Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Pubic Hair's boys on a statewide deployment....I thought that wouldnt happen???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Look our makeup is totaly different. I am still eager for new experiences and I am fully aware that this, like any other major incident with crews from all over being deployed, is generally closer to a cluster than a well oiled machine.

The only major deployment I have been on was a one day forest fire that involved fire departments from 4 counties and burned areas in 2 counties. I am nearer the end of my career than the beginning and I would find this an opportunity of my career that I couldn't pass up. I know full well the hardships that go with this type of deployment, but that would not stop my desire to go.

I don't expect you to understand, but then again I don't really care if you do. I have not retired while on the payroll to a desk and dodging dangerous duty. I am still fully here and looking for the challenges of my career, not avoiding them.
    I would hardly call what i do "retire while on the payroll". And neither would my department.

I know it may be hard to beleive but there are many functions that can be performed that have nothing in the least to do with fireground operations that are just as, and in some cases, more important than fireground operations. While I still can perform on the fireground, in my career FD, there is simply not the need as the volunteer base gives me the opportunity to windown my fireground role after 33 years.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    While I still can perform on the fireground, in my career FD, there is simply not the need as the volunteer base gives me the opportunity to windown my fireground role after 33 years.
    Like I said our makeup is totally different. I still want the action, I still want to make that hallway with smoke and fire, I still want the challenges of the job, and I am still more than capable of doing the job. Most of the time the youngsters are working to keep up with me.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Oh, my. He used an acronym used by the entire education system and governments throughout the country? Quick, call the hungry pack of hyenas that follow him around like little school boys with a chubby kid to tease and humiliate.

Really, resorting to this kind of attack just shows the pack of hyenas to be lacking in class and juvenile. I seldom read the threads when the thugs start ganging up on him but, in the ones I have read I can't remember LA ever resorting to personal attacks or spittle flecked posts like his attackers. What I always see is LA sticking to his guns which drives the lower IQed attackers nuts.

LA seems to be the only one in these slug fests with any class whatsoever.

That said, it is really getting old.
    I guess since the pro-Pierce posters have been driven to other forums LA has become the new chew toy.
    BurninLuv likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Like I said our makeup is totally different. I still want the action, I still want to make that hallway with smoke and fire, I still want the challenges of the job, and I am still more than capable of doing the job. Most of the time the youngsters are working to keep up with me.
    You forgot to mention how modest you are.
    Last edited by firepundit; 09-03-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added quote.
    BurninLuv likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Why not do your FD's and the rest of the fire service a favor and quit now?
    That would sure make your life empty, wouldn't it. I'll bet you have a special room in your house with pictures of LA and screenshots of his posts papering the walls. Probably a lot of candles and an altar lined with FFI and FFII study guides. If he didn't post here, whose heels would you be biting?

Forum Member

Yours.....
    BWHAHAHAHA!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Yours.....
    BWHAHAHAHA!
    Yeah. Well. You don't see me following him around like a little thug. You are the one with the fixation. Seek help. If you can't discuss the topic without resorting to childish insults you really aren't adding anything to the discussion, only playground taunts.

Every year, serious people sit down and discuss the problems facing the fire service multiple times at multiple locations. My guess is, you never get invited. Rational people who have disagreements can often get along. Thankfully, most of the people I have ever seen at these meetings are not as snide, malicious, or nasty as you. If you actually are one of those people then you are a hypocrite. My guess is you never get invited. Either way, you are not adding anything to the discussion if all you can do is insult anyone with a different opinion.

But hey, keep up the good work of running with the pack. It just shows how much you can think for yourself.

Woof. Woof.

Forum Member

Are you really that much of a stuffed shirt?
    Are you a Bobby fanboi?
    Do you really think I give a fat rats rump about what you think about me?

I care deeply about the job...and go to as many seminars and courses that I can to learn even more about the job. As a matter of fact, I have taken part in some of these discussions with "serious" people and discussed the problems that my profession faces.

If you are in Bobby's "camp" you are part of the "problem"... those that are tearing apart the very fabric and traditions that the fire service was built on.
    FWDbuff likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    There isnt anything I posted that isn't true. I am sorry if that offends your tender sensibilities.

I DO still want the action, I DO still want to make that hallway filled with smoke and fire, I DO still want the challenges of the job. No one, whether on my career job, my 2 POC FDs, and the tech college I teach for has ever said to me "Don't you think it is time to hang it up?" I will know before they do and I will be 100% honest with myself because I don't want to be that guy people talk about and say "PHUCK! He should have retired a long time ago."

If all of that makes me immodest so be it.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Thanks Pundit.

Appreciate the backup brother.

I don't really listen to those here that beleive that taking more care of us, utilizing risk v. benefit to reduce the risks we take in unsafe situations, expanding the volunteer fire service to include those that may not be able to or wish to perform interior firefighting, and not mandating irrelevant and inapplicable training that will destroy the ability of the volunteer fire service to recruit and retain enough personnel to safely operate will destroy the fabric of the American fire service. The fact is changing the way we do business will keep more of the brothers alive and make the fire service, especially the volunteer service, stronger and more viable in the future.

Once again. appreciate the backup.

Forum Member

Thanks Pundit.

I don't really listen to those here that beleive that taking more care of us, utilizing risk v. benefit to reduce the risks we take in unsafe situations, Irrelevant to this conversation and frankly just another lie from you. The biggest difference is your line in the sand of risk vs benefit has you not responding to most calls. Mine has me going and determining what is am what isn'tappropriate fireground strategy and tactics. expanding the volunteer fire service to include those that may not be able to or wish to perform interior firefighting, I don't have any problem with having a community member doing office work, landscaping, and similar NON-fireground taks. and not mandating irrelevant and inapplicable training that will destroy the ability of the volunteer fire service to recruit and retain enough personnel to safely operate will destroy the fabric of the American fire service. This sentence is just another example of the garbled nonsense you spew. If FF1 is so irrelevant and inapplicable then WHY does YOUR FD require it for promotion? The fact is changing the way we do business will keep more of the brothers alive and make the fire service, especially the volunteer service, stronger and more viable in the future. No, it won't. Frankly, your vision of a totally pussified outstanding fire service doesn't interest me in the least. Risk management is just that, not a complete surrender to the fact that you might get a boo boo if you actually do something at a fire scene.

He was probably actually standing in front of you...
    Give it up PUBED!
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    WTF? Really? He merely stated what he feels, the way many of us do. As long as I can do the job, I will look forward everytime the tones drop to a new challenge, and new fight, and more action.

If you don't feel that way, it is time make sure the door does not hit you on the way to your retirement party, or in the case of LA, your retirement on the job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    WTF? Really? He merely stated what he feels, the way many of us do. As long as I can do the job, I will look forward everytime the tones drop to a new challenge, and new fight, and more action.

If you don't feel that way, it is time make sure the door does not hit you on the way to your retirement party, or in the case of LA, your retirement on the job.
    Interesting as you assume that because I am not on the street nearly as much, my job is devoid of challenges.

Developing and implementing new public education programs. Developing and implementing new firefighter training programs. Developing and implementing new administrative systems for tracking data . Developing new ways to document and track structural and pre-plan information. Writing grants.

All of these are essential fire department functions that I find very challenging and just as important as street operations.

By the way, I still respond to most fires, significant MVAs and rescue situations in my FT job, either in an primarily non-interior operational or command role. It's just that I am no longer needed to work interior very much as we have plenty of young bodies to handle that function and I recognize the fact that I am getting older. On the volunteer side, I still work interior, so I would hardly say that I am "retired" from the street. It's primarily the routine EMS calls on the FT side that I no longer respond on.

And yes, I have no problems in saying that I am hoping that I will be able to come off the street completely within the next couple of years on both the FT and volunteer side.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting as you assume that because I am not on the street nearly as much, my job is devoid of challenges.
    Interesting that you put words in my mouth. I never said your job does not have its challenges. I could be a real smart as@ and say it must be a challenge finding the coffee pot, but I digress.

Every job has its challenges. Even the custodial staff has its challenges.

You have a challenge to make your training informative, interesting, effective, and timely. Myself if that was the challenges I faced I would be out looking for something more interesting. If those are the challenges you are comfortable with more power to you.

Me, I want to be in the thick of it, passing along my training and experience to the "young bodies" until I am not able to perform.
    FyredUp likes this.

the 4-1-4

I will look forward everytime the tones drop to a new challenge, and new fight, and more action.

If you don't feel that way, it is time make sure the door does not hit you on the way to your retirement party... your retirement on the job.
    Really? Because I for one, do not look forward to seeing bones broken, people burned, bodies trapped in machinery or, worse yet, firemen hurt and killed. That is what happens when we respond to a "new" challenge or a new fight. Every "challenge" and "new fight" that we look forward to is some other persons tragedy; sometimes it becomes our tragedy.

It drives me nuts when guys at work talk this way. I never wish for work. Bad things happen when we go to work. People are hurt, maimed, killed or have their lives changed forever. Does that mean that I am afraid to go to work? No, but you will never, ever see me wishing for work.

Feel free to paint these comments however you want to. However, to wish for a tragedy so you can do your thing is kind of sick, in my opinion.

Work happens, it always has and always will. When it comes my way, I have no problem performing my job to the best of my abilities and knowledge. I would just hate to have wished for a fire, and have it strike tragedy very close to home.
    Last edited by Jasper 45; 09-05-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    BurninLuv likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks Pundit.

I don't really listen to those here that beleive that taking more care of us, utilizing risk v. benefit to reduce the risks we take in unsafe situations, Irrelevant to this conversation and frankly just another lie from you. The biggest difference is your line in the sand of risk vs benefit has you not responding to most calls. Mine has me going and determining what is am what isn't appropriate fireground strategy and tactics.

Funny thing is I do that on the volunteer side and occasionally on the career side. Is it something that gets me pumped? Not anymore. When possible I let a younger person take the role and I observe as I have a limited number of years left. They don't, and they need the experience.

Expanding the volunteer fire service to include those that may not be able to or wish to perform interior firefighting, I don't have any problem with having a community member doing office work, landscaping, and similar NON-fireground taks.

Ya, I know, if they can't do the whole job they don't belong on the fireground blah blah blahhh. I guess I would rather rather open the fireground up to exterior and limited duty firefighters and have 20 members, half of which can't go interior but can drive and pump apparatus and support interior operations in the hot zone rather than just 10 interior folks. Probably just me.

and not mandating irrelevant and inapplicable training that will destroy the ability of the volunteer fire service to recruit and retain enough personnel to safely operate will destroy the fabric of the American fire service. This sentence is just another example of the garbled nonsense you spew. If FF1 is so irrelevant and inapplicable then WHY does YOUR FD require it for promotion?

Alrfeady explained that .. broader scope of knowledge needed for decsion-making and leadership beyond the rank of firefighter, access to specialized training, etc etc etc. When you can tell me what is the real world hands-on value knowing how to make a standpipe or the types of alarm systems to a firefighter in a department that responds to none of those, we can discuss the merits of FFI for rookies. Wait ... we've done that before.

The fact is changing the way we do business will keep more of the brothers alive and make the fire service, especially the volunteer service, stronger and more viable in the future.

No, it won't. Frankly, your vision of a totally pussified outstanding fire service doesn't interest me in the least. Risk management is just that, not a complete surrender to the fact that you might get a boo boo if you actually do something at a fire scene.

Never stated we should surrender but we need to recognize that we are committing a lot of energy, and bl;ood, to the fights that we simply can't win. There is no dishonor in stepping back and saying "it's not worth it" and allowing buildings to burn, and yes, not attempting rescues where the chances and minimal and the risks to us are significant.

That's especially true where response times, training, experience, manpower and water supply are usually against us, in abondoned and vacant structursd and in lightweight and truss construction.

He was probably actually standing in front of you...

Ya..... Right.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    Really? Because I for one, do not look forward to seeing bones broken, people burned, bodies trapped in machinery or, worse yet, firemen hurt and killed. That is what happens when we respond to a "new" challenge or a new fight. Every "challenge" and "new fight" that we look forward to is some other persons tragedy; sometimes it becomes our tragedy.

It drives me nuts when guys at work talk this way. I never wish for work. Bad things happen when we go to work. People are hurt, maimed, killed or have their lives changed forever. Does that mean that I am afraid to go to work? No, but you will never, ever see me wishing for work.

Feel free to paint these comments however you want to. However, to wish for a tragedy so you can do your thing is kind of sick, in my opinion.

Work happens, it always has and always will. When it comes my way, I have no problem performing my job to the best of my abilities and knowledge. I would just hate to have wished for a fire, and have it strike tragedy very close to home.
    I can't speak for LVFD301, but I believe I know what he means. I can't say no one doesn't wish for the action, but I don't think the majority does. Most don't wish for it to happen, but if it does happen they want it to happen on their watch so they can use their training and skills to work towards a positive outcome.
    LVFD301 and ATFDFF like this.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post

Please. If my not wanting to go to a call would stop calls from going then I pray to God I never have to go to another call - ever. I don't look forward to peoples pain and suffering, but what I do look forward to is my chance to lessen that pain and suffering, by putting out a fire, by providing medical care, by delivering water during ice storms, bringing out the command bus, by whatever means I have to help mitigate that threat.

I don't "look" for work, but when it happens I attack it, yes ATTACK it, with all I can do, and I enjoy what I do.

Challenges as I have posted take many forms. Proper utilization of my people can be a challenge. Delivering bottled water to every resident in my district because they are on wells and power has been out for days. Ice over everything. Challenge.

My days (and I had them) of "wanting" a fire or a call ended back in the very early 80's. My days of wanting to be able to be an effective member of a team that will mitigate hazardous, life threatening, or loss of property situations has not ended yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Trust me.. IT would be a once in a lifetime.

From what we have been hearing from the crews most of the turf wars and serious communication/deployment problems that were supposedly taken care of by the plan that was developed post-Katrina have resurfaced in this event, and much of that plan has been shot to hell.

As an example, search and rescue was supposed to be the purvey of Wildlife and Fisheries supplying the boats and operators, and the fire service providing crews. The National Guard has assumed much of the search and rescue role, which is not part of the plan.

I have no desire to deal with the crap, miscommunication and deployment issues that the crews have been reporting back to us.
    As some one who just returned from the area I can tell you that your statement is false. But then again, I'm only going by first hand experience and not hearsay.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    As some one who just returned from the area I can tell you that your statement is false. But then again, I'm only going by first hand experience and not hearsay.
    That's according to the members that were deployed, as well as my dealings with the deployment process on this end.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-07-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Forum Member

That's according to the members that were deployed, as well as my dealings with the deployment process on this end.
    You and your members wouldnt know a properly run operation from a bad one if they clubbed you all over the head.
    LVFD301 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    And who decided you were allowed to bring facts into the thread?

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe with better supervision they would not have had the issues? Perhaps a reason to bring some of the "old dogs" on the deployment?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Maybe with better supervision they would not have had the issues? Perhaps a reason to bring some of the "old dogs" on the deployment?
    Actually the three Chief officers and one Captain had been on deployments before.

Forum Member

Actually the three Chief officers and one Captain had been on deployments before.
    Bite your tongue Don, bite your tongue. Take the high road, take the high road...Must resist the urge to comment, MUST RESIST THE URGE!!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information