Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Same original info from your application.

Have you taken/passed the cpat yet?

Forum Member

Ok, cool. I took the cpat on Thursday and completed it in a little under 8 minutes. I assume you completed it as well?

Forum Member

Good and yes. As it stands right now, if you pass the cpat you are essentially in. Assuming nothing negative turns up during your background test. Medical exam will be next step with a class "hopefully" in April or May and a second class from the list sometime over the summer.

Forum Member

That's good news. I appreciate the info, thanks.

Forum Member

It's been awhile since I got back on the boards. I took CPAT on January 25th and passed with something like an 8:45. Haven't heard of any of my references being contacted yet but I will ask. Any clue if having EMT or FF Certs help any? I would think they might but wasn't sure if they carried much weight. Also, any clue about the Paramedic status of the class? I keep hearing different things.

Forum Member

If you passed the CPAT, you should be good. When they pull you from the list after that (for which class) may depend on your written test score and the rest of your application. But, the general consensus is that those that pass the CPAT will continue on. I'm sure there will be a few that don't get picked up for a class now or down the road, but as a rule, if you passed the CPAT, you're good.
    As of now you wont have to be a medic but the city reserves the right to tell you that you have to be down the road should the face a medic shortage.

Forum Member

April class is not going. Classes will be June 2013 and October 2013.

Forum Member

Any word on why they're holding off on the April academy?

Forum Member

Thanks for all of the info. I did hear from one of my supervisors that they called him about my employment.

Forum Member

Not sure if the April class ever was set in stone. I was told about it last year sometime before the application process was even opened up. But, the June and October classes are a go I found out today.

Background information is begin pulled now for the first group and next thing will be the medical/physical exam, which will more than likely be the last part of April/first part of May. Could be before that but that's the likely timeframe.

Forum Member

Good sign.

CW731, have any of your people employers been contacted?

Forum Member

Does anyone know what the class sizes are? Anyone have their personnal refferences contacted yet?

Forum Member

TNFFP,

I haven't had any of my references get contacted so far, but I've fallen toward the end of most things so far because my last name starts with W, so we'll see this week. Always a possibility that I haven't made the first band either, so I guess we'll just wait to find out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CW731 View Post
    TNFFP,

I haven't had any of my references get contacted so far, but I've fallen toward the end of most things so far because my last name starts with W, so we'll see this week. Always a possibility that I haven't made the first band either, so I guess we'll just wait to find out.
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out... It almost sounds like if you passed the CPAT during the first timed practice that they are already contacting references. I believe you said you passed during the second timed practice, right? Maybe there's a correlation there, not sure. Trying to find out. The biggest thing is that you passed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by todd528 View Post
    Does anyone know what the class sizes are? Anyone have their personnal refferences contacted yet?
    Judging by previous classes, around 40 would be a safe bet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFFP View Post
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out... It almost sounds like if you passed the CPAT during the first timed practice that they are already contacting references. I believe you said you passed during the second timed practice, right? Maybe there's a correlation there, not sure. Trying to find out. The biggest thing is that you passed.
    Yeah, I went on the second timed practice so you might be right. I haven't heard anything since I was out there last. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. When I went through, one of the Lt's said they had about 170 pass so far and they had been hoping for 200 to make it to the background.

Forum Member

Those numbers seem believable. Initially they say 60-70% do not pass the CPAT. And then of the ones that pass 40-50% do not pass the background. So if they get 200 (which they may not get to), the 50% would be a pool of 100 candidates for 2-3 classes in the next year (June-13, Oct-13 for sure). But two classes of 35-45 out of that pool sounds reasonable and consistent with what has been done in the past.

Forum Member

My references were called a few weeks ago. I think the last week of February.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmhinkle View Post
    My references were called a few weeks ago. I think the last week of February.
    Personal references or current/previous employers.

Forum Member

Have you heard anything from the city personally?

Thread Information