Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default What to put in a command/rehab vehicle

We just scored a Type III ambulance that has been converted into a command post. We want to use it for that plus rehab, along with any other reasonable purpose we can come up with.

Has anyone done such a project before, and what would we be wise to add to this vehicle?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

IMO, a type III ambulance is big enough to be used as either a mobile command post, or a rehab vehicle, not both.

Get the IC and a couple other white hats in there, and then try provide rehab to 20-40 firefighters at the same time. I doubt either will be done very well.

If at all possible, I'd try and get 2 separate vehicles.

Forum Member

We just did such a project a couple of years ago, except for us, it is strictly a command vehicle.

We have found that for our incidents it works well. So far it has been utilized at a small tornado, and a 3 week long dry lakebed fire, as well as a few much smaller day to day type events.

Built a table at the breezeway between the cab and the box. Mounted all of our radios there with seat for a dedicated radio operator.

Removed all padding behind the bench seat. Covered it with whiteboard material as well as the area towards the rear on the other side so we now have tons of whiteboad space for making notes, etc.

Added 2 computers with aircards.

We now carry two folding tents. We have talked about added a awning to the side but that still has not been decided.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I'm sorry but I simply can't help myself...

The most important thing I would add to your command vehicle is a competent incident commander!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Absolutely. Better to have a commander with no post than a post with no commander!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

If you use the vehicle as a resource and not a "structure" for rehab, you can do both with it.

Use the side door for command, partition off the rear to store equipment and supplies for rehab. Do the rehab outside the vehicle. Use the outside compartments for more storage.

LA has it with the folding tents/canopies. Carry four of those very common 10x10 versions, with sides, and you've got a 20x20 room, which you can partition further into an exam room, etc. Add more and you've got that much more room. In the summer you can usually skip most of the sides as you're looking for shade. Carry something for tie-down/hold-down, like empty jugs you can fill with water at the scene. I think they make a bag especially for that purpose.

Throw in a couple of fans and tank-top propane heaters for environmental management. Folding/camp chairs, cots, an ample supply of water and sports drink, a BLS bag, housekeeping supplies, lighting, and what-have-you give you what you need to set up a rehab and not a single firefighter will set foot in the rig, at least not for rehab.

Meanwhile you've still got room in the "command center" for a couple folks sitting and maybe a couple standing (include a couple of folding stools, too). Odds are you're in for an extended job if you're in there. And you've got that whole new partition for a whiteboard and/or mounting flatscreen monitors.

Most of the stuff you'll carry for rehab won't be all that heavy, so it's not likely you'll push the vehicle over capacity.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Default What to put in a command/rehab vehicle.

The Chiefs, then lock the doors until the incident is under control.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information