Forum Member

Default Credit Check question?

I will be getting a background and credit check ran by the FD. This is my concern regarding my credit:

I have credit cards that are at their max. However, this was due to my wife losing her job and my hours being cut at my full-time employer. My wife just got hired at a new job after being out for almost a year. I have NEVER been late on any of my payments and I even paid off my car loan this past spring. Because of my maxed out cards my score drop to mid 600. The maxed out cards are literally the ONLY negative thing on my report. Will this cost me my dream job? I would be so devasted if it did. I have worked so hard and tested with so many departments before I finally landed number 1 at this department. Please Help!

Forum Member

It all depends on the Dept..sometimes if you explain to them what is going on, and that you are paying it off or in the process of getting things in order to pay off..it should be ok. Some depts might see a blemish and be like..nope!

Poor credit reflects bad judgement..some people just have bad luck, or do things when they are young because they just don't know..but to the hiring agency they feel that massive debt is a sign of irresponsibility and may lead you to snatch something when doing overhaul operations, or go to look through a wallet for ID and grab some cash when your transporting a patient..If you are applying for a federal dept, some require security clearances, I've been denied security clearance before because of debt that I didn't know I had. But, in that case, the powers that be figure if you owe 100,000 dollars on a house, 50,000 dollars on 2 cars, 30,000 dollars on a school loan, and are barely eeking by, or maxing out your cards..that you may sell secrets to the enemy..

Honestly, I don't think your situation is or will be an issue. If it is brought up you can just explain your situation to them and everything should be ok.

Maybe some of the more senior guys can chime in, but like I said, you should be ok.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by S_M_G View Post
    I will be getting a background and credit check ran by the FD. This is my concern regarding my credit:

I have credit cards that are at their max. However, this was due to my wife losing her job and my hours being cut at my full-time employer. My wife just got hired at a new job after being out for almost a year. I have NEVER been late on any of my payments and I even paid off my car loan this past spring. Because of my maxed out cards my score drop to mid 600. The maxed out cards are literally the ONLY negative thing on my report. Will this cost me my dream job? I would be so devasted if it did. I have worked so hard and tested with so many departments before I finally landed number 1 at this department. Please Help!
    I really doubt that it will hurt you much. I went through a background check with two collections and roughly 3,000 in debt on my record and I didn't have any trouble. My collections were both paid off and my debt was in good standing which did help, but I don't think your in any worse of a situation. That being said, different departments react differently to issues like this so it's really hard to say. My guess though is you won't have any trouble.

MembersZone Subscriber

You will be fine. It's ok to have debt, it's not OK to be irresponsible with your financial obligations. Your situation is completely explainable, especially since the background investigator will see that it lines up with your wife losing her full time job. Your credit FICA score is not all that important, how you uphold your obligations is.
    Best of luck to you!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Should be ok, enjoy the job

Forum Member

Thank you everyone for the replies! I will find out by mid next week if I have the job!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    ...but to the hiring agency they feel that massive debt is a sign of irresponsibility and may lead you to snatch something when doing overhaul operations, or go to look through a wallet for ID and grab some cash when your transporting a patient...
    I know it's not you Griff, but I find this line of thinking preposterous. But yet, that is the mentality that kept me from getting at least THREE jobs. Poor credit history.

Those thoughts never crossed my mind and I think it's BS that it's something that keeps someone from getting the job. Before I got hired, I told my BI about the poor credit issue. His response, "What? Are you buying a house? Don't worry about it."

SMG, I think you're good overall. There is reasonable explanation and a timeframe that it can all be tracked down to. My one recommendation would be to have a prepared letter explaining the situation if/when it does come up. You're not the only one out there trying to get hired that the current economy has affected. Being prepared to explain it will be another selling point.

Good luck!

Thread Information