Forum Member

Default Taking a Personal Leave for the academy?

Just wondering if anybody has ever taken a Personal Leave of Absence from their Employers before they entered a fire academy and how that was recieved by the employer?

I'm starting to do research into my eventualities, and also because if my schedule and employer allow it after I finish academy keeping my current job as a part-time job.

OR would it be best to not having a part-time job until I got some years under my belt, everyone I know that is a Firefighter suggests that I keep this job as a part-time job but I'm wondering how that would be recieved by both parties, mainly whatever District I'm in because that is more important than any airline could ever be IMO.

Forum Member

Well the employer needs a body in the slot to do the job

But depending on your current employer, they might let you do it

Yes if you get hired on a dept, you need to foucus on that job while on probation , if you can work a second and it does not interfere or the depthas a policy on second jobs, go for it

MembersZone Subscriber

I can guarantee you that NO fire chief is going to hire a candidate who is not 100% committed to the job. It's a HUGE red flag to be talking about a leave of absence even before starting. Additionally, your chances of completing probation are severely reduced if you are not committed.

Wnating to take a leave of absence in order to keep a part time job is not a good reason. You need to decide where your priorities are.

Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.co
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

My first department, who I had a good relationship with, gave me 30 days leave of absence while I went through academy at my 2nd department. That way if anything didn't work out during that 30 days I could came back to Dept #1 with full seniority, benefits, etc. How a civilian employer would view it, depends. If your FD job doesn't know, don't tell them. I didn't because that leave 1) wasn't requested by me just in case, it was a free going away gift and 2) didn't affect my performance because I wasn't leaving dept #2.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in California you are not permitted to hold two fire department (Civil Service) jobs at one time.

To the previous poster - you were very fortunate your department gave you a leave of absence to leave to go to another department. I see this as a credit to you. You must have worked hard and earned a very good reputation and they must have really liked you!
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

I take the op is asking about a non fire department job he is currently working at now

MembersZone Subscriber

That's what I'm gathering from the post.
    On the Dept to Dept thing:
    We had a guy who was fulltime at Dept A and took a LOA from there to work at our Dept B to see how he liked it I guess
    He went back.
    Which overall, is pretty frakking annoying! He prevented someone else from getting the job so he could have tryouts with us.

ORD, I'm guessing you're in the Chicago area?
    There is so much more to getting on the job than just "getting on the job". It's an entirely different culture that you will need to assimilate to. Firehouse functions, union, being the "johnnie" at everthing where you'll be the first one expected to step up. That includes working for senior guys (and everyone is senior to you). Having any kind of fixed or even flexible schedule is going to be difficult. It's not impossible, but it certainly isn't easy.

If your current employer is willing and able to give you a LOA and then continue you part time, then there should be an understanding that the fire department is now your NUMBER ONE JOB. Not the other way around. If that employer can make it through your one year probation without you, then you'll have a little more leeway.

Good luck!

Thread Information