Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: City of Raleigh Hiring, September 2012 Process

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mo27 View Post
    I hear they are using a different written test, does anyone have any info about it ?
    Heard that too.

Forum Member

Bump........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    No medics (thank God)....and no preference.
    Ignorant post.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFFP View Post
    Ignorant post.
    Thank you for your feedback, you're entitled to your own opinion as well.

Quite frankly, I'm glad we don't run medics at the F.D. level because our relationship with the county EMS provider is solid, pro-active, and works very well.
    Want2BAFF., DJ_Reverse and bcress like this.

Forum Member

Ignorant post.
    Ignorant post...... You aren't very intelligent are you? The tag name on the guy that posted and the fact that he has helped your thread answering questions about the job and you say that he is ignorant, come on. If you think it is ignorant then don't test go ride a bus somewhere else and we will handle the fires and big boy stuff, just so you know most southern departments don't run medics and none of us want too. News flash he is on the job there. . . . .
    Last edited by CFD11; 09-19-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    DJ_Reverse likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    Ignorant post...... You aren't very intelligent are you? The tag name on the guy that posted and the fact that he has helped your thread answering questions about the job and you say that he is ignorant, come on. If you think it is ignorant then don't test go ride a bus somewhere else and we will handle the fires and big boy stuff, just so you know most southern departments don't run medics and none of us want too. News flash he is on the job there. . . . .
    "You aren't very smart are you," says the guy who can't form a proper sentence. Try adding some punctuation; it helps.

Also, I'm sure the original poster that I made the reference to can respond to my posts and we can have a discussion about it without you having to defend him. "Newsflash," taking up for him will not help you get a job.

Now, back to the original topic: I'll refrain from saying how uneducated and, again, ignorant you make yourself sound by making comments such as, "go ride a bus somewhere and we will handle the fires and big boy stuff," and I will essentially say that your posting is extremely worrisome and closed-minded and the fire service has no place for it (you) if you keep that attitude. You will be in for a rude awakening if you ever get hired on and take that attitude with you because I would venture to say that it probably pertains to more areas of your life than just your disdain and resentment for medics.

For what it's worth, I have 3 close friends currently on the job at RFD so the fact that the guy is on the job hold no weight. Iit was still a comment that he made that sounded idiotic--just not as bad as yours.

Forum Member

First off, are you hired on some place? Last time I checked I am on the job and making a pretty fair wage so obviously your assumption that the fire service has no place for me is interesting. Second, I am not taking up for him to help get a job, doubt I will even apply, I was taking up for him because you are acting like a tool and are ungrateful. Third if you would like to compare education we can, last time I saw my degree it said Masters in Science of leadership with an emphasis in executive fire officer leadership, but I guess my sentence structure isn't good enough for a forum..... just saying. Fourth, I have been on the job with a metro department for the last four years and before that a combi department. The lessons you spew about the fire service and how I will be shocked here is a lesson for you, you will be a probie and no one will give a crap you are medic and learn to be humble and not make assumptions about people before you get hired. So be quite and go get the toilets

Forum Member

Once again, point proven. Good luck with your "career." It's comical at this point.

Ps, I've been on the job for 10+ years at a one of the largest departments in the country.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    Thank you for your feedback, you're entitled to your own opinion as well.

Quite frankly, I'm glad we don't run medics at the F.D. level because our relationship with the county EMS provider is solid, pro-active, and works very well.

Awesome. It does sound like you guys have a good working relationship with EMS there which is a great thing. I have a few friends on the job in Raleigh that say the same. My comment was only directed at the comment about medics--not you personally. I just hate seeing ourselves in the fire service continually shoot ourselves the foot in the public eye. Sure, many guys dislike riding the medic units and a lot of guys dislike EMS in general. But, the fact is that EMS is a huge part of the fire service and is not going anywhere. We shouldn't be trying to form a wall between the two things--we should be making the two work better together.

Just my thoughts. Nothing personal. For what it's worth, I've been on the job for 10+ years as a FF/Paramedic, Driver and Officer and in a place that has struggled with unhealthy spats between the fire and EMS divisions. I just don't like seeing it and that's was the reasoning behind my comment. I do appreciate the discussion you've brought though.

Forum Member

Awesome. It does sound like you guys have a good working relationship with EMS there which is a great thing. I have a few friends on the job in Raleigh that say the same. My comment was only directed at the comment about medics--not you personally. I just hate seeing ourselves in the fire service continually shoot ourselves the foot in the public eye. Sure, many guys dislike riding the medic units and a lot of guys dislike EMS in general. But, the fact is that EMS is a huge part of the fire service and is not going anywhere. We shouldn't be trying to form a wall between the two things--we should be making the two work better together.

Just my thoughts. Nothing personal. For what it's worth, I've been on the job for 10+ years as a FF/Paramedic, Driver and Officer and in a place that has struggled with unhealthy spats between the fire and EMS divisions. I just don't like seeing it and that's was the reasoning behind my comment. I do appreciate the discussion you've brought though.
    No problemo!

My point was; while I understand benefits of an ALS Engine which can get some good drugs pushed faster, I'm glad we haven't gone that far. Wake EMS and RFD have a solid working relationship, and in my 13 years I have never seen a spat. Sure, some people are going to have differences (like you and I, haha), but they don't let it affect patient care. So why attempt to fix something that isn't broken? Both agencies are still proactive with EMS, but agree it's best we stay separate.

It's all good, I just felt calling me "ignorant" was jumping the gun slightly, versus asking why I felt the way I do. Don't get me wrong, any time I provide patient care, I provide the best damn EMT level of care possible!

Stay safe....

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

RFDGloWorm,

Got any plans on the 19th? I am hoping to schedule my written and physical abilities test on this day.

I'll be flying in on the 18th and bailing on the 20th.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

jcv
    Forum Member

Hey I was just wondering how far do you have to be able to go in the sit and reach test and when would academy start? I seen in 2010 thread that although they applied and everything in October academy wasn't til April. Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy411 View Post
    RFDGloWorm,

Got any plans on the 19th? I am hoping to schedule my written and physical abilities test on this day.

I'll be flying in on the 18th and bailing on the 20th.
    Sorry Brother, I'm taking a trip to NYC that weekend. Would have loved to chat over a pint; if you come back for an interview let me know. If you need any hotel advice, PM me.

GOOD LUCK!!
    Last edited by RFDGloWorm; 10-07-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcv View Post
    Hey I was just wondering how far do you have to be able to go in the sit and reach test and when would academy start? I seen in 2010 thread that although they applied and everything in October academy wasn't til April. Thanks!
    No idea how far....a good guide I think, is just be sure you can stretch passed your toes between a 1/2 to one finger length.

Once again, point proven. Good luck with your "career." It's comical at this point.

Ps, I've been on the job for 10+ years at a one of the largest departments in the country.
    And, where would that be???
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

The application period is over, we have the written and the physical test on the horizon. What's this rumor about a different written test? Who's got the scoop?

Also...

I understand that they're not doing the usual CPAT, does anyone have any experience with what they're running for a PAT?

Also curious to know if this department has any type of veterans preference.

Very respectfully,
    FFRY
    Last edited by FFRY; 10-08-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Forum Member

I'm with FFRY, I've got a few questions about the process. I've been through a couple Charlotte Fire Recruitment processes, and have been waiting to turn 21 to put my application into Raleigh. From reading over information, it seems like Raleigh runs there process a little different than other places (which I don't mind). Just have a few questions.

-Instead of pass/fail, do we get ranked on how high we score on the written and physical test?

-I've run a few CPAT's with no trouble at all, but from what i've heard the PAT is a more difficult test. From the description of the PAT, I just don't see how that is true. If anyone has any experience with the PAT I would love some advice.
    Also what kind of break do you get between the written test and the PAT?

-I know in large city recruitment's the process can take a very long time, has anybody heard a time table of when they are going to run a class?

Forum Member

Considering there is a 1.5 mile run in addition to the other steps i can see how it could be more difficult. Score is also timed btw.

I assume Raleigh does not have lifetime benefits, but is healthcare taken out of the employees pay? Cost of living seems very low so the pay seems more than adequate, but those in the know feel free to give your thoughts.

Forum Member

I'd like to know as much about the PAT as possible. As an out of state applicant I won't be able to attend the orientation, so if anyone could share what they learn I'd appreciate it greatly!

In regard to scoring the Raleigh FD website says "Your score will be determined from the total time in seconds on all but one of the tests; the sit and reach test will be scored in inches." It sounds as if they take your "total run time" and look at a chart with a corresponding score. I could be dead wrong on this.

What I'd really like to know is which events we will be wearing a weighted vest. The website only makes mention of wearing a vest on the stair climb however the pictures on the website show the candidates wearing vests for other events. Until told otherwise, I'm assuming we'll be wearing the vest for all events.

I'd also like to know more about the ceiling breach and pull. Is it the "CPAT style" 4 sets of 3 up/5 down? How far is the Serpentine run, etc? I'm not afraid that I may fail, but I would like to know what exactly I'm doing so I can tailor my workouts for the next few weeks around what we'll be doing.

Very respectfully,
    FFRY

Forum Member

Just received my candidate selection procedures packet. A lot of answers in it, yet I still have a question or two. I'll post them as soon as I'm able to; at the moment I'm out the door.

Thread Information