Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Memphis TN Fire Hiring 2012

City of Memphis TN Fire is accepting apps until August 16.

Why? They just shut down 4 or 5 truck companies, a rescue company.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Any memphis firefighters know the city current hiring situation.

I checked the City of Memphis web site, human resourses, jobs listed, None listed for the MFD.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Cap it is odd, but I found it under Discover Employment Opportunities. It comes up if you specifically type in "firerecruit" as one word. I think you fill out an extensive online application, then after it is reviewed there are a number of documents you have to turn in, in person.

MembersZone Subscriber

can't seem to locate the posting

MembersZone Subscriber

I would steer clear of MFD. Capt. is correct, they just closed multiple companies and are trying to not layoff anyone through attrition. However, in the upcoming budget years (the Memphis FY12-13 began July 1), I would imagine that they will more than likely have to lay off members. Memphis is a Detroit in the making. People are flooding out of Memphis proper and if they continue to mess with the suburban cities and require those people to attend Memphis city schools, it will be even worse. Memphis is going to get terribly worse (sadly) before it gets better. Just my opinion. Its a good job, but I would be scared to be a new guy on the job there. You'll probably be the 1st to be cut.

Forum Member

Memphis is hiring and applications closed on August 16th. They are starting a class from the 2009 list in October and classes will be put through from this new list being assembled now with the first class slated to be around May/June of 2013.

Forum Member

Don't be deceived...it's not all doom and gloom like most would want you to believe--despite what you may hear or want to be true.

Forum Member

There are great rope rescue technicians for hiring who can save your life keeping their life on risk. Rope rescue teams helps you a lot in rescuing your life whenever needed.

Forum Member

Any word how many people they may hire for the may/june class. I know they only hire every few years just trying to see if its worth the flight to TN. thanks for any info

Forum Member

Thumbs down

They usually put about 40 people through in a class and the list is good for three years. They have hired three classes off the 09 list with another scheduled for October. However i've heard of guys getting job offers five years after testing.

Forum Member

Couple questions for you guys that know info bout memphis. What is memphis hiring process like written, physical, etc? Does memphis hire locals over out of towners? Also on the application it says recruit may or may not be selected to be medic any info on that. I called hr but havent recieved a call back. Thanks

Forum Member

Application then written exam. From the written exam and application review, a list is formulated. This is all done by a 3rd party "Test Administrator." The list is given to HR. When the FD is ready to hire, they requisition x-amount of positions and HR begins pulling candidates from the list above to begin the next phases (CPAT, medical screening, background checks).

Everyone will take the written. Not everyone will proceed with the CPAT, Medical and background. However, more than the requisitioned number of candidates will be pulled to complete the CPAT/Med/BG in anticipation of some failing any one part of that process. (i.e., if there will be 40 hired, HR may pull 60 to complete the entire process from the list to be able to field a class of 40 when it's all said and done).

Locals vs out of towners, there really is no preference. The only stipulation is that you will have to live in the city limits once hired--they are strict on this and check often.

"May be required to be a medic...." simply means that for the last few classes, recruits were required to ALL become paramedics within 3.5 years. If you didn't, you were terminated. This has been "mildly" relaxed as the number of paramedics has reached the point that the department is comfortable with, so it's not a "requirement," per se, of this applicant list. However, they are still reserving the right to, if in 5 years paramedics are needed again, say that you will now be required to become a paramedic. It's basically a clause they included in case they need more medics in the future but not more "bodies." Personally, I don't see this happening this way, because there are not people on the job that are just letting their paramedic license go and staying on the job. Typically when a "medic" position is lost, it is because a person leaves. So, when this happens, bodies are needed to fill seats too, as well as paramedics. So, in this scenario, it would make more sense to hire new medics again, as Memphis has done often in the past.
    Last edited by TNFFP; 08-28-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Forum Member

Has anyone been heard anything on the process/dates now that the application process is closed?

Forum Member

Nope, I received an email with a couple different papers i had to sign and get notarized but that is because I am applying from out of state.

Forum Member

i havent heard anything. i mailed ny documents that the email stated to send in. anyone coming from tx that applied

Forum Member

Btwn 3,000 - 3,500 applications received. HR held the process open longer to allow for more applicants-which looks like they accomplished.

Letters for the written exam notification should go out next week and the exam will be mid November.

Class of 35-40 will be pulled from this list for a May/June 2013 academy class.
    Last edited by TNFFP; 09-27-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Forum Member

Exam notification letters are out.

MembersZone Subscriber

So what does the CPAT consist of this year? Is it like the ones
    In the past or the real CPAT? Do I need to go ahead and seek repriocity
    For my Paramedic or wait to see I I even get that far. I'm a paramedic
    And originally from there just moved away 6 years ago looking to come back.

Thread Information