Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: City of Raleigh Hiring, September 2012 Process

Forum Member

FFRY I sent you a private Msg

Forum Member

Got my packet, scheduled for the written and physical this Wednesday. See you kids then.

Nick

Forum Member

fellas I scheduled my written and physical for the 24th but they ran out of packets? she said I should have one buy Saturday. Can anyone give me a heads up whats in the packet? will I need to get stuff together to bring down or does it just go over the practical and tell you to arrive early? thanks for any help!
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

Standard "Dear Applicant" letter, a paper scrap registration reminder, and the Candidate Selection Procedures for Firefighter Applicants. Chapter headings: How this manual can help, firefighter eligibility requirements, job description for firefighter, firefighter selection, initial training and probation for new firefighters, physical fitness screening procedures and prep guidelines for applicants, an overview of the agility test, and a training guide to prepare for the test, how to run on week one, etc. If you've been through the process with another dept. you shouldn't have anything to worry about information-wise. It does include descriptions and time limits for each evolution in the agility test, might be helpful to review those. Bring a picture ID, show up early, look both ways before crossing the street, all that good stuff in there as well.

Good Luck,

Nick

Forum Member

How'd you do Plato, anything surprising with the written.

Curious how long you were there for

Forum Member

Felt pretty good, helped that the weather was co-operative. First part of the written is audio only, a few lines of alphanumerics are in the test book, and they give you oral instructions to find the letter before the number above the lowest underlined letter, etc. The only fun bit was the memory game section, a full page cartoon cityscape with lots of details. You get two minutes to absorb it, then have to answer a pile of questions about it without referencing it again. Otherwise it's all standard stuff.

Arrived on-site around 9:45 for my 10:30 appointment, was in the car driving home at 3:15.

Be advised, the running course is on city streets with one lane "closed" to traffic, so keep your heads on a swivel, kids.

Forum Member

Cool Raleigh FD

Finished my Written and Physical Agility Test on the 19th during the 1030 Session. I will say this, what a great group of Guys and Gals.

The Written was a good test (usually my weakness in the Testing Process); I feel very good that I did well on it. The Physical Agility Test is a good test and I like the various areas that it stresses upon (Cardio, Strength and Flexibility). I feel I did pretty well on the Agility Test also, finishing 4th on the 1 1/2 Mile Run (with around a 6 minute 40 second mile) out of a Group of 46 or so Guys and Gals.

The way RFD tests is great. I felt comfortable, wanted and definitely see that their Department cares for it's Members. During the briefing before the Physical Ability Test the Chief that talked to us told us the Department invests over a million dollars per FF and they want you to stay for 30 years. I can honestly say I do not doubt this.....

I'm really hoping that I get to move forward in this process. Thanks for making a West (Left) Coaster feel comfortable.
    Last edited by fyrmb411@hotmail.com; 10-21-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Forum Member

First time in the Raleigh process and taking my test's this Friday the 26th. Any advice? Whats the hardest part of the Testing? What were some of your guys time's on the PAT?

Good luck to everyone testing this week

Forum Member

Any mention from the chief on how many they're looking to hire?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFRY View Post
    Any mention from the chief on how many they're looking to hire?
    20 to 25......

Forum Member

Heading down today to test on Sat.. RFDGLOWorm are going to be around ? Seeing if I can stop by a station when i am down in Raleigh

Forum Member

I'm curious to see how test takers are getting dressed for this. I usually do business attire but it sounds like getting changed and storing my suit is going to be difficult. Says all we get is a Manila envelope and a small box.

Any advice from those who have already tested?
    Last edited by FFRY; 10-26-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Forum Member

I'm curious to see how test takers are getting dressed for this. I usually do business attire but it sounds like getting changed and storing my suit is going to be difficult. Says all we get is a Manila envelope and a small box.

Any advice from those who have already tested?
    I'm not saying that I did it correct, but I wore comfortable clothes for the Written and Physical Agility Test. I made this choice because it said to dress this way in the packet or in a piece of paper that came with the packet. I went out and bought a nice outfit/suit just in case I move forward in the process. Plus, my better half said I needed something to wear when we go out to nice places for "date night". I reckon she's not thinking that Wranglers and a button-up shirt is nice enough. LOL.

Good luck to those that tested today, I hope to meet many of you in the Academy if not during the Oral Board portion. My bruises are almost healed from the 24" tubes... LOL.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

I hear you my bruises are healing too haha..

Forum Member

took the 2nd test on the 27th...great job by the city in putting it together. very professional, also an equally great applicant pool. Probably the most friendly group of applicants ive ever tested with. extremely supportive group. my bruises are finally starting to heal as well..just wanted to say i have a ton of respect for the raleigh fd and the applicants that came out for this test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any idea when we're going to be notified if we passed the Written and Physical Agility Test? I'm also trying to remember when they said the Admin Review would be and tentative dates of when the Oral Board will be so I can start looking for flights for that time frame.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

I believe you should know If you passed/failed the physical agility test already.

Remember your clipboard where the proctors recorded your run times? If I remember correctly: the last line on that clipboard was a signature line acknowledging that you failed the PAT and you were out of the process. As long as you completed all events and didn't sign that line you should be good for the PAT.

I'm involved in a couple of other department processes, so it's possible that I'm remembering the "signature line" from another FD PAT.

If you're worried about your test score and want extra credit on your written test, please find the letter that is above the second underlined letter and before the fourth vowel.
    Last edited by FFRY; 11-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe you should know If you passed/failed the physical agility test already.

Remember your clipboard where the proctors recorded your run times? If I remember correctly: the last line on that clipboard was a signature line acknowledging that you failed the PAT and you were out of the process. As long as you completed all events and didn't sign that line you should be good for the PAT.

I'm involved in a couple of other department processes, so it's possible that I'm remembering the "signature line" from another FD PAT.

If you're worried about your test score and want extra credit on your written test, please find the letter that is above the second underlined letter and before the fourth vowel.
    I'm not really curious about the Physical Agility more curious if I scored high enough on the Written to move on. Yes, if you failed the Agility you signed the bottom of the paper and they explain why you failed. Thanks.

I'm sure they're not going to due the Admin Review on all of the Candidates.

Any updates? Anybody know any numbers on how many passed so far? Anybody receive letters yet?
    Last edited by mikeyboy411; 11-12-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

I haven't received anything yet.

Forum Member

anyone hear anything yet?

Thread Information