Forum Member

Good sign.

CW731, have any of your people employers been contacted?

Forum Member

Does anyone know what the class sizes are? Anyone have their personnal refferences contacted yet?

Forum Member

TNFFP,

I haven't had any of my references get contacted so far, but I've fallen toward the end of most things so far because my last name starts with W, so we'll see this week. Always a possibility that I haven't made the first band either, so I guess we'll just wait to find out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CW731 View Post
    TNFFP,

I haven't had any of my references get contacted so far, but I've fallen toward the end of most things so far because my last name starts with W, so we'll see this week. Always a possibility that I haven't made the first band either, so I guess we'll just wait to find out.
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out... It almost sounds like if you passed the CPAT during the first timed practice that they are already contacting references. I believe you said you passed during the second timed practice, right? Maybe there's a correlation there, not sure. Trying to find out. The biggest thing is that you passed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by todd528 View Post
    Does anyone know what the class sizes are? Anyone have their personnal refferences contacted yet?
    Judging by previous classes, around 40 would be a safe bet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFFP View Post
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out... It almost sounds like if you passed the CPAT during the first timed practice that they are already contacting references. I believe you said you passed during the second timed practice, right? Maybe there's a correlation there, not sure. Trying to find out. The biggest thing is that you passed.
    Yeah, I went on the second timed practice so you might be right. I haven't heard anything since I was out there last. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something. When I went through, one of the Lt's said they had about 170 pass so far and they had been hoping for 200 to make it to the background.

Forum Member

Those numbers seem believable. Initially they say 60-70% do not pass the CPAT. And then of the ones that pass 40-50% do not pass the background. So if they get 200 (which they may not get to), the 50% would be a pool of 100 candidates for 2-3 classes in the next year (June-13, Oct-13 for sure). But two classes of 35-45 out of that pool sounds reasonable and consistent with what has been done in the past.

Forum Member

My references were called a few weeks ago. I think the last week of February.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmhinkle View Post
    My references were called a few weeks ago. I think the last week of February.
    Personal references or current/previous employers.

Forum Member

Have you heard anything from the city personally?

Forum Member

It actually might have only been current employers but I'm pretty sure my references were contacted also. I can't remember if a few of my supervisors were listed as references or contacts for employment. I will have to go back and look at which ones I used for each. I had at least 3 people called that I know of.
    Last edited by rmhinkle; 03-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by todd528 View Post
    Have you heard anything from the city personally?
    I have not heard anything from the city since CPAT.

Forum Member

Check and see. I'd be interested. As of now, it should've just been employers that were contacted with personal references upcoming with the remainder of the background information.

Forum Member

I still haven't heard anything from the city. My references all said they still haven't been contacted.

Forum Member

I recieved a letter from the city saying I made it to the next step and have been placed on an eligible register for consideration as openings occur.

Forum Member

I recieved a letter from the city saying I made it to the next step and have been placed on an eligible register for consideration as openings occur.
    Should just be awaiting the medical portion now. And that should be about a month out from the start of the class. So, I would venture to guess around the first of May for the physical exam. Congrats!

Are you in Oxford?
    Last edited by TNFFP; 03-17-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CW731 View Post
    I still haven't heard anything from the city. My references all said they still haven't been contacted.
    I don't think personal references are being contacted now. Just employers and previous employers. Check with them if you still have any communication with those jobs you listed.

Forum Member

I got a letter stating that I was moving on as well. Hoping it keeps moving along like this. pretty stoked. Is there anything after the physical exam?

Forum Member

Just some small admin things but at that point, if you pass the medical/physical exam, the only thing left is starting the academy.

Look for medical exams to be early May and class mid June if no more holdups.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFFP View Post
    Should just be awaiting the medical portion now. And that should be about a month out from the start of the class. So, I would venture to guess around the first of May for the physical exam. Congrats!

Are you in Oxford?
    Thanks, and yes a I am in Oxford. I'm from Jackson, MS but went to Ole Miss to play football and once I graduated I stayed in Oxford. I appreciate all of the info you have given us. I'm assuming you are a FF/Paramedic. Any areas you specialize in?

Forum Member

I recieed a letter from the city saying I made it to the next step and have been placed on an eligible register for consideration as openings occur.
    I received a letter as well this past Saturday.....Im currently living in Olive Branch so hopefully thats means we'll at the top of the list

Forum Member

Thanks, and yes a I am in Oxford. I'm from Jackson, MS but went to Ole Miss to play football and once I graduated I stayed in Oxford. I appreciate all of the info you have given us. I'm assuming you are a FF/Paramedic. Any areas you specialize in?
    No problem. It's a process but I tend to get some solid information so I like to share when I think it will help others.

And as far as specializing, I've been doing this for 10 years now, so I honestly thing being well-rounding in multiple areas is better than strong in one area and not so strong in another. You need all facets and you tend to draw from all experiences when needed. Especially in places like Memphis, just wait and see!

It sounds like everyone is on the right track.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wlt30 View Post
    I received a letter as well this past Saturday.....Im currently living in Olive Branch so hopefully thats means we'll at the top of the list
    Should be in the first group up. I heard this week "at least 50" was the number they were looking to put in June's class.

It's a waiting game but sounds like you are on track.

Forum Member

If it wasn't for this site.....I wouldn't have been able to get to this point....When we started the process....I was living in an apartment... now I live in a home so my address changed and they sent my cpat letter to my old address....lucky I had been staying up to date with the process through this site so when guys started saying that they received their cpat letter...I called Memphis HR and they sent mine to my old address....Thankfully HR emailed me the letter and I was able to continue on....

Forum Member

Did your letter say you were moving to a medical portion or that you had been placed on the eligibility list? Just trying to find out if there were a couple different letters out there.

Thread Information