Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Z train View Post
    hey guys, im looking for a second opinion i went to my local fire academy and got my FF! and FF2 and im going for my emt. I was thinking is paramedic even worth going for if i want to work for a big city like chicago, detroit, tampa, boston, etc? A buddy of mine got a job in SC and they hired him for ff/medic and he is allowed to go on med runs only, idnt want to be that guy. please help
    I would get your EMT first and do that for a while. But the funny thing is, you may just find out you like the EMS part of the job. When I joined the Air Force I had no inkling of doing anything medical, but that's what I ended up with and I found out that I really liked it. Now I'm in school for my medic and I must say that it's been so great to learn such cool stuff. Yes it is challenging (very challenging), but every bit worth it if you do it for the right reasons. Either way though, I'll tell you what my fire academy instructor told me: if you really wanna be a firefighter, learn to love EMS because it is a HUGE part of the job.

Forum Member

Thanks guys for all the imput. It really helps out.

Well here in VA my part specifically being a paramedic as one chief told me "is like being a hen that ****s golden eggs".

I got all my fire certs and volunteered then I got my EMT. I liked it but I did not get the thrill and excitement that I got with being on the engine. Then on the advice of everyone in the local fire/ems circles I enrolled in a paramedic program. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it the more skills and the more in depth treatments I learned the more I liked it.

Now I only have 4 more long months before I test. So even though I started medic without being 100% sure I turned out loving it.

Forum Member

I hope if i end up getting a p card my fire science degree will keep me on the rig most of the time.
    Oh that is just PRECIOUS.

Newsflash: nobody gives a crap about your degree, because you'd be going through their fire academy no matter what- especially in the bigger cities. You could have PhD in Fire Science and 10 years on another department, and it wouldn't change your assignment one way or the other. They'll put you where they want you.

Put me down as +1 for not being a Paramedic just to get a job, and then hating the job because you're not on the big red truck. Would you want a guy like that taking care of you?

Forum Member

emt 161 ur a total dousch bag. by the way.

Forum Member

How should i go about transfering my michigan ff certs to nfpa. Do i have to take a test to get certified in other states? Or go through there academy. Again

Forum Member

emt 161 ur a total dousch bag. by the way.
    Truth hurts, sweetheart. By the way.

Forum Member

IMO, every new FF in every academy in the country should be have their Paramedic patch. If you do not like EMS, you need to find a different job. 70-85% of the job is EMS nowadays. Any department that is not searching for ways to increase their market share of the EMS side of things is a dinosaur, soon to be extinct. I'm not saying it will happen in our careers, but the next generation for sure. It is getting more and more difficult to justify the huge expenditures that FD's require, when the Normal Rockwell days of FFing are long since gone. Find a progressive department that recognizes the need to stay current with the demands of the city they are protecting.

Ask yourself, why do you want to be a FF. If anywhere in your answer you mentioned 'helping people', you will help a lot more people, and save a lot more lives, if you have your Paramedic training.

Forum Member

And Z, the other dude is correct, your AA will not make squat difference as to which seat you will be assigned to day in and day out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most every Fire Dept around the Chicagoland area requires a paramedic license to apply. Chicago Fire being the exception since they open two seperate lists for hiring- one for FS&R and one for EMS. If you happen to have your paramedic license you can obviously place your name on both lists thus doubling your chances of getting on the Dept.
    If your offered the FF (FS&R) position and have a paramedic license, the Dept will use you as a medic on an ALS rig (Engine or Truck). You will not be on an amb, but you will do EMS runs as that is the majority of calls for service now.
    If you are offered the FPM (EMS) position you will be on the amb every shift as that is what they fired you for. You can "cross-over" to the FS&R side and get off of the amb but there are a host of variables that go into "crossing".
    As far as any education or certs (outside of paramedic) that you may have, the Chicago Fire Department will take copies of your degree(s) and certs and place them in your employment file. There are no extra points given and no preference in placement on the "processing" list. Also, you will have to attend the Chicago Fire Academy no matter what certs you have or how long you have worked in the same capacity anywhere else.
    Hoep this helps you with your decisions.

Thread Information