Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FyredUp

Thread: Triple flat hose load videos/articles

Forum Member

Default Triple flat hose load videos/articles

Hey guys and gals, i am looking for some good tutorial videos on how to rack and deploy a triple flat crosslay. I browsed Youtube briefly and didnt see anything that was too helpful, but im sure i didnt see them all.

I'm also interested in any other hose loads that you have used with success besides a minuteman, which is what we currently use.

Thanks!

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I hope you take this in the good natured humor that it is intended because hose loads have come up a bajillion times here. So here goes!

OH MY GOD!! That hose load just DOESN'T WORK AT ALL.

Now, on a serious note have you looked on the IFSTA CD that comes with the Essentials book? I will look for mine and take a peek, but if I remember right there is a series of pitures showing how to load it and deploy it.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

LOL, lovin' the humor FyredUp... But in my opinion, the triple-load pays out fairly well (when loaded properly). One of our County districts uses the triple-load on their engines. When that station Lou presented it to us, we all thought he were smoking crack. I personally am not a fan, as I'm used to minute-man loads, so call that ignorance on my part. The hose lays out nicely though and once ya get it figured out on how to load it, it's actually pretty easy and efficient. There's a cool video on Youtube taht shows deployment of a triple-load. Lemme try and find it and i'll link it here. And if I get a chance, i'll swing by the station that uses the triple-load and get some pics for ya.

Rico3101,

I understand that there are FFs that love the triple fold but if I may be brutally honest, I don't like it. It is the only hoseload that people have to spend additional time to "figure out how to load", AND learn how to properly deploy. I can in less than 5 minutes teach someone how to load either the flat load or Minute man load and then have them do it. Once it is loaded in less than 5 minutes I can have them deploying it.

I willadmit that if you are coming straight off the hosebed with a triple fold, and there is enough room in a straight line to unload the bed, it has all the hose out and laid out in a nice "S" ready to charge. But if you have to turn right away as you are unloading it it becomes much more difficult. I used to be on a POC FD that used the triple fold and how I would advance it was to grab the hoseload at the second fold and pull that and the nozzle section onto my shoulder as I walked away from the engine. That seemed to alleviate some of the issues with having to turn as I had the bulk of the load on my shoulder.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I hope you take this in the good natured humor that it is intended because hose loads have come up a bajillion times here. So here goes!

OH MY GOD!! That hose load just DOESN'T WORK AT ALL.

Now, on a serious note have you looked on the IFSTA CD that comes with the Essentials book? I will look for mine and take a peek, but if I remember right there is a series of pitures showing how to load it and deploy it.
    The CD that came with my book was broken but im sure i can locate another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico3101 View Post
    LOL, lovin' the humor FyredUp... But in my opinion, the triple-load pays out fairly well (when loaded properly). One of our County districts uses the triple-load on their engines. When that station Lou presented it to us, we all thought he were smoking crack. I personally am not a fan, as I'm used to minute-man loads, so call that ignorance on my part. The hose lays out nicely though and once ya get it figured out on how to load it, it's actually pretty easy and efficient. There's a cool video on Youtube taht shows deployment of a triple-load. Lemme try and find it and i'll link it here. And if I get a chance, i'll swing by the station that uses the triple-load and get some pics for ya.
    That would be awesome, thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Rico3101,

I understand that there are FFs that love the triple fold but if I may be brutally honest, I don't like it. It is the only hoseload that people have to spend additional time to "figure out how to load", AND learn how to properly deploy. I can in less than 5 minutes teach someone how to load either the flat load or Minute man load and then have them do it. Once it is loaded in less than 5 minutes I can have them deploying it.

I willadmit that if you are coming straight off the hosebed with a triple fold, and there is enough room in a straight line to unload the bed, it has all the hose out and laid out in a nice "S" ready to charge. But if you have to turn right away as you are unloading it it becomes much more difficult. I used to be on a POC FD that used the triple fold and how I would advance it was to grab the hoseload at the second fold and pull that and the nozzle section onto my shoulder as I walked away from the engine. That seemed to alleviate some of the issues with having to turn as I had the bulk of the load on my shoulder.
    This explains our experience with the Triple Layer to a "T". I will add that ours were in crosslay beds and it would be far less an issue off the rear where you should have no issue being able to clear the whole bed before turning. But we found that unless it was a direct shot to the door with dragging 66 ft of hose around obstacles and corners is not nearly as easy as a shoulderable or short drag load.

We run speedlay beds (which limits the hose loads we can use to begin with) and we love the triple layer. Once it is figured out you can load it with two people just about as quick as a flat or minute man load. With our response district, which should be a major concern when considering hose loads, it works great.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    We run speedlay beds (which limits the hose loads we can use to begin with) and we love the triple layer. Once it is figured out you can load it with two people just about as quick as a flat or minute man load. With our response district, which should be a major concern when considering hose loads, it works great.
    And I won't try to change your mind, because in reality in YOUR district it doesn't matter what I think of the triple fold as long as it works for you.

I would however love to see you with 2 guys load that as fast as we can load a flat load with 2 guys!
    CAFS MAN likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

I would however love to see you with 2 guys load that as fast as we can load a flat load with 2 guys!
    I'll see you and raise you: as I would however love to see you with 2 guys load that flat lay as fast as we can load a donut load with 2 guys!

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I'll see you and raise you: as I would however love to see you with 2 guys load that flat lay as fast as we can load a donut load with 2 guys!
    I would agree 100% you could beat me with the donut roll load, especially if you have hose pre-rolled in donuts on the rack. But as with the triple fold, I would still take my flat load over the donut load.
    Maybe it's not too late

AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Thank you! That was exactly what i was looking for.

Thread Information