Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By RFDACM02
  • 2 Post By nameless
  • 1 Post By RFDACM02
  • 1 Post By snowball
  • 3 Post By nameless
  • 1 Post By VinnieB
  • 1 Post By ffbam24

Thread: Going to WTC memorial this weekend. Is there a dress code?

Forum Member

Default Going to WTC memorial this weekend. Is there a dress code?

I looked on their site and didn't see one. I want to wear something FD related, but I feel one of our duty shirts would make me feel underdressed and not showing proper respect.

Any thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB35 View Post
    I looked on their site and didn't see one. I want to wear something FD related, but I feel one of our duty shirts would make me feel underdressed and not showing proper respect.

Any thoughts?
    No FD Duty Shirts. Show respect.. Check with your FD for wearing their uniform away from the job up in NYC. Some don't allow this.

You won't be there on an offical business.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

The weather will be nice, wear a sun dress with some nice open toed sandals.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

A couple of thoughts: I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the memorial last spring. It's a moving tribute to the victims and well worth the time. I personally wouldn't wear any FD clothing for the simple fact this is a tribute to the victims of 9/11 and those Brother's FDNY lost and has nothing to do with my FD or really anyone else's, thus I wouldn't want to distract any attention away from the memorial as many non-emergency service people may ask you questions, something I feel best left to those personnel who are there for that purpose. We saw a few Marines in their dress blues at the memorial and they did end up with a huge number of civilians thanking them and speaking to them, which I felt was appropriate, but in my mind different that out of town FD members.

Dress appropriately like you would for any memorial and conduct yourself in a respectful and professional manner and (somehow saying "enjoy" doesn't seem like the right word) absorb the power and sentiment the memorial offers.
    VinnieB likes this.

Forum Member

Also you will be there with numerous other people that may not be fire department related

Forum Member

Don't wear a FD shirt. It's tacky. The memorial doesn't care you're a fireman and neither does anyone else there.
    VinnieB and Rico3101 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

WOW I am amazed at some of the replies to the dress code question. Unless there is a sign at the gate with restrictions on dress code, wear what you feel is right. For one thing not all fire departments have class A uniforms. For another thing everyone has a right to dress and express there feeling in there own way. I would not wear tacky fire shirts with saying on them of course. I think nice clothes wether a nice fire department issue tee-shirt or duty shirt to class A, B or C's what ever you feel is good for you. I'm sure those that died on 911 looking down upon us will be thankful your there rather then judging you wardrobe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    WOW I am amazed at some of the replies to the dress code question. Unless there is a sign at the gate with restrictions on dress code, wear what you feel is right. For one thing not all fire departments have class A uniforms. For another thing everyone has a right to dress and express there feeling in there own way. I would not wear tacky fire shirts with saying on them of course. I think nice clothes wether a nice fire department issue tee-shirt or duty shirt to class A, B or C's what ever you feel is good for you. I'm sure those that died on 911 looking down upon us will be thankful your there rather then judging you wardrobe.
    I think someone doesn't get it. I'm not saying don't go, because you should. But, let me ask you, what purpose would wearing a FD shirt or uni of any sort serve?
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 08-14-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    slackjawedyokel likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

It would be no differant than a marine going to Arlington National Cemetery in uniform.

MembersZone Subscriber

It would be no differant than a marine going to Arlington National Cemetery in uniform.
    I disagree, but that's OK, no big deal. But, again, what purpose does it serve?

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but I suspect we both understand my point of view, but I am interested in understanding the counter point.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 08-14-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words

Forum Member

I totally agree! Next, after he visits the Ground Zero memorial, he should change into a Civil War uniform to visit Grant's Tomb! Then He could put on a WWII uniform to visit Battery Park.
    It would only be fitting to don a Brooklyn Dodgers uniform when visiting Jackie Robinson's memorial.....
    VinnieB likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

It would be different, but even then unless he was there for an official purpose my opinion is not to wear a uniform. (of course the USMC might think differently I don't know)

Whats the purpose? The memorial and Arlington is there for those that died, its not there for you or me. Wearing a uniform only serves to bring attention to yourself.

So please explain to us why wearing a uniform is so important.
    Last edited by nameless; 08-15-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Forum Member

First....its Marine...not marine. Second, it is very different. A Marine at Arlington is usually there the visit his buddies he served with and chances are who he was with when they died...and he'll have a pocket full of quarters to place upon the stones.

I agree with the others, the WTC site is different. Wearing a uniform or fire shirt there on any day other the for an official service...is kind of like saying "look at me, Im a fireman too." with that said, most guys who worked there dont go unless its for 9/11 services. All the firehouses who lost men hold their own service some place in the area they work.

Whatever he decides, just be sure its squared away and appropriate. Its still a burial site for many of us.
    ffbam24 likes this.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I guess I'd have to say Class A's or at minimum casual dress. Although I'd tend to think of Class A's in conjuction with some sort of specific ceremony or rememberance service. I don't own a suit, but I'd at least wear a nice shirt and a tie. In any case, RIP.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've gone down a total of two times. Once in the Class A's and another in casual dress.
    In either case, many people were milling about in tourist casual attire. Some stand out with FD shirts, which I think is fine. It gives some indication that you are part of this brotherhood and coming to pay your respects, not a "Hey, look at me!" effect.
    Wear what you want. If you feel it would honor those, go full out with the Class A's, but probably not necessary since it won't be for any official ceremony. If a more casual look is more your style, obviously dress appropriately.

**Note for those of you thinking of visiting; if you have some form of firefighter/police/military ID, you DO NOT need to make a reservation. You'll still need to go to the ticket office, but a reservation isn't necessary. At least that was the information I received when I brought my visiting firefighter buddies down in March who had already made a reservation.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 08-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    ATFDFF likes this.

Thread Information