Forum Member

Default firefighter/paramedic?

hey guys, im looking for a second opinion i went to my local fire academy and got my FF! and FF2 and im going for my emt. I was thinking is paramedic even worth going for if i want to work for a big city like chicago, detroit, tampa, boston, etc? A buddy of mine got a job in SC and they hired him for ff/medic and he is allowed to go on med runs only, idnt want to be that guy. please help

Forum Member

Where do you want to work? Chicago, Boston, and Tampa are all over the place. Narrow your search down to some departments in one area and ask them if they hire dual function FF/PMs. General rule: If you don't want to work as a paramedic then don't become one, there are enough crappy paramedics out there that hate their job. If you don't want to run any medical calls look for departments that do not do them (pretty narrow list) or concentrate on departments that do not have ambulances (generally smaller cities than what you described)

Forum Member

Ya. I want to big in a bigger city not a smaller one. Ill do it f i have to. I just dont want to be waiting to be employed forever yet i dnt want to be doing strictly med calls

Forum Member

Its a catch 22. You have a much greater chance of getting hired with your P card, but you will most likely be spending more time on an ambulance than an engine if you do that.

If you dont want to be a medic i wouldnt go to school for it because thats what you will probably be spending most of your time doing.

Forum Member

If you are not interested much in EMS do NOT become a paramedic. The amount of responsibility/liability that comes with being a paramedic is ten fold that of an EMT and if you are not good at it, someone will die, and you will get sued. These things are bad. As far as running only medical calls vs fire calls it really depends where you are. I'm in the northwest and many of the bigger cities around here have a medic on ever engine/truck and have no ambulances. In fact, there are very few transporting departments where I live because it's all private ambulance. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but being a medic will greatly increase your chances and not necessarily confine you to to an ambulance. I suggest getting your EMT and see how you like EMS before deciding.

Forum Member

Thanks alot guys. If it means anything im also working towards an associated degree in fire science. You think that can help any. ? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Z train View Post
    hey guys, im looking for a second opinion i went to my local fire academy and got my FF! and FF2 and im going for my emt. I was thinking is paramedic even worth going for if i want to work for a big city like chicago, detroit, tampa, boston, etc? A buddy of mine got a job in SC and they hired him for ff/medic and he is allowed to go on med runs only, idnt want to be that guy. please help
    Hate to be the guy who posts some bad news but your list is way out there. Chicago, ok how long has their current list been in limbo? 6 + years?? Good luck. Detroit, better plan on moving to and working for the city before you can work there, and plus they just laid off guys, again, good luck. Tampa, I'm assuming Florida, better plan to go through the fire academy there or being a Florida resident before getting on that job. Last but not least, Boston, hope you are a city resident with an honorable discharge from the military.
    You are on the right path, but you are looking at things the wrong way. IMO, as stated above, you need to narrow your search to a certain area and progressivly work toward your goal. It's hard to be in so many places at once.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by Hewartson47; 08-14-2012 at 11:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I completely concur with those who recommended narrowing where you want to work. Once you have done this, knock on the door (or look up on the Internet) and find out about the MINIMUM requirements. Once you have identified these (remember these are minimums), set a course to go and get them.
    You will find that places where the fire and EMS departments are separate a Paramedic license will not help you too much. You will also find that many departments seek out Paramedics, and some even require it.

Regardless of the Paramedic angle, every department recognizes an Associate's degree. Lastly, DO NOT become a paramedic simply because you think it will help you get hired on the fire department, rather do it because you have a passion for it.
    Best of luck to you and as the others have mentioned, you are certainly on the right path to success!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Check out some tx cities some contract the ambulance service and fd assists them

Not the big city but place to start

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Forum Member

In North Carolina you don't need to be a medic. The only place I can think of that may help is Charlotte. But I don't even think its a must there. Where is your friend in SC?
    PS. In Tampa I think they will hire as an em t but they may want you to get medic cert within two to three yrs.
    Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 08-14-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: sp.

Forum Member

Im not sure. All i know is when theres fires. He is only on the ambulance. That blows

Forum Member

the other thing is some places 75% of the runs are medical, so some cities use that to justify postions.

Forum Member

True. Thats why i want to stick to bigger cities. I live in Mi but willing to relocate if neccesary. I hope if i end up getting a p card my fire science degree will keep me on the rig most of the time.

Forum Member

Boston FD doesn't run the EMS or ambulances. A seperate agency. However Boston FD does require EMT for their new hires. You have to be a city resident and probably have someone on the job there or a city employee to even put a application in.

see here >> http://www.cityofboston.gov/fire/employment/
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 08-15-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    off topic, went to a Flyers game back in Feb or March (cant member) 2010 when they were playing the Bruins. I sat by about 15 Boston FD guys... I couldn't understand a word they said the whole time. With an exception of "What BAA we goin to afta da game?"

They didn't appreciate it when I suggested they go to "insert bar here" and said it was WICKED AWESOME!!

Its Bastin, Beeah and Chawder.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

sorry degree will not matter much

Forum Member

i think most departments said if you have a degree its a point or something as well as p cards.

Forum Member

In case you havenít noticed thereís an army of up to 800 candidates going for every regular firefighter job. In your part of the country itís an advantage to get your medic.

Unless youíre in a protected class itís not easy to get on with the larger departments youíre looking at.

I know a candidate who was on Bostonís list at 154. He actually aced the test but after preference for injured vets he dropped to 154. Fortunately he made it in the last round of new hires off that list.

So, then youíre left with applying to many agencies that require medic certs.

I get calls from candidates all the time telling me about all their wonderful credentials. They have been testing 3, 5 or 7 years, have been number 30 on this list, 22 on that list, volunteer firefighter, AA in Fire Technology and every certificate and merit badge you could imagine and can gain their badges. But they can seem to make to cut for their badges.

I know you wrote and will hear that if you really donít want to be a medic donít just do it to get the job. That all you really need is your EMT to get hired. If I were in your position I would beg, borrow, and run with my afterburners on to get to medic school! Because unlike a regular entry level test where there are up to 800 candidates for each job, there are only 20 candidates for every fire medic job. It is by far your fastest way to the badge.

From: Steve Prziborowski, Battalion Chief, Santa Clara County Fire Department.
    ďEven being a paramedic doesnít guarantee you a job. You still have to pass all phases of the hiring process, and most importantly, pass the oral interview. You can have all the certificates and education in the world, but if you canít sell yourself or effectively communicate your qualifications in the oral board, all your pieces of paper are useless.Ē

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

i think most departments said if you have a degree its a point or something as well as p cards.
    Not sure where you'e getting your information? It’s rare to see departments require an AA or an advanced degree to apply or give points for a degree. Some agencies require some college credits as a way to cull the heard.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I would get your EMT first and do that for a while. But the funny thing is, you may just find out you like the EMS part of the job. When I joined the Air Force I had no inkling of doing anything medical, but that's what I ended up with and I found out that I really liked it. Now I'm in school for my medic and I must say that it's been so great to learn such cool stuff. Yes it is challenging (very challenging), but every bit worth it if you do it for the right reasons. Either way though, I'll tell you what my fire academy instructor told me: if you really wanna be a firefighter, learn to love EMS because it is a HUGE part of the job.

Forum Member

Thanks guys for all the imput. It really helps out.

Forum Member

Well here in VA my part specifically being a paramedic as one chief told me "is like being a hen that ****s golden eggs".

I got all my fire certs and volunteered then I got my EMT. I liked it but I did not get the thrill and excitement that I got with being on the engine. Then on the advice of everyone in the local fire/ems circles I enrolled in a paramedic program. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it the more skills and the more in depth treatments I learned the more I liked it.

Now I only have 4 more long months before I test. So even though I started medic without being 100% sure I turned out loving it.

Forum Member

I hope if i end up getting a p card my fire science degree will keep me on the rig most of the time.
    Oh that is just PRECIOUS.

Newsflash: nobody gives a crap about your degree, because you'd be going through their fire academy no matter what- especially in the bigger cities. You could have PhD in Fire Science and 10 years on another department, and it wouldn't change your assignment one way or the other. They'll put you where they want you.

Put me down as +1 for not being a Paramedic just to get a job, and then hating the job because you're not on the big red truck. Would you want a guy like that taking care of you?

Forum Member

emt 161 ur a total dousch bag. by the way.

Thread Information