Like Tree2Likes

Thread: is it me?

Forum Member

Maybe they have been in here on firehouse.com and seen your avatar and it scared them.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Maybe they have been in here on firehouse.com and seen your avatar and it scared them.

haha yea maybe so its heat miser from the xmas movie i luv that movie i still watch it at xmastime

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

Yeah, with a user name like BurninLuv you should consider an Elvis avatar. Thankyaverymuch.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Yeah, with a user name like BurninLuv you should consider an Elvis avatar. Thankyaverymuch.
    haha yeah good idea i left the bilding and stuf like that

MembersZone Subscriber

Pretty much normal behavior for a department without clear guidelines on how to handle new people. Almost all of us suffer from it at one time or another.

Next meeting ask when you get gear. Ask what training do they need you to complete. At these meetings when they talk about special events, training, work days, volunteer. Sit up front.

Dont fill out an application like you type here.

It is NOT you. They should have a better process in place, either to say yes or no.

Forum Member

guys at the last meeting they said that on saturday they will have a "work day" to do stuff around the station. im not a member (yet--in my other post i told u how they said i had 2 come back 1 more time ) and i didnt say anything but i was thinkin about going to work day any way even tho im not a oficial member to show my willingness to work and my good attitude. do you think its a good idea or shld i wait until aftr the next "Oficial" meeting to do things like this? i dont want to make them mad by comin to something im not "Oficialy" invited to but i want to help! and maybe they will see im sincere and want to pitch in. what do you think?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BurninLuv View Post
    ok yeah im sory i need to type better i go too fast gota slow down thx the ideas are great tho i will give em a try
    Try this - type your reply, but don't click on "post reply" until you get up and walk away from the keyboard for a few minutes. Then come back and read your submission again before clicking on "post."

Too, read your submission aloud. If you have to stop and take a breath, or if you naturally pause, it's probably time for some form of break.

Look for changes in the ideas you're presenting. That's where you put the paragraph breaks.

I just offered the same basic advice to someone on another, unrelated forum. I also said there that I tend to give credence to posts based on their presentation - ie, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.

As for your last question - I'd say go, but make sure you ask some or all of the questions mentioned here in the thread, and especially for an application.

Either they're incredibly poorly organized, or they're jerking your chain. Time to find out which.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=EastKyFF;1338809](none of our voting members comes from the volunteer roster).[QUOTE]

Way off topic............EASTKYFF are you a chapter 75 FD (Sorry everyone its a KY KRS)? If you are teh FF elect two board members that can be FF. A FF should not be the Chairman though.

Ok now to topic.....

Firefighers can be a hard nut to crack.

But if your description of the meetings is corrrect.....something doesn't seem right to me...a 20 minute meeting?

{Edited out because I am a moron and didn't finish readin gall of the posts}

I would go to the FF in charge (term is odd to me) and ask again without going over his head then I would go to the Chief if no answer is given.

Just a question....How many people are on this fire department and are they very busy?
    Last edited by BSFD9302; 10-12-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Forum Member

well i went to the "work day" . cleaned up arnd the station for a cpl hours, talked to some ppl. One of the guys gave me a tour of the trucks and ambys, which was cool. they got 2 engines 3 ambys and a brush truck. the guy said if i wanted to practice driving on weekends to call him and hed train me before i go to evoc if thats what i want to do.

i dont know how many mems they got probly like 40? i dnt know how many are active. they do alot of amby runs i know, mostly transportin folks from one hosp to another that kind of thing. i dont know how many fires they get but i will ask next time.

one other guy said hed get me a app that they wanted me to join but theyre just real busy right now. -shrug-

i will let yall know what happens next!!! i will docament my exp like a reality show 'real vollys of american' or somthing LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BurninLuv View Post
    well i went to the "work day" . cleaned up arnd the station for a cpl hours, talked to some ppl. One of the guys gave me a tour of the trucks and ambys, which was cool. they got 2 engines 3 ambys and a brush truck. the guy said if i wanted to practice driving on weekends to call him and hed train me before i go to evoc if thats what i want to do.

i dont know how many mems they got probly like 40? i dnt know how many are active. they do alot of amby runs i know, mostly transportin folks from one hosp to another that kind of thing. i dont know how many fires they get but i will ask next time.

one other guy said hed get me a app that they wanted me to join but theyre just real busy right now. -shrug-

i will let yall know what happens next!!! i will docament my exp like a reality show 'real vollys of american' or somthing LOL

First of all, good for you by going to the Saturday field day.

Second, if you are not a member, do not get behind the wheel of any of their apparatus or equipment. You are not a member and would not be covered by their insurance carrier. The last thing you would want to happen is have an accident. An accident where you are driving their vehicles and not covered by their insurance.

There is plenty of time to learn to drive and operate, after you are officially a member of that department.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Way off topic............EASTKYFF are you a chapter 75 FD (Sorry everyone its a KY KRS)? If you are teh FF elect two board members that can be FF. A FF should not be the Chairman though.
    No, we are 273. We do collect the fire fee on the property tax bills but we are not a FPD.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

At both of the departments I have joined I was handed an application on the first night there. Even the dept I run with now where the organization/paperwork is rather "relaxed" wasn't what you described...got issued gear promptly (hell, issued gear before I learned everybody's names) and so forth.

Keep trying but if you don't get any movement soon move onto another department. When I first moved to this area the first dept I looked into joining wasn't a good fit for me so I moved onto the next one and they are glad to have me. You might have to drive a bit farther but it'll be worth it...
    Last edited by ParkFire; 10-28-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Forum Member

hey park thanks for the info man. the next mtg is in a cpl of days which SHOULD be that magic THIRD MTG they keep talking abt so well see whats what then. i will let everyone know what hapens!!!

Forum Member

hope things go good.

One thing, I hope you do not normally write, like you have been on this forum.
    You should write clear concise sentences with fully spelled out words, and do it all the time.

Thread Information