Thread: CAL-Fire

Forum Member

Default CAL-Fire

Hello! I am 18 and am planning on applying to CAL-Fire this year. Does anyone have any advice? I will have recommendation letters from friends in the fire department for every application that I send in. I also have passed the ICS course offered by FEMA. I have not taken any fire/emt classes, but have my CPR card. Should I take the CPAT before I apply or wait awhile?

Thank you!

Forum Member

cannot tell you anything about calfire, but you might look at this web site for tips, and also they offer a program to buy.

http://www.eatstress.com/faq.htm

Forum Member

Go onto Cal Fire's website and see if you are going to need your CPAT or anything else to apply. Are you going to be applying as a seasonal I'm assuming?

Forum Member

Rast, you are far behind the curve with what you present. I'm sure other CA guys will jump in. You really have nothing to offer but I'm not discouraging you from putting in for it.

Recom. Letter - I don't think are going to have much weight for Cal Fire, unless theyre from Cal Fire guys. I see recom. letter and unless it's a chief, I toss them to the side. Everyone has a FF buddy.
    ICS - Good you have before but not a big deal, probably have to go through that stuff again once on.
    No fire/emt - majority of applicants are going to have experience and other certs. Get your 67 and any certs you can while trying to get on. Have something to offer, you know.
    CPR - is it Pro? Either way, no big deal, it a 3 hour class the dept can do most likely.
    CPAT may not be a require but itll at least show you can pass it, so I'd take it.

Start networking, get in shape, start studying.... Try your best to get ahead of the game. No one is going to hold you hand and nobody is handing out jobs. Remember in CA there are 1000s going after the same spot as you.
    Last edited by legos.8ty7; 08-29-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Forum Member

Agree with above. Best bet if your looking the cal fire route is to try to get on as a PCF or reserve at a cal fire station. You have to go to the station and usually apply in person or ask when they will be hiring.

Forum Member

With my experience, no 67 hour cert=no interview. I have it and still haven't gotten an interview. They don't require cpat, but having CPR, EMT, ff1 and the 67 hour gives you points towards getting an interview

Forum Member

Thank you. This is very helpful.

Forum Member

Yes, I am going to be applying as seasonal. I have looked at their website, and they don't have much on there. I only saw that you have to be 18 when you apply.
    Last edited by rast; 08-31-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Forum Member

I'm an out of state person with no california certs, but I am currently a full time firefighter at a career department. I have my ICS 100-800, EMT, CPR, and IFSAC FF1, HazMat Ops and an A.A.S. in fire science. What are my chances of getting an interview?
    Professional Firefighter/EMT-B

Forum Member

With Cal Fire

Forum Member

I went to a CSFM Fire Fighter 1 academy and got my EMT in 2010. Almost everyone from my recruit class applied for CAL FIRE and none of us got an interview. In the 2008 class 30 recruits got hired right out of the academy. Times have changed. When Gov. Brown took office he reduced CAL FIRE staffing from four man engine companies to three man. People who had a few seasons under their belt were struggling to get re-hired. The only chance anyone else has is if CA continues to burn and they need more people, but don't hold your breath on that one. The former seasonals have re-hire rights and they will get picked up before you. When the next wave of retirements comes through that is when they will hire like crazy again.

@rast: You are young and have plenty of time to educate yourself and have a long career when you do get picked up.

@Fieronfire: I don't recommend you giving up your full time postion for a seasonal one. An engineer at my department had to wait two seasons before getting picked up again. Can you afford to be laid off for a couple of years?

Forum Member

Btw, don't get discouraged. Definitely apply. I know sometimes units up north will hire people with less certs since they generally get a lot less applicants.

Forum Member

I have been studying since I was 17. I have read a lot of fire/emt exam books. Also, I have made my own fire/emt term logs. I am doing everything that I can possible do, to be ahead of the game. I have quiet a few friends in my local FD who are willing to answer any questions I have. I know that I don't have a lot of the certs that CAL-Fire is looking for, but I am willing to work my butt off to get a postion. That is one thing I have going for me, I am not afraid to work hard.

Forum Member

Thank you!

Forum Member

Are you applying with CAL-Fire this year?

Forum Member

Rast, I noticed you're from sj as well. Look into the south bay regional fire academy. You can get the calfire cert along with your ff1 academy completion with a bunch f ther cents that will be helpful in about six months. Pm me of you want more info, I'm also from the area

Forum Member

I'm going through an academy right now that's ran and taught by a ton of CAL-Fire employees.

I would suggest getting your EMT, and then getting into a basic fire academy right away then start applying.

Forum Member

Where is your academy being held?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rast View Post
    Where is your academy being held?
    Riverside.

Not trying to be harsh at all, but just an ICS cert, and a few letters wont make you stand out much at all. Right now with everyone trying to become firefighters you need as much qualifications and education to make yourself stand out as that individual who would be desirable to be hired. Just my .02 cents.

Forum Member

Rast, I believe you have the right attitude but EXAM books will only get you so far, it's not giving you the knowledge to progress into the fire service. 'Im going to work my butt off' mindset is good but you're in CA and there are 1000s saying the exact same thing. We're giving you the real picture, 'working you butt off' and having friends in fire doesn't equal to a job.

Like its been said: focus on getting certs, apply where you can, look into volley/reserve spots, get some experience.

Thread Information