Like Tree7Likes

Thread: San Antonio 2012

Forum Member

Does anyone know how long the exam is. The study guide says 2.5 hours and the letter says be prepared to stay 4 hours???

Forum Member

Well I took the SA test today and it was a huge crowd. This was my first firefighter test so I wasn't expecting it be easy but some questions threw me off. Good luck to everyone that took it!

Forum Member

Finished the test earlier today, How does everyone think they did?

Forum Member

The accident re-construction part threw me off. Atleast that's what I thought it was. LoL

Forum Member

I feel good about this one. I approached the personality portion differently this time so I will see how it works out. I am dreading the 3-4 weeks of waiting. Last year scores were delayed, hopefully they are not delayed this year.

Forum Member

how long was the process last year if you moved on? how many do they usually take to the CPAT? I heard they are looking for 50 so i was thinking the cut off would probably be around 150, just speculating

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by achinca1985 View Post
    how long was the process last year if you moved on? how many do they usually take to the CPAT? I heard they are looking for 50 so i was thinking the cut off would probably be around 150, just speculating
    2010 had a cut off of 84 and 2011 had a cut off of 85. That was about the top 300-500 scores. If the scores are anything close to what Austinís were this year, I expect the cutoff to closer to 90. They stated they would have the results posted in 3-4 weeks. As for the entire process, (applying to starting the academy), I would say 6 months to a year. For reference, Austin 2012 took applications in April, tested in May, interviewed in July. August thru September, they did the CPAT, medical, and psychological exams. Just yesterday they posted the final list. I believe the first class starts in Jan.
    fire49 likes this.

Forum Member

San Antonio process takes longer than most. I think its because they test really early compared to when they need the class to start. So just because they are testing now, they probably dont need these recruits until about a year from now.

I went through the entire process (got kicked out on chief's review), and it took 11 months. Class started 13 months after the test.

Forum Member

thanks for the info. most of the info i saw was from online but once i got to the testing site i noticed the website was a liitle off. So is there an interview portion? From what I read it sounds like they just review your background and see how well you tested.

Forum Member

No interview, but you got: (from the website)

1. Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
    2. Polygraph
    3. Background investigation
    4. Behavioral Personal Assessment
    5. Medical and Psychological Evaluation

Forum Member

yeah thats what i got. Ive been through other processes before and they always had an interview. So wasn't sure if that was right or not. What do they do for the behavioral assessment?

Forum Member

You watch a bunch of short fire department related 1-5 min videos, and you select the best "what would you do" answer. No fire experience needed. Life experience and common sense will get you through it. Dont stress over that step.

Also if you move on, DO NOT BE LATE or will be eliminated. and FOLLOW the suggested dress code or you will get pointed out to everyone.

Forum Member

Thanks again for the info. I have done other FD tests, interviews and polys but never had to do something like that but that wont be for awhile it sounds like, if i do make it. Best of luck to you guys

Forum Member

Was the San Antonio exam similar to the Austin exam from this past May?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Txstate86 View Post
    Was the San Antonio exam similar to the Austin exam from this past May?
    Both cities use the same vendor (I/O solutions). The tests are similar, but have different test sections.

Forum Member

Okay there was a lot of reading for the San Antonio test. Which sections are different for Austin, is there math and mechanical questions like the study guides they posted?

Forum Member

Okay everyone, the scores are now posted on the San Antonio web page. Congrats to those that did well!

Forum Member

Well, did anyone think they scored high enough? Brockrocks What did you think you did wrong on the Chiefs interview? If you don't want to share that is okay. Congrats to everyone who did well.

Forum Member

Looks like I'm on to the next step. I'll see how it goes from there on.

Forum Member

Its actually a chief's review. There are no interviews at all in San Antonio.

Ive posted it on here before. Basically I gave two different answers about drug use. It was an honest mistake, but a mistake that cost me the job. I wasn't trying to lie about it (it was only one time I attempted to smoke marijuana). I said "no drug use" and then 6 months later said "1 time". In my mind, I dont think I smoked it, but I decided to own it a little too late.

dont ever change your answers!

Forum Member

Thanks Brockrocks, good advice. At least your drug use is minimal.

Forum Member

This thread is really quiet...anyone send in confirmation for workshop and orientation yet?

Forum Member

I did, heading over on the 10th, and 2/11 for the workshop.

Forum Member

I did as well.

Forum Member

I made it to the next step and confirmed that I will be there. Since I live out of town they told me to come to the one on Jan 14 so I can knock both of them out in one trip. Judging by how the practice sessions go until March I would say the real CPAT probably wont be til april or May

Thread Information