Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... Last
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Here we go again

Forum Member

Default Here we go again

Another Bozo cop arrests a firefighter doing his job. Maybe if he'd scored higher on the civil service test he could've been a firefighter.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2..._firefigh.html

Banned

Forum Member

You need to re-read the article. The firefighter in question was not arrested, he was issued citations.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Banned

"Poor Lawrence (the cop). Obviously was picked on as a kid, and now has to be a bully himself to feel better. Probably applied to be a firefighter and was not accepted. So he decided to join the Boy scouts as a scout leader. When that was too tough for him, he took a less intense job and became a cop. Now he drives around giving out tickets like candy. I feel bad for the guy, going home to his empty 1 room apartment, cracking open a beer and watching Miami Vice on BETA all night. So sad."

Forum Member

Wait for the results of the court case.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You need to re-read the article. The firefighter in question was not arrested, he was issued citations.
    Yep you're right. Still a bone headed cop.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Wait for the results of the court case.
    Bones correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt FD retain command and control of a fire scene in the state of NJ? So if they were on a smells and bells run, that counts as a fire run....therefore by his lawful order the buggy was blocking traffic.....only a bone-headed judge would rule in favor of the cop.....In fact were I the judge I would be forced to chastise him at length and on the record for wasting my time, the FF and the Chief's time, and the taxpayers money as well.

Forum Member

Honest question....How much of a surrounding area constitutes the fire scene? and has an emergent need to stop traffic?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Honest question....How much of a surrounding area constitutes the fire scene? and has an emergent need to stop traffic?
    The street in front of the building/scene is in that area.

What if FF's arrive and see no fire, no smoke, so they don't block the street. Then all of a sudden, BOOM, Back draft.

Better safe then sorry.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
    What if FF's arrive and see no fire, no smoke, so they don't block the street. Then all of a sudden, BOOM, Back draft.
    You block the street on every fire-related call you respond to, no matter what? I sure don't. Common sense and good judgement, my brother.

As for the article, I'll be interested to see the outcome of this court case as well.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Better safe then sorry.

........what......the......f........?
    IACOJ Member

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    You block the street on every fire-related call you respond to, no matter what? I sure don't. Common sense and good judgement, my brother.

As for the article, I'll be interested to see the outcome of this court case as well.
    Yes we block the street on calls that are near the street. It gives us room to move trucks, run lines, and prevent civilian accidents. It also cuts down on rubber neckers which reduces accidents. Firefighters may have and use common sense and good judgement, but we know how well that works with the public. As I said, better safe then sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    ........what......the......f........?
    Problems understanding standing fire scene safety? Maybe a little training could help.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Yes we block the street on calls that are near the street.
    Hey, whatever works for you I guess. *shrugs*

Problems understanding standing fire scene safety? Maybe a little training could help.
    Pay no attention to Vinnie, he's a rookie on some little department in the Northeast.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

......../facepalm........

Im still trying to get over your previous statement...."boom....backdraft"......now thats funny....and if you dont see the issue with that, especially coupled with your follow on reasoning....then....Ill just remain entertained....
    IACOJ Member

Banned

......../facepalm........

Im still trying to get over your previous statement...."boom....backdraft"......now thats funny....and if you dont see the issue with that, especially coupled with your follow on reasoning....then....Ill just remain entertained....

Sure would hate to be a civilian driving by on an unblocked street when this happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM7pRyEJqes

Here is another
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRdxXSxfmM0

Wow, "boom" enough to knock him off the ladder.

Good thing back drafts are not dangerous enough to need to block the streets.

Forum Member

Yeah VinnieB what are you thinking Maybe you the Movie Backdraft on VHS or DVD . Whenever Kurt and the boys went to calls they blocked the street.

Grabbing some popcorn covering Monitor with Plastic sheeting and awaiting the games to really begin.

Forum Member

Sure would hate to be a civilian driving by on an unblocked street when this happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM7pRyEJqes

Here is another
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRdxXSxfmM0

Wow, "boom" enough to knock him off the ladder.

Good thing back drafts are not dangerous enough to need to block the streets.
    Neither of these videos describe the situation you were first talking about.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by no1special View Post
    Grabbing some popcorn covering Monitor with Plastic sheeting and awaiting the games to really begin.
    There are no games. It's obvious that people here are fire EXPERTS and know EVERY POSSIBLE SITUATION that could ever happen on a fire scene and so there is never a need to block the street to protect civilians. And it is SO obvious that the first video I posted is CLEARLY just Hollywood special effects and could never really happen in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Neither of these videos describe the situation you were first talking about.
    Um... Did you even watch the first video?

Big fire ball out into the street.

EXACTLY the situation I was talking about.

Forum Member

Better safe then sorry.
    Been here two months and you are already pulling the "I forgot what my own post said" syndrome.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Now THAT'S funny!!!

I bet Vinny has already seen more fire in one busy weekend in his firehouse than you have and will see for the rest of your natural career........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Been here two months and you are already pulling the "I forgot what my own post said" syndrome.
    Been here 7 years and you still don't know how to read and comprehend a forum post.

I never said I forgot what my post said I know EXACTLY what my post said, and that first video shows EXACTLY what my post was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Now THAT'S funny!!!

I bet Vinny has already seen more fire in one busy weekend in his firehouse than you have and will see for the rest of your natural career........
    And yet... he acts like he does not know the dangers of a back draft or flash over. Interesting.

Forum Member

And yet... he acts like he does not know the dangers of a back draft or flash over. Interesting.
    I agree with you! Scene safeyt is paramount. No telling how many looky loo's or rubber neckers can wander into the path of a backdraft at the exact moment it happens on every fire.
    Good of you to bring this to our attention. This is something we should be training on all the time.

How many flashovers and backdrafts have you been caught in? I'm still around because we get there after it happens, and fortunately no bystanders are ever hurt when it happens.
    VinnieB likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Been here 7 years and you still don't know how to read and comprehend a forum post.

I never said I forgot what my post said I know EXACTLY what my post said, and that first video shows EXACTLY what my post was talking about.
    No...you don't have a clue. I've read over all your posts about 50 or so.....and each one is very leading to the fact that you are naive in many facets of the fire service. First, your tag line is a stupid quote from a stupid movie.....and then you elude to the fact that the you close off the street before your actually make a move in for a size up....but your video posts are contradictory. The first was a well advanced fire and well into the operation....notice the master streams operating on the sidewalk. Most places leave the front open in those cases and move to operate on the corners, mostly because of the collapse potential....more firemen have been killed from collapses then backdrafts. Furthermore, I know that most of the populated US does not have the luxury of wide open empty streets, you can close a street...sure...but what about all the folks stuck in the block? the parked cars? the restaurant or buildings across the street? Is it a street....road, highway, avenue...alley? Then what? Also....generally, if you get the roof opened up...especially on taxpayers...your drastically reduce the possibility of a backdraft, now...there are considerations such as reinforced roofs...steel plating, bow strings, load...etc etc etc...but generally at a minimum...bowstrings excluded...you can at least pop a skylight or two before you get off.

Now...the second video....that was Chicago and it was the rear of a PD and an extremely rare event occurred...it was quasi-textbook until the backdraft....now...you shut the front street....how about the rear? Are we to evacuate EVERY surrounding occupancy...."just to be safe then sorry?" What about rear tenements? Alley ways? Set backs? Size of the rear yard? Is it a restaurant? Cafe? playground? As per your logic....only the front needs to be "shut down"....

How about if it the building occupies the corner?

think about it all....sport.....

Well...now you hit a little to close to home....I was going to be cordial and humble....but "F" it.....so here it goes....

Now....I am a 3d generation fireman...all in the same city. My Father....his uncle...and his youngest brother...then me. My eldest uncle retired after 30 years....my father after 23, cut short due to blown lungs....his brother...my other uncle...never made it...he was killed with all of his company, plus a few, in the life of duty with one of the cities Rescue Companies. As for me....I have been a Vollie for over 20 years and a career guy for 8. I have been a member of a very rural dept, and a member or 2 other vollie depts who have high population densities. I have been a career fireman for 8 years in the largest city in the US, I worked in one of the busiest engine companies in the city...and I currently work in a very storied and great Ladder companies serving one of the OLDEST and most DIVERSE areas (population and construction) in the city. I will also mention that I have survived TWO flashovers.....one as a vollie in 2002 and most recently at my job in January 2011...the latter of which sent me to the burn center. I am one of the guys in the video from the NFFF...an organization I have assisted when and where I could. On top of all that....I have operated at fatal firefighter fires....of guys I knew. So....please tell me how I am not accepting the dangers of flashover/backdraft again......?

You're a buff......and you are trying to come off as someone in the know..with ZERO experience.....as proven by your posts. Everyone who has been around probably got a great laugh from your original "backdraft-esk" post....I was going to let it slide and let you entertain me, but your last statement hit a nerve...which rarely ever happens...chances are it was because I just got home from a long 24....who knows....regardless...for me to see someone accuse me of not knowing safety....without knowing my pedigree...(which is in previous posts)....irked me....I think about my Uncle Pete every friggin day....I was at the job he died at.....and we NEVER recovered a damn thing...NOTHING......I have nothing.....then having to help my father who's ailing...who's lungs are so shot from fighting more fires then I could ever imagine...who tells me every day....be safe...wear your mask...use your head....and my favorite..."you can replace the building, but you can't replace the fireman......" When I got caught in the flashover in January...the toughest thing I had to do was not making the push that got me ****ed up....it was calling my family and fiancee from the hospital myself.......to explain why I was there and that my hands, ears, neck, arm and leg were a bit toasty......and I dunno if you ever been burned bad enough to have the pleasure of the burn debriding......but it will make change your ways a bit....

So in closing....before you post stupid crap like how cops need firemen as heroes....or the backdraft referenced BS....or try to attack the character of another member....you better be sure you know what your are talking about...

Again.....here's a quote I've used before...

"Anyone who has declared someone else to be an idiot, a bad apple, is annoyed when it turns out in the end that he isn't."

And one of my favorites....

"(sic)...Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all."

Yes....they are from the same brilliant mind.....
    IACOJ Member

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I agree with you! Scene safeyt is paramount. No telling how many looky loo's or rubber neckers can wander into the path of a backdraft at the exact moment it happens on every fire.
    Good of you to bring this to our attention. This is something we should be training on all the time.

How many flashovers and backdrafts have you been caught in? I'm still around because we get there after it happens, and fortunately no bystanders are ever hurt when it happens.
    So because you arrive after the fact means it NEVER happens while FF's are on scene. Oh thank heavens I feel better now. Guess that 2nd video was fabricated.

No...you don't have a clue. I've read over all your posts about 50 or so.....and each one is very leading to the fact that you are naive in many facets of the fire service.
    And everything you have posted in this single thread has shown me that you know jack **** about how to maintain public safety on a fire scene.

First, your tag line is a stupid quote from a stupid movie.....
    WTF does that have to do with anything? Don't like the movie OH WELL Don't like my sig? OH F'ing WELL. Maybe I will change it just for you. "Funny thing about *** holes, night and day, they're still *** holes."

and then you elude to the fact that the you close off the street before your actually make a move in for a size up....
    Your damn right. I would rather have a few people ****ed off at us for blocking a street, then to have the families of DEAD people ****ed off that we didn't block off the scene.

but your video posts are contradictory.
    My videos were shoing you WHY you need to block the streets. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that. Being Mr. Perfect Firefighter you are.

The first was a well advanced fire and well into the operation....notice the master streams operating on the sidewalk. Most places leave the front open in those cases and move to operate on the corners, mostly because of the collapse potential....more firemen have been killed from collapses then backdrafts.
    What the hell does any of that have to do with keeping civilians out of the scene?

Furthermore, I know that most of the populated US does not have the luxury of wide open empty streets, you can close a street...sure...but what about all the folks stuck in the block? the parked cars? the restaurant or buildings across the street?
    What about them??? As long as they are not driving or walking in front of the scene?
    Jesus Christ, Do you not know anything about SAFETY???????

Is it a street....road, highway, avenue...alley? Then what?
    Again What does it matter? KEEP THE PUBLIC at a safe distance is the goal here.

Also....generally, if you get the roof opened up...especially on taxpayers...your drastically reduce the possibility of a backdraft,
    So while you are taking time to do all that. Getting a ladder, getting up on the roof, cutting a hole, ect. Some car drives by, and is in the danger zone.

Now...the second video....that was Chicago and it was the rear of a PD and an extremely rare event occurred...it was quasi-textbook until the backdraft....now...you shut the front street....how about the rear? Are we to evacuate EVERY surrounding occupancy...."just to be safe then sorry?" What about rear tenements? Alley ways? Set backs? Size of the rear yard? Is it a restaurant? Cafe? playground? As per your logic....only the front needs to be "shut down"....
    Well, First of all, that video was to show you that back drafts do go "boom" since you seems confused about that. second off, Yes firefighters should have walked the perimeter and made sure neighbors were at a safe distance.

How about if it the building occupies the corner?
    Well lets see professor, lets see. Maybe block off the 2 streets around the building and secure the perimeter to make sure it is safe

think about it all....sport.....
    Take your own advice.

Well...now you hit a little to close to home....I was going to be cordial and humble....but "F" it.....so here it goes....

Now....I am a 3d generation fireman...all in the same city. My Father....his uncle...and his youngest brother...then me. My eldest uncle retired after 30 years....my father after 23, cut short due to blown lungs....his brother...my other uncle...never made it...he was killed with all of his company, plus a few, in the life of duty with one of the cities Rescue Companies. As for me....I have been a Vollie for over 20 years and a career guy for 8. I have been a member of a very rural dept, and a member or 2 other vollie depts who have high population densities. I have been a career fireman for 8 years in the largest city in the US, I worked in one of the busiest engine companies in the city...and I currently work in a very storied and great Ladder companies serving one of the OLDEST and most DIVERSE areas (population and construction) in the city. I will also mention that I have survived TWO flashovers.....one as a vollie in 2002 and most recently at my job in January 2011...the latter of which sent me to the burn center. I am one of the guys in the video from the NFFF...an organization I have assisted when and where I could. On top of all that....I have operated at fatal firefighter fires....of guys I knew. So....please tell me how I am not accepting the dangers of flashover/backdraft again......?
    I could give a crap how long you have been a firefighter or any of your family. Your replies in this thread alone show me that you are a typical "know it all" that don't know jack about what your talking about. You act like Fires are just fun and games. I have given you 2 videos showing you the dangers within the fire scene and reasons to block the public from getting too close. YOU choose to be ignorant and act like you are captain firefighter.

You're a buff......and you are trying to come off as someone in the know..with ZERO experience.....as proven by your posts.
    I have been in the fire service for 12 years and been on many scenes involving flash overs and back drafts. So stick your "ZERO experience" comment up your butt.

Everyone who has been around probably got a great laugh from your original "backdraft-esk" post....
    Then everyone around are morons and know nothing about fire scene safety and need to be retrained or fired.

I was going to let it slide and let you entertain me, but your last statement hit a nerve...which rarely ever happens...chances are it was because I just got home from a long 24....who knows....regardless...for me to see someone accuse me of not knowing safety....without knowing my pedigree...(which is in previous posts)....irked me....
    Awww did the truth hurt?

So in closing....before you post stupid crap like how cops need firemen as heroes....or the backdraft referenced BS....or try to attack the character of another member....you better be sure you know what your are talking about...
    And before you post stupid crap about how there is no need to block off street on a fire scene, you better know what you're (as in you are) talking about.

Again.....here's a quote I've used before...

"Anyone who has declared someone else to be an idiot, a bad apple, is annoyed when it turns out in the end that he isn't."
    How did those words taste?

And one of my favorites....

"(sic)...Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all."
    Then we need to contact your chief and tell him not to allow you on a fire scene until someone else has made it safe.

Yes....they are from the same brilliant mind.....
    Obviously not yours.

Forum Member

Both of those videos shows smoke showing. You lose.

Vinnie owned you the rest of the way. Just stop typing.
    fyrmnk and ATFDFF like this.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... Last

Thread Information