Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wildfires Mean End of the World

Some days "Pearls Before Swine" makes me laugh out loud.

Attachment 22303
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    You're very welcome. It's always an honor to slap you around given your nonsensical ramblings.

As far as global warming is concerned, the majority of the climatologists believe it is not only real, but man made. Even an individual who was until recently a skeptic has changed his position.

I'll take the word of folks who are knowledgeable on the topic any day over the FH Forum's version of Cliff Claven.
    The jury is still out on that, but a lot of the so-called "facts" have been exposed as made up to promote the green agenda. But don't get me wrong, I like a clean world, and we've made great strides to tidy up our little corner. But the stuff like the EPA's proposal to regulate dust from farming is just ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    The jury is still out on that, but a lot of the so-called "facts" have been exposed as made up to promote the green agenda. But don't get me wrong, I like a clean world, and we've made great strides to tidy up our little corner. But the stuff like the EPA's proposal to regulate dust from farming is just ludicrous.
    Actually that isn't the case. The majority of climatologists believe the issue is real and caused by man.

Even deniers are starting to come around.

Again, I put more trust in those who actually study the issue and have real science as support. The denier crowd has done no research of its own.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Scfire86, I’m not sure which climatologists you run with but the weather anthropologist for the NWS and several universities will argue with them. The climatologists that work on global weather patterns say that while there is some local and in some cases regional weather changes that are influenced by man made events, nothing has proven that there is a worldwide global warming on the scale the news media has reported. The changes in the weather that are taking place in the US and Canada are because of shifts in the jet streams caused by cooling of the Pacific and warming of the northern Atlantic, both naturally occurring patterns that have been repeated over and over in history, its just they do not always happen at the same time like it is now. according to the scientist, we are coming off a 100 year pattern of above normal calm and nice weather and entering into a more normal 100 years of volatile and violent weather shifts.

Global warming was a grad student's project based on a small set of data to make a computer program. The results were never repeated with any other program. The global warming “scientists” have been caught doctoring data on several occasions but it sells the news, so what if its bad science.

Global warming, freon and the ozone layer, cholesterol, omega 3, and fish oils are all the hot topics because of a half done study that was published and the news media ran with it. Now before anyone jumps on me for including cholesterol, the current findings are questioning the over use and effectiveness of some cholesterol meds and cholesterol diets in controlling heart disease. While controlling cholesterol is a good thing for some it is not the magic solution it was sold as.

While I’m on my soap box, wind and solar energy for generating electricity are totally a waste of tax payer money. Of all of the wind generators built, not 1 has paid for itself. Even with the high cost of electricity on the coasts, the generator will wear out and have to be replaced before it will pay for itself. If you want to make your own “cheap” electricity, and have access to natural gas, invest in a small steam generator for your basement. You can heat your house and domestic water with the exhaust steam, all for slightly more than the cost of heating your house with natural gas. Just my opinion.

Brad

PS: I know putting a steam generator in your basement is not legal or safe if not done to code. It would also be cost prohibitive for most single family dwellings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowbreaker View Post
    Scfire86, I’m not sure which climatologists you run with but the weather anthropologist for the NWS and several universities will argue with them. The climatologists that work on global weather patterns say that while there is some local and in some cases regional weather changes that are influenced by man made events, nothing has proven that there is a worldwide global warming on the scale the news media has reported. The changes in the weather that are taking place in the US and Canada are because of shifts in the jet streams caused by cooling of the Pacific and warming of the northern Atlantic, both naturally occurring patterns that have been repeated over and over in history, its just they do not always happen at the same time like it is now. according to the scientist, we are coming off a 100 year pattern of above normal calm and nice weather and entering into a more normal 100 years of volatile and violent weather shifts.
    What would it take to prove to you that the majority of climatologists believe global warming is real and is being caused by man?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowbreaker View Post
    PS: I know putting a steam generator in your basement is not legal or safe if not done to code. It would also be cost prohibitive for most single family dwellings.
    What is a steam generator and what is the difference between that and a boiler? I have hot water radiator heat in my house. Water is heated by a gas-fired direct vent boiler that I had installed new in 2007, cost about $4900 which also included a thermally-efficient storage tank for the hot water that the boiler also heats. When you are done using the heat for the heating season, you throw a valve, and then it only heats water for hot water use. We also have an electronic sensor that measures the outside air temp when it is in heat mode- the colder it is outside, the harder it "tells" the boiler and the pump to work. This all replaced a gas fired boiler that was installed in 1958, that was the size of a volkswagon. Monthly gas bill could be as high as $500. New boiler is the size of a dishwasher and now heating tab a month is $150.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

What would it take to prove to you that the majority of climatologists believe global warming is real and is being caused by man?
    A group of individuals not associated in any way with the US Gubmint, any liberal environmental groups or have any interest in any kind of green energy with appropriate credentials to tell me so.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    A group of individuals not associated in any way with the US Gubmint, any liberal environmental groups or have any interest in any kind of green energy with appropriate credentials to tell me so.
    So who does that leave? Are the groups that are associated and funded by the fossil fuel industry that are deniers acceptable as being objective?

So who does that leave? Are the groups that are associated and funded by the fossil fuel industry that are deniers acceptable as being objective?
    In fairness to you, no they are not.

Forum Member

Actually that isn't the case. The majority of climatologists believe the issue is real and caused by man.

Even deniers are starting to come around.

Again, I put more trust in those who actually study the issue and have real science as support. The denier crowd has done no research of its own.
    Well we're going to have to agree to disagree, because there are those on the other side of what you believe who HAVE done research that disagrees with those on your side.

Like I said, the jury is still out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Well we're going to have to agree to disagree, because there are those on the other side of what you believe who HAVE done research that disagrees with those on your side.

Like I said, the jury is still out.
    There very well be some that disagree. But the greater majority who HAVE done research believe that warming is real and that man is the cause.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

It doesn't matter. We are all going to die anyways. No matter what we do the next generation will blame us.

How's that for negative, cynical, who cares posting?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    It doesn't matter. We are all going to die anyways. No matter what we do the next generation will blame us.

How's that for negative, cynical, who cares posting?
    Given enough time, all of our life expectancies drop to zero.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Exactly...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

CNN said Isaac was tracking the same as Katrina , but the water was a couple of degrees cooler now than in 05--- whats up with that ?
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    CNN said Isaac was tracking the same as Katrina , but the water was a couple of degrees cooler now than in 05--- whats up with that ?

Less people peeing in the water.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.........

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    It's FWD's fault. He got a better Boiler, and he's not providing as much excess heat to the Tropics as he used to.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    It's FWD's fault. He got a better Boiler, and he's not providing as much excess heat to the Tropics as he used to.......
    Since his gastric bypass... he is eating less and healthier, therefore he is not farting as much, which is reducing the greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere.

Luv ya Bro!
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 08-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

In the mean time, I think I'll have another beer.

Thread Information