Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sutphen Tower Failure

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOBY14B View Post
    Cables had not been adjusted.
    thanks......

Forum Member

I don't see how slack cables would cause this, outside of being pinched or very severe abrasion. Even then, it's hard to believe.

If there really is only one cable on the fly section, they need to re-engineer for a second for a redundant safety IMHO.
    Last edited by Cutlass84; 08-30-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Forum Member

That was a completely different cause.
    We still don't know the actual cause of the recent incident so I am not sure how you can say that.

In both incidents the fly section was released by the cable so there are similarities.

MembersZone Subscriber

On our aerials, there is very little clearence between the pullies (redundent) and the pulley mount plates. So if the cables are very slack, they cannot come off the the pulley and get pinched between the pulley and the mounting plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass84 View Post
    I don't see how slack cables would cause this, outside of being pinched or very severe abrasion. Even then, it's hard to believe.

If there really is only one cable on the fly section, they need to re-engineer for a second for a redundant safety IMHO.
    Sutphen built the very first telescoping aerial platform, and the fundamentals haven't changed. EVERY manufacturer has required maintenance, and that maintenance MUST be followed.

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    We still don't know the actual cause of the recent incident so I am not sure how you can say that.

In both incidents the fly section was released by the cable so there are similarities.
    I do, and it was a completely different cause.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Well, when you see pictures from two different accidents in a short time span with broken cables hanging out from both trucks, you have to ask the obvious questions. To not do so would be putting your head in the sand.

Forum Member

Sutphen built the very first telescoping aerial platform, and the fundamentals haven't changed. EVERY manufacturer has required maintenance, and that maintenance MUST be followed.
    That's a given. However, no amount of maintanence will replace having a redundant safety in place. Maybe they do? That just seems to be the factor that would have prevented these from escalating to this point.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Forum Member

If you know the actual cause why don't you share it with us? Have you inspected the apparatus?

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    If you know the actual cause why don't you share it with us? Have you inspected the apparatus?
    Sorry, but when the information is allowed to be released I will be glad to share it.

Forum Member

Sorry, but when the information is allowed to be released I will be glad to share it.
    Once there has been a public announcement, everyone will be able to share it.

Sutphen built the very first telescoping aerial platform.
    mmmm are you sure about this? I consider myself an amateur apparatus historian, and was always under the impression that the first telescoping boom platform was manufactured by the Truco division of Eaton Manufacturing, Inc. and mounted on a "C" Model Mack chassis for FDNY in 1964. The Truco name was later dropped in favor of Eaton, and the idea was later purchased by Baker, and then of course Seagrave. I just did a quicky search for any references of Sutphen tower history, I could not find anything definitive, I did however find several references to the early 1970's.

Useless information: Something many Mack/Scope fans do not know; one, and only one 'scope was mounted ona "B" Model chassis. Very few pictures of this unit exist. I cannot recall who it was for however.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 09-19-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    mmmm are you sure about this? I consider myself an amateur apparatus historian, and was always under the impression that the first telescoping boom platform was manufactured by the Truco division of Eaton Manufacturing, Inc. and mounted on a "C" Model Mack chassis for FDNY in 1964. The Truco name was later dropped in favor of Eaton, and the idea was later purchased by Baker, and then of course Seagrave. I just did a quicky search for any references of Sutphen tower history, I could not find anything definitive, I did however find several references to the early 1970's.
    Larry Shapiro's book, "Aerial Fire Trucks", does note the start of the Aerialscope for the FDNY as you described above, it just doesn't mention the Truco Div. of Eaton and just states that the Aerialscope was initially built by the Eaton Metal Co. in Denver, CO. in 1964. However, back a few pages in the book, it does state that in 1959, Sutphen began to contemplate an elevated platform aerial and that the first prototype of this device (a 65 ft. 3-section, all aluminum, midship-mounted, telescopic elevated platform) was built in 1961 on a Ford C-950 Series chassis. The first unit toured the country as a demonstrator for several years before Sutphen sold it to the Norwalk OH fire dept.
    Last edited by LeadOff; 09-19-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Forum Member

Useless information: Something many Mack/Scope fans do not know; one, and only one 'scope was mounted ona "B" Model chassis. Very few pictures of this unit exist. I cannot recall who it was for however.
    I found this picture on another website of what is supposed to be the 1st prototype Aerialscope mounted on the "B" Model Mack chassis. Sweet!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    npfd801 likes this.

Haven't seen anything official on the cable issue. So I'm just curious, if the cable broke, or was it still in one piece when the fly section collapsed.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
    Rhut Roh Scooby, where's the info you said you'd share? Seems to me your more tied to Sutphen than just a user? Care to share? I'm not happy to see any builders apparatus have issues, but it is pretty good to understand what types of things go wrong and how one differs from another.

Forum Member

Report Receipt Date: NOV 13, 2013
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V565000
    Component(s): EQUIPMENT
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 156

Manufacturer: Sutphen Corporation

SUMMARY:
    Sutphen Corporation (Sutphen) is recalling certain model year 2003-2012 SPH 100, model year 2000-2004 SP 110, model year 2003-2011 SPI 112 and model year 2003-2011 SAI 110 fire apparatus. In the affected vehicles, the bearings used for the extension of the ladder may seize causing the extension cables passing over them to chafe and fail.
    CONSEQUENCE:
    Failure of the extend/retract system can cause the aerial to unexpectedly retract. This movement could result in injuries to personnel on or around the vehicle.
    REMEDY:
    Sutphen has notified owners, and inspected all of the affected vehicles, repairing them as necessary, free of charge. The recall was completed on May 17, 2013. Owners may contact Sutphen at 1-614-889-1005.
    NOTES:
    Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Rhut Roh Scooby, where's the info you said you'd share? Seems to me your more tied to Sutphen than just a user? Care to share? I'm not happy to see any builders apparatus have issues, but it is pretty good to understand what types of things go wrong and how one differs from another.
    I wish I could. Unfortunately...there is still litigation ongoing. Like I said before though, every manufacturer has required maintenance/lubrication...and that MUST be done.

Hi,

If you follow this link: http://yngfire.com/index.php/topic,7234.0.html to the Youngstown Fire Forums you can see the Sutphen as from 1964 announcing their new aerial tower.

Thread Information