Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By FWDbuff
  • 1 Post By pipeman1822
  • 1 Post By BoxAlarm187

Thread: Live in firedepartments in PG county

Default Live in firedepartments in PG county

Hello gentlemen, my name is Alex. I wanted to know what I need to do to get on a live in fire department in PG county MD. My mom works at college park so I'm trying to transfer there for the free tuition. I've also never been a firefighter before. I'm 21 if anyone was curious. No criminal record at all either and some college credits.

I read somewhere the county in general requires EMT and FF1. Should I take these with my local department? (I live in howard county) or try and take them with a PG department?

Also I'd love information on the different departments. I've heard alot about Kentland 33 being real highspeed, but I also heard they don't have an ambulance. I want to go to PA school or Med school so I really want a strong EMS experience at whatever department I matriculate to. Id love to hear some opinions on the different departments. I want one with lots of variety, EMS and fire and everything in between. I want to learn as much as I can.

Also how does a resident's schedule look like? I have to work to pay for my car and things so I always need to hold a job. Can a resident truly have enough time to work a part time job, take full classes, and have enough time to study to get good grades while being a good firefighter?

Sorry for writing this novel of a post. I am very excited/curious and any information would be great.

Kentland is a good department and I'm almost positive they run an EMS rig through the county. Pretty much any department in PG County is going to be high speed and aggressive, that's the rep that area has, but they are some of the best in the country at what they do. Riverdale, Hyattsville, Glenn Dale and Bladensburg are also good departments. Training wise, I'm not sure exact requirements down there so I'm hoping someone from PG County can chime in here and help out with that part. Volunteer time wise, I know at Kentland they require you to put so many hours in a week to be a live in, and you basically work out times with your studies/job/classes/etc by talking to an officer on what times you are able to be on the board to run calls. If no one on here is able to fully answer all of your questions your best bet would be to actually contact some of the departments down there and talk to them, they will be able to answer your questions the best. Good luck with everything.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Training is based from the State of Maryland, University of Maryland, for the entire state. If you are certified in Howie is work for PG or Monty or Balti.County as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAvenue View Post
    I wanted to know what I need to do to get on a live in fire department in PG county MD.
    Contact the Topeka, Ks. Fire Department at 785-368-4000.
    ATFDFF and BigGriffC12 like this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanK63 View Post
    Kentland is a good department and I'm almost positive they run an EMS rig through the county. Pretty much any department in PG County is going to be high speed and aggressive, that's the rep that area has, but they are some of the best in the country at what they do. Riverdale, Hyattsville, Glenn Dale and Bladensburg are also good departments. Training wise, I'm not sure exact requirements down there so I'm hoping someone from PG County can chime in here and help out with that part. Volunteer time wise, I know at Kentland they require you to put so many hours in a week to be a live in, and you basically work out times with your studies/job/classes/etc by talking to an officer on what times you are able to be on the board to run calls. If no one on here is able to fully answer all of your questions your best bet would be to actually contact some of the departments down there and talk to them, they will be able to answer your questions the best. Good luck with everything.

Kentland doesn't have an ambulance at 33. Only at 46 which is mostly career. I wouldn't recommend Kentland for what he wants. That's more of a firefighting house that will not focus on EMS. There are other urban firefighting houses with ambulances though that treat those who will ride it like kings and queens because it gets them off of it.

EMS is an extremely abused system in the DC area with DC and PG being the worst. Most people can't stand riding the ambulance. I usually had being at work when I'm on it but that's what I'm paid to do some times in DC.
    RyanK63 likes this.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    Kentland doesn't have an ambulance at 33.
    Not stirring the pot, but the county still staffs A-339...although I doubt you'll ever find a Kentland volunteer fireman riding it.
    RyanK63 likes this.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

As a volunteer in PG County, I can not attest to every station in the county. However, the general requirements to be a live in member are the following: A full time student at a local college such as the University of Maryland or being employed full time. There are no age limitations (that I am aware of). As for the training if you already have Maryland FFI and EMT then generally it will/can transfer within the state of Maryland.

As a resident of the county, I have a full time job and I am a part time student when time and funds permit. It's not easy but it can be done as long as you manage your time.

Kentland (Station 33) does not staff the county ambulance so if you're looking for alot of EMS experience, I would suggest another station such as College Park (station 12), Glenn Dale (station 18) or Hyattsville (station 1) which runs both volunteer BLS and ALS units.

Hope this helps.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Alex??..............

Have you found anything yet??....... Any Weekday after about 7pm and anytime on weekends, Call 301-805-2400. Tell whoever answers that you would like to get information on Volunteering. Look up our website at www.GDVFD18.com for info, or just drive on down, if you are in Howierd County, you're close. As someone else has said, if you have any training, it will transfer with you..... Good Luck...
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

What about someone living out of state? I am currently living in Alabama and work for a career dept. I want to move up that way to work, I was thinking about the live in program to get up there and start working. Any suggestions or potential problems?

Forum Member

You wanting to quit your current career job, and move in as a live-in while just working a normal job while working on a career gig in that area? hwoods can help you out the most with any of your questions. If you don't mind leave me an email or some way I can message you. I can't message you through here. I can share some info that may help you out a little.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea that about sums up what I am considering, My Email is Bricketts09@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Thread Information