+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456
    Forum Member

If you do receive a call today, congrats!

Despite all of the public turmoil surrounding budgets and city council, MFD is still one of the premiere departments in the country and you are getting a hue opportunity.

Don't be scared off by threats and posturing of staffing reduction and other rumors. The absolute BEST thing you can do is take this job, learn the hell out of this job, and GET INVOLVED with the very active IAFF Local. I cannot stress this enough.

Forum Member

I got a call this morning about 9:30 central time! Several other guys i've been in contact with did as well. We all have processing on the 6th and 7th that will be final paperwork, intro to benefits, etc. The class starts on the 17th. Congratulations to anyone else that got a call as well!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1gnanney View Post
    I got a call this morning about 9:30 central time! Several other guys i've been in contact with did as well. We all have processing on the 6th and 7th that will be final paperwork, intro to benefits, etc. The class starts on the 17th. Congratulations to anyone else that got a call as well!
    Congrats! That's pretty exciting. Wish y'all the best of luck and hopefully I get that opportunity in one of the later classes. If anything I would think if any cuts are going to be made they will be made through attrition. With a department the size of Memphis there are a lot of retirees every year and positions that need to be filled.

Forum Member

Anyone have any updates on the class, just curious how the process went? Also, I see another story now from WREG talking about the impact of job losses on the department. Do you believe this is more of a political push "scare tactic" about saying they will lay off if this goes through or will they just let attrition take those positions over time? This is a very serious thing for me to consider if I get the opportunity to continue in the process. I really don't see them starting another class though if they are going to do layoffs.

Forum Member

I guess everyone bailed on this thread but if not does anyone have any more info? Just heard through the grapevine that the October class has been canceled. I'm afraid my shot at the job is dwindling. The cuts and attrition plan seem to have really dropped the hammer on making any more progress. For any of those in the class, how is it going?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456

Thread Information