schools in the area so take that into account as well.

Forum Member

Thanks CFD11. Well, after talking it over with my wife and really looking at our finances, I'm leaning towards withdrawing from the hiring process. My heart and soul wants this opportunity 100%, but with 2 kids and a wife and this economy, I'm not sure I can make the move. I am supposed to come down to Charleston this Friday for the blood work and physical, so we will see. Thanks again for the info.

Forum Member

Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Wow that's tough rec215. I wish u luck in ur decision.

Forum Member

@ rec215 best of luck with your choice.

Anyone have an idea of what to wear for the GXT test? the email said "dress comfortably" so would workout clothes be acceptable for that portion of the exam, or are pants(jeans) suitable?

Forum Member

@CFD11- thanks for the kick in the ***. I understand 100% of what you're saying and I do appreciate the straightforwardness. I fully understand the opportunity that is waiting for me and it is still one tough decision. With that, I am going to come down to do my physical and blood work. If you don't mind me asking, what is making you decide to leave the Charleston Fire Department?

@Want2BAFF, thanks bro.

@PickHead54, when did you get this email? I haven't received one yet. I did talk to Teran this morning and she asked me some questions regarding my background check and military documents. Are you from the Charleston area? Any idea what is involved with the GXT test?

Forum Member

Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    My wife and I are both from the midwest originally but that really doesn't matter to use. The biggest thing is that my goals have always been to work in a very large metro fire department that has a high fire load and a very aggressive atmosphere. I basically test the top 50 cities on the east coast I.E. FDNY, Chicago, Indy, etc. The big thing for me is I just want to fight fire and be paid to do it.

I understand that. I wished I would've tested for the Philadelphia Fire Department back in 2011. I'm originally from there and now I live 45mins north of there and all there are are volunteer departments. My friend, who has 2 cousins that are Lieutenants in the Philly Fire Dept., told me that his cousins said that Philly will be testing next year in 2013. I'm just not sure how they can afford to hire and train more firefighters if the city is in a rolling brownout situation now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rec215 View Post
    @PickHead54, when did you get this email? I haven't received one yet. I did talk to Teran this morning and she asked me some questions regarding my background check and military documents. Are you from the Charleston area? Any idea what is involved with the GXT test?
    I received it earlier today. I'm not from the Charleston area, actually from CT. I understand the GXT test to be a stress test while walking on a treadmill. They check for any heart problems or irregularities, someone correct me if I'm wrong

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PickHead54 View Post
    I received it earlier today. I'm not from the Charleston area, actually from CT. I understand the GXT test to be a stress test while walking on a treadmill. They check for any heart problems or irregularities, someone correct me if I'm wrong
    @PickHead54, I heard there was some fasting involved for the blood work? Still haven't received any email with information regarding the physical. Ill be driving down around 12pm tomorrow. What about you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rec215 View Post
    @PickHead54, I heard there was some fasting involved for the blood work? Still haven't received any email with information regarding the physical. Ill be driving down around 12pm tomorrow. What about you?
    I flew in a couple hours ago, I would call up Teran if you haven't already and ask her why you didn't get an email, the exams are staggered throughout the day, I've got my blood work at 630 am and an X-ray at 1215 so it's definitely something to get straightened out quick

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    My wife and I are both from the midwest originally but that really doesn't matter to use. The biggest thing is that my goals have always been to work in a very large metro fire department that has a high fire load and a very aggressive atmosphere. I basically test the top 50 cities on the east coast I.E. FDNY, Chicago, Indy, etc. The big thing for me is I just want to fight fire and be paid to do it.
    @CFD11 I'm currently working for an upstate sc Fd. This is my second Fd i have been on, my first being in Florida. I'm striving to join a department not for the fire load, or call volume. Although I like high numbers in both areas, I'm dying to be on a department with pride, tradition, and honor. A place where the guys are proud to be a FF. And the tradition of the fire service is evident. I imagine charelston is like this but please enlighten me on if this is true? I plan to be applying there as soon as the next process opens but I want to be sure it's what I hope it is...thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XjonboyX View Post
    @CFD11 I'm currently working for an upstate sc Fd. This is my second Fd i have been on, my first being in Florida. I'm striving to join a department not for the fire load, or call volume. Although I like high numbers in both areas, I'm dying to be on a department with pride, tradition, and honor. A place where the guys are proud to be a FF. And the tradition of the fire service is evident. I imagine charelston is like this but please enlighten me on if this is true? I plan to be applying there as soon as the next process opens but I want to be sure it's what I hope it is...thanks.
    Turn on your pm or pm me.

Thread Information